Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2022, 08:28 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
These same people who are pro-abortion say that we need more immigrants because of a labor shortage. I guess they can't put two and two together.
Hate to break it to you but The Handmaid’s Tale was written as a factionalized warning of times to come and not as a how-to manual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2022, 08:38 PM

62,885 posts, read 29,114,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Hate to break it to you but The Handmaid’s Tale was written as a factionalized warning of times to come and not as a how-to manual.
Huh?

Old 09-22-2022, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Fantastic!

So perhaps you can enlighten me as to why IVF has been specifically exempted from the law in Indiana?

There is no law against indefinite storage or destruction of embryos. IVF is excepted from abortion law, so if you need to “selectively reduce” the number of embryos in the womb, you can go ahead and do that.

If you have too many children and don’t know what to do with your unused embryos, you can have them put into the uterus so they’ll pass with your next menstrual period.

So to wit, it appears ok to kill life as long as ya didn’t have sex to make it.

Thoughts?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wth...f-b63fc6b3ba20

(I have no issue with either abortion or IVF, FTR.)
I have no idea what you are talking about. On a personal level I believe that abortion should be allowed under the following criteria......

In cases of rape and incest
To protect the life and physical health of the mother
If a fetus is diagnosed with a lethal anomaly

Old 09-22-2022, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
It's not your body involved either. MYOB!
Killing another human being just out of inconvenience should be the business and concern of us all.

Old 09-22-2022, 08:48 PM

32,055 posts, read 15,049,740 times
Quote:
I have no idea what you are talking about. On a personal level I believe that abortion should be allowed under the following criteria......

But what would women have to go through to prove it was rape or incest. Aren't they already traumatized enough by the assault they had to endure.

Old 09-22-2022, 08:50 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,463,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Like most states, the true majority is diluted through gerrymandering that disproportionately allocates seats to rural, conservative districts. This is how it is possible for Republicans to put through laws that, were they put to a vote of the people would be easily rejected. All states should have an easily accessible referendum process to limit partisan abuse that circumvents the will of the voters.
Tony Evers, Dem gov of our state which has both legislative houses controlled by Republicans, did just that - proposed a referendum on abortion. In the news today, GOP legislature shot it down:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...ly/8071349001/

WI gerrymandering has resulted in popular vote going Democrat, but an over 60% GOP representation in the legislature. Democrats in this state are powerless, including our Gov.

The only way the GOP will see the light is when one of their daughters/wives is denied an abortion even when their life is at stake because doctors fear a lawsuit - and these women die as a result, leaving their living children motherless. In TX and other states, for now these women are sent home, with a variety of life-threatening conditions, to wait it out because the laws are too broad - i.e., define 'life of the mother.' In the past, a termination would have been considered medically necessary, sound procedure. Some OB/GYNs are choosing to not practice in states with laws such as ours because they can't use common sense medical procedures without risk of a lawsuit.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 09-22-2022 at 09:45 PM..

Old 09-23-2022, 07:08 AM

18,387 posts, read 19,012,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Fantastic!

So perhaps you can enlighten me as to why IVF has been specifically exempted from the law in Indiana?

There is no law against indefinite storage or destruction of embryos. IVF is excepted from abortion law, so if you need to “selectively reduce” the number of embryos in the womb, you can go ahead and do that.

If you have too many children and don’t know what to do with your unused embryos, you can have them put into the uterus so they’ll pass with your next menstrual period.

So to wit, it appears ok to kill life as long as ya didn’t have sex to make it.

Thoughts?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wth...f-b63fc6b3ba20

(I have no issue with either abortion or IVF, FTR.)
Wonder why this never gets answered by anti choice?

Old 09-23-2022, 07:12 AM

18,387 posts, read 19,012,572 times
Quote:
It's not just the female body involved.
A fetus doesn’t trump the right of a woman’s own desires. Until a artificial womb is invented, a woman has the choice if she wants to remain pregnant or not. Her choice.

Old 09-23-2022, 07:32 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,869,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
A fetus doesn’t trump the right of a woman’s own desires. Until a artificial womb is invented, a woman has the choice if she wants to remain pregnant or not. Her choice.
Not in the America the GOP/American Taliban/Christian fundamentalists envision. Which is why it's so important for every women in the country--and the men who love them and want them to remain first class citizens--to go to the polls to make sure the GOP doesn't gain control of Congress. Women's rights to autonomy over their own lives is on the ballot in every single state.

Old 09-23-2022, 04:09 PM

13,413 posts, read 9,945,815 times
Quote:

I’m talking about the process of IVF being explicitly exempt from abortion legislation in Indiana.

It’s exempt so as not to interfere with people’s IVF treatment. The reason it’s even necessary to explicitly exempt IVF from abortion laws is because

a) embryos are routinely destroyed in the process if they are not needed

and

b) embryos are sometimes destroyed in the womb after implantation if too many are successful and the parents don’t want multiples

This cannot be tenable for people that argue it’s wrong to terminate life at the embryonic stage when it’s been conceived via sexual intercourse.

Don’t those test tube embryos have the same right to life? Why has IVF been excluded from the law?

Seems like a double standard to me.

(I have no issues with a naturally pregnant woman choosing to terminate an embryo or an IVF enabled pregnant woman doing the same. I just don’t get why some pro lifers think it’s ok in one instance and not the other.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections