Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 02:18 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,295,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Food: Around me (near Chicago) French bakery (mostly breads) is commonly found mixed amoung other bakery. There are a couple of French specific places I know of. French words are frequently used by stores (naming, advertising) to denote high quality or rich.
That isn't a Chicago thing, that's an English language thing.

Most of the English language changed with the Norman Invasion in 1066. The upper-classes were basically the French (in England), and they used the French language.

So, it's always had a more 'elegant' (pardon my French) sound to the French words....originating from around that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 02:19 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,246,751 times
France: Way too many Moslems.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:39 AM

59 posts, read 134,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don't think throwing them up with the Nazis is appropriate at all. What happened in the Nazi regime was extreme in its rhetoric from the very beginning, and extreme in a very terrifying way. Throwing that comment out there is almost designed to shut down a conversation rather than any rational argument for the policies at hand. I should state that I am by no means a member or supporter of the NF.

I agree. Just ridiculous and insulting for nazis victims.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:25 AM

191 posts, read 790,799 times
I'm curious, what is the tax rate in France? And correct me if I'm wrong, France has completely free health care (including major surgeries) and completely free education (including universities)? When I say about completely free I meant you don't pay a cent. And is it also true that there's little room to move from job to job .... for example, after graduating from a university, the first job that you get will be the only job you will have the rest of your life?

Old 01-11-2012, 07:34 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,337,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
I heard that the people in Paris are rude.
I hear that a lot of people make their comments from no first hand experience.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:18 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,200,461 times
In general., Americans regard French Cuisine as being "superior" to the cuisine of any other country. Any store that sells a prepared product that is described as "French" is trying to use that superiority as a selling point. Hence, French Bread is something special, above the level of simply American bread.

As for my personal experiences in France, I found the people to be no less hospitable and accommodating than anywhere else, and compared to most countries, I quite like France. The French language, historically, is of great importance and stature, perhaps exaggeratedly so from their own perspective, so France is the country where one is the least likely to encounter a bilingual person on a street corner. As a result, one's experience in France might hinge pretty much on one's ability and willingness to stumble through some rudimentary French, in order to make communications less problematic.

It can be very tiring to deal with people when you have no common language, and the French are perhaps weary of travelers who will not learn what they think is an "important language", just as Americans would be if we were flooded with tourists who could not speak any English at all.

Americans are fine ones, to complain about a French attitude of their own national superiority.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:22 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,599,381 times
i love france lived there for 5 years. speak french.
but i prefer quebec for visiting.
i get treated better there.
as a whole, french dont like americans. if they say they do, watch out.
but its ok, i dont like most americans and i am one of them.
u r right about the french food, its great. and american women are not something to brag about,
but i still would not leave america again, no, not for the world.
sweetest words i ever heard after 5 years gone, said by us customs, welcome home huck.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:31 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,263,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That isn't a Chicago thing, that's an English language thing.

Most of the English language changed with the Norman Invasion in 1066. The upper-classes were basically the French (in England), and they used the French language.

So, it's always had a more 'elegant' (pardon my French) sound to the French words....originating from around that time.
Excellent response Tiger beer, I have never studied the derivation of this.

Last night I was thinking about French food and thought, wow, I really dislike truffles, whether they are from France or China...especially at their crazy prices.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:23 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,812,479 times
In my view there is not one France, just like there is no one Germany or one Italy. With all countries of a certain size you have huge internal differences. NW France is quite different from the Mediterranean coast or Bordeaux for instance.
The NE is quite similar to SW Germany except for the language.

In my view France as a country is overrated, largely still profiting from its history just like other European countries.

Regarding people, it's like anywhere else, some are unfriendly, others are friendly...

All in all, I don't like France, one of the few countries in Europe that I have never even considered for relocation.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:53 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,216,786 times
One thing I like about France is that it is not as bourgeoisie as America and Germany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe