Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 01:56 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,015,433 times

Advertisements

I wonder if our French student will come back and let us know how these responses helped her class project. I imagine that, while her (his?) English was just fine, she'd probably have to print off this thread and decipher some of the political conversations.

And wow, we sure do have a lot of stereotypes that we grasp with white knuckles. For the French person in Miami, she sounds quite intelligent and then says something like all Americans are uneducated. Wow...really? I mean, with the precision you were giving facts of your own country, I was thinking you wouldn't make such a rash statement.

Or the other poster who said that American women aren't something to brag about. Really? All of them? Stereotypes have a place but I think that while everyone here had some valid and entertaining opinions, I'd like to see the blanket statements wind down. And I hope our student can wade through all of this for it to be helpful...was it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 03:35 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don't think throwing them up with the Nazis is appropriate at all. What happened in the Nazi regime was extreme in its rhetoric from the very beginning, and extreme in a very terrifying way. Throwing that comment out there is almost designed to shut down a conversation rather than any rational argument for the policies at hand. I should state that I am by no means a member or supporter of the NF.
Not to get off topic again, but...

What's your point? Just because they are not deporting anybody to death camps dosen't mean they aren't just as bad.
Nothing is "left" about them. As I already said, supporting the French welfare system dosen't make them "left" or anything they stand for. Hitler did the same. How many people would vote for them if they didn't ? Maybe 1 or 2.. literally. Just an attempt to please the constituency and hunt for votes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperz View Post
I agree. Just ridiculous and insulting for nazis victims.
Nice attempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acatalanb View Post
I'm curious, what is the tax rate in France? And correct me if I'm wrong, France has completely free health care (including major surgeries) and completely free education (including universities)? When I say about completely free I meant you don't pay a cent. And is it also true that there's little room to move from job to job .... for example, after graduating from a university, the first job that you get will be the only job you will have the rest of your life?
Depends on what you are talking about. Not everything is 100% free. Nothing is 100% free, but when you go to the Hospital or doctor, it's covered. There are exceptions here and there.
I have a friend who is currently in Germany and is attending College there. She has to pay about 200 Euros per Semester, but she gets what they call a "Semester ticket". That's basically a ticket for the public transportation that's valid throughout the semester. The university does make you buy is,though. I think it's the same in France. Of course you are not gonna get get a ticket this cheap if you buy it yourself. I want to say you can expect to shell out at least 70 Euros for a monthly ticket. So, in a way you do pay some money for it.
I also don't think you are "stuck" at the same company. Not from my experience and what others tell me. Where did you get that from? That's a new one to me. At least not when you are talking about College graduates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
One thing I like about France is that it is not as bourgeoisie as America and Germany.
huh? Care to elaborate? Not following you here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
I wonder if our French student will come back and let us know how these responses helped her class project. I imagine that, while her (his?) English was just fine, she'd probably have to print off this thread and decipher some of the political conversations.

That's ok. Nobody knows who I am. LOL. He might as well print it out and pass it around.

Last edited by Glucorious; 01-11-2012 at 03:46 PM..

Old 01-11-2012, 03:50 PM

59 posts, read 134,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
For the French person in Miami, she sounds quite intelligent and then says something like all Americans are uneducated. Wow...really? I mean, with the precision you were giving facts of your own country, I was thinking you wouldn't make such a rash statement.
Sorry about that, i meant that there are american that are not educated about it, the same for french people, not that all them are not educated. It's an english mistake, my bad.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:26 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
After Canadian Forces joined france in the NATO mission in Libya I have to say that their Military is pretty well Rounded and starting to think the Rafale is one of the best Gen 4.5+ fighter planes out there and wish Canada would add them to our Airforce along with the F-35.

Rafale over Libya - YouTube
I think that Canada, The U.S., The Uk, France and Australia have one of the best Relationships and am proud to have such great allies..

Old 01-11-2012, 07:35 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,400,554 times
As a British person, I love France. I used to go on holiday to France many times and never had a bad time. I did a French exchange and I chose France as the first European country to expose my American wife to, and she loved it.

I don't agree that the French are rude. It's all about making an effort with the language and respecting their etiquette. So many Americans fall flat in that regard and come back saying they had an awful time in France and how rude the French were.

I love France though. I love the cuisine, the diverse landscapes, the architecture, the cheeses, the wine and the football. My favourite part of France is Brittany, which is Ireland, Cornwall and France in a blender. If I ever get to move back to Europe as a whole, I would love to live in Rennes or Nantes.

For me, France is just as much "home" as anywhere in the UK.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:06 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Americans are fine ones, to complain about a French attitude of their own national superiority.
Great post. This statement, in particular.
The US and France have more in common than one might want to believe.

I really have a hard time understanding how anyone can think that the French are rude.

Tourists do bring out the worst in people, though.
Taking flash photos in the Louvre; stopping in the middle of the sidewalk to gawk as people are trying to get to work, etc. That type of behavior might bring out the worst in me.
Paris is just a large capital city; no different from Seoul, Bangkok, New York, Berlin, London, etc.

My French is so bad that people ask me to speak English, and I'm great with tourist charades.
That said, I spend lots of time in France and am pondering it for retirement. The architecture and history are amazing.

Last edited by chielgirl; 01-11-2012 at 08:14 PM..

Old 01-12-2012, 12:57 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Not to get off topic again, but...

What's your point? Just because they are not deporting anybody to death camps dosen't mean they aren't just as bad.
Nothing is "left" about them. As I already said, supporting the French welfare system dosen't make them "left" or anything they stand for. Hitler did the same. How many people would vote for them if they didn't ? Maybe 1 or 2.. literally. Just an attempt to please the constituency and hunt for votes.
I won't say that Le Pen isn't hunting for votes, but does that hunt involve decrying anyone who hasn't been franci-fied into an inferior race that must be exterminated completely? Does that it ask for a comparison to vermin that must not get any sympathy as human beings and simply be killed on the spot for the good of humanity?

Old 01-12-2012, 07:12 AM

191 posts, read 789,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
I also don't think you are "stuck" at the same company. Not from my experience and what others tell me. Where did you get that from? That's a new one to me. At least not when you are talking about College graduates.
I got that information either from Playboy Magazine (US edition) or the French magazine, Oui .

Old 01-12-2012, 07:16 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
Thanks jasperz, I still do live in the "old country", but I'm getting ready to spend retirement (soon to come) somewhere else -read Thailand or Costa Rica-
Cheers and best of luck

Old 01-12-2012, 07:29 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,116,314 times
I read that France is a nice place. Would love to visit the place of my great3x grandfather specially the place of Puy Laurent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe