Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 09:25 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,262,578 times

Advertisements

Food: Around me (near Chicago) French bakery (mostly breads) is commonly found mixed amoung other bakery. There are a couple of French specific places I know of. French words are frequently used by stores (naming, advertising) to denote high quality or rich.

Generally, I believe there is a positive attitude towards France, although stereotypes can still be heard. I believe France is quite beautiful (only been there twice), but I was a bit turned off by certain attitudes while visiting Paris. I had a friend that was a wonderful person from a rural part of france a few years back, she has since moved back to the countryside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 11:43 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,496,614 times
Default Damnit, just wont let me do it in all capital letters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
food: Around me (near chicago) french bakery (mostly breads) is commonly found mixed amoung other bakery. There are a couple of french specific places i know of. French words are frequently used by stores (naming, advertising) to denote high quality or rich.

Generally, i believe there is a positive attitude towards france, although stereotypes can still be heard. I believe france is quite beautiful (only been there twice), but i was a bit turned off by certain attitudes while visiting paris. I had a friend that was a wonderful person from a rural part of france a few years back, she has since moved back to the countryside.

lol

Old 01-06-2012, 06:52 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,194,639 times
You guys wear perfume instead of bathing, and women don't shave. Lol, just kidding .

France is awesome. Love their passion for life, the way they do things. Can't wait to visit.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:40 PM

26,849 posts, read 22,687,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

Even my cat prefers French cat food; the neighbor's cat comes for dinner most nights, as well.

( I can believe that, but I still don't like French bread too much.
Pumpernickel please.)

Old 01-06-2012, 09:25 PM

1,946 posts, read 2,569,356 times
Mistral class amphibious assault ship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-06-2012, 10:13 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,867,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpines View Post
Hello, I'm a French student. I have to do a homework about american's vision of France. More precisely about French baker install in america.. If you have any opinion about that, I will be glad to heard it! Thank you for your response
I'm a Canadian who travels at every opportunity possible to sample foods in the US. There are very few good French bakeries in North America. I can get better pâtisserie at the hotels than say at Fauchon (NY). Also, it is impossible to find any bakeries that sell "gallette des rois".

Last edited by dougie86; 01-06-2012 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: missing word

Old 01-08-2012, 09:37 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,824,808 times
Beautiful country, wonderful language, wonderful food.

interestingly enough, it seems to me (as a woman) that most French women are remarkably self-confident, regardless of being very beautiful (many of them are indeed) or not. It is an (admirable) attitude thing.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:49 AM

59 posts, read 134,762 times
Hello,

i'm french (lived in Paris most of my life) and i'm living in Miami Beach for 2 years now. I'd like to add my 2 cents :

- Yes, a lot of french people are sometimes arrogant, especially when talking to strangers, but this is mostly because they never traveled anywhere. They think they know better than anyone because of the brainwash from politics & tv. Arrogance can often be mixed up with ignorance. I could say the same when talking with american people by the way, wich i don't because i know all americans are not properly educated and curious about the world, the same about french people.

Don't trust french medias, our journalists are all leftists who hate capitalism, they definitively not representing all the french people! But if you asked me, i will never go back to France. Our politics are only interested in inviting all the poor people of the planet. You think you have a problem with immigration ? From my point of view, I see you're following the same path as France. Soon, you will all pay a sh## load of taxes to finance the american way of life of everyone but americans. I only can hope you'll stop this before it's too late as it is for France.

- Forget the so called french bakeries in Miami. Their bread is awfull, even from french bakeries like "Paul". Best bread i had in the us was in NY. Food is florida is baaaaaaaad ! :-)

PS : sorry for my english, still a work in progress ^^

Old 01-08-2012, 06:08 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,254,139 times
I love France, I've been there 3 times in different places (Lille, Paris and a small town in the South) and I thought it was great The people were very nice, esp. in Lille. I went there on a school trip with my French class, we had to interview people on the street to practice for our oral exam and I was a bit nervous about it (hearing all the stereotypes about how French people are rude and arrogant) but the people were incredibly nice and helpful!

Old 01-09-2012, 05:17 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,896,045 times
Kudos to you jasperz, at last a French person I 100% share the opinion!
(by the way...I'm French too!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe