Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2014, 06:07 PM

435 posts, read 420,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow10 View Post
A couple days ago a United States ship was sent into the Black via the Hellespont. Not sure where it is but apparently it is in there. I didnt know about NATO being there. I believe I read that they had a few planes in the Baltic states.
We are told that a ship of NATO is in Odessa. Tomorrow morning I will know exactly)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 06:12 PM

5 posts, read 4,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by From Ukraine View Post
We are told that a ship of NATO is in Odessa. Tomorrow morning I will know exactly)
So where in Ukraine are you from? Are people still going to work, does anybody live their normal lives? I feel terrible for everyone in that country.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow10 View Post
So where in Ukraine are you from? Are people still going to work, does anybody live their normal lives? I feel terrible for everyone in that country.
I was born and live in Kiev. In our town all is quiet, only Maydan in a center a city All work, all as usual...but very experience certainly... yesterday read one military plan of capture of Ukraine...Wrote there, that Putin can bomb Kiev...but so far so good

Old 03-09-2014, 06:17 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by From Ukraine View Post
All so think about east, but it is a lie. A profit brings Dnepropetrovsk and Kharkov only. Donetsk and Lugansk - only losses. And all income is in the pockets of financial groups, but not in the budget of country

At first Ukraine talked about an association agreement, but last information- that Ukraine will be MEMBER of the European union. In 2 weeks, if all will be successful. Here it and riddle...the European union very quickly changed an association on MEMBERSHIP. It only argues that the Ukrainian government will go on everything for the sake of it.
I made a quick search about Ukrainian membership in E.U ( an offer) - there was nothing on it, but that's what I've found instead;

» The Looting Of Ukraine Has Begun Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Better start reading.

I'll read it later, because I have to to go to cook soup now )

Old 03-09-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I made a quick search about Ukrainian membership in E.U ( an offer) - there was nothing on it, but that's what I've found instead;

» The Looting Of Ukraine Has Begun Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

Better start reading.

I'll read it later, because I have to to go to cook soup now )
Enjoy your meal
And I go to sleep. tomorrow I will find you reference about membership in the European union...

Old 03-09-2014, 06:29 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
There have been conflicts between Ukrainians and other groups (including among Ukrainians) for centuries, not just between Ukrainians and Russians. Not implying fault of Ukrainians or there is something wrong with them, it is just that area has never had much peace on any level between the numerous groups there.
Considering that concepts of nations and nationalism is only 200 years +/- old, it's highly unlikely. There were no Ukrainians or Russians as we understand those terms just 300 years ago, I don't want to go in the lengthy discussions of differences between ethnicity and nationality. Concepts of ethnicity/nationality was not that important in all those centuries preceding the modern age of nation states. People didn't kill over ethnicity/nationality back then. The fact we just can't extrapolate back current Russian/Ukrainian attitudes towards ethnicity, nationality and state to say that Ukrainians always killed each other. It wasn't Ukrainians, it was Orthodox Christians killing Catholics and Greek-roman Christians (and the other way around) that happened to be ancestors of the modern Ukrainians and Russians.

What makes Russia/Ukraine special compared to other European nations is the the timing of their transition from traditional cultures of the mosaic loosely connected regions with strong local flavor/dialects to a uniform, nation state with a standardized written language and culture. Both Russia and Ukraine are late arrivals to the European mono-culture country club due to general lagging in economic development. Which I am glad they were late because I had a chance to glimpse at the dying remnants of the old ways and, gosh, modern mono-cultured man is a thoroughly deprived creature in many ways. But that's beside the point.

What's important is that Russia has lead Ukraine in this transition, mostly because upper class ethnic Ukrainians were contributing to the standardized Russian culture and language of Empire, thus they were becoming Russians in the sense of belonging to this newly created culture. Ukrainian peasants remained true to their vernacular mosaic cultures and dialects. Russians accuse Ukrainian culture/language to be "artificial", but they are not more "artificial" than Russian equivalents made from scratch in many instances by educated elites having little or nothing to do with traditional regional cultures of Russia. Ethnically Ukrainians peasants met the age of nationalism without educated elites able to distill dozens of mosaic ethnic cultures/dialects into a typical mono culture of a nation state. That transition is not finished yet, because of a variety of reasons.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:44 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Considering that concepts of nations and nationalism is only 200 years +/- old, it's highly unlikely. There were no Ukrainians or Russians as we understand those terms just 300 years ago, I don't want to go in the lengthy discussions of differences between ethnicity and nationality. Concepts of ethnicity/nationality was not that important in all those centuries preceding the modern age of nation states. People didn't kill over ethnicity/nationality back then. The fact we just can't extrapolate back current Russian/Ukrainian attitudes towards ethnicity, nationality and state to say that Ukrainians always killed each other. It wasn't Ukrainians, it was Orthodox Christians killing Catholics and Greek-roman Christians (and the other way around) that happened to be ancestors of the modern Ukrainians and Russians.
I agree and was not implying the nationalism idea, but just the idea the area is not new to conflict period, regardless of reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
What makes Russia/Ukraine special compared to other European nations is the the timing of their transition from traditional cultures of the mosaic loosely connected regions with strong local flavor/dialects to a uniform, nation state with a standardized written language and culture. Both Russia and Ukraine are late arrivals to the European mono-culture country club due to general lagging in economic development. Which I am glad they were late because I had a chance to glimpse at the dying remnants of the old ways and, gosh, modern mono-cultured man is a thoroughly deprived creature in many ways. But that's beside the point.
Lol, I agree. I lived and traveled in Ukraine and Russia, and throughout the former USSR, and speak Russian as well (plus my family is ethnic Ukrainian that still live in Ukraine); great experience and place to live, just the gov and local headaches are bothersome. I would love it if the place came up to at least Czech Republic standards.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:33 PM

3,102 posts, read 5,617,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Well, you say that they are Ukrainian, but in fact they proofed that there are armed Russian soldiers outside of the Black Sea Fleet's bases, with links to their VK profiles, which included selfies of them on Crimea. Status post: "I'm on "vacation" now."

Know the difference.
Russian soldiers:
http://nomorecocktails.com/images/RussiansCrimea12.jpg

Actual Crimean self-defense:
http://www.themalaymailonline.com/im...40_578_100.JPG

And how on earth is the rule of Aksyonov legitimate? His party got 4% at the last elections... The "parliament" of Crimea just appointed him secretly while the Russian military blocked the building.
Aksenov is the legitimate government, which was appointed as the legitimate government Yakunovicha. Yakunochich a legitimate government. Unlike those terrorists. Who appointed those who today in Kiev? As for the equipment of the soldiers. I already answered this question before. Do you think the US will help the terrorist, and Russia is not? Russian machinery. A little patience. Today, however, people from all over Russia are involved in the collection and delivery of care for residents of Ukraine. You better be more worried about the soldiers who shoot at civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan. I do not see that on such mass activists among you, and the media about it.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post

- Russia doesn't allow any organizations in which could supervise a referendum (OSCE).
This say you have there in the EU? For a referendum in the Crimea, Russia has invited to international observers, and all actions are legitimate. Most residents want to return home and that their city again became Russia. You may not even talk about it, as your ancestors did not create this region, guarded and shed their blood. These were our ancestors.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
hehehehhe......they are magicians aren't they?..;-).....

Any way, yes Russia should maybe give everybody a 'rest' but no they're going full-bore in...railways being built now?
Russia looks like they're pushing the envelope making the EU and the US react. Some sanctions have started.
Next up: Western 'military' moves? Somewhere? Curious to know when Putin will 'settle'. He probably knows but doesn't know how far he can go before the West will come to a point that necesity will force military moves. Some have said the West is not doing right in saying what they will NOT do. Frankly, it's not a good strategy to show your cards. Putin looks as if he's taking advantage of this.
You know the most interesting thing is who will finance the western Ukraine after Russia will not support it anymore, will not deliver the necessary resources? Who will allocate money for reform, and so on? EU? Maybe the U.S. have an extra $ 100 billion?Note that they should Russia almost 2 billion $ just for gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe