Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2014, 11:57 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,346,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Mr Holland , French President (latest poll gives him a whooping 16% popularity among the French nationals) decided that the Crimean population had no right to hold a referendum on the right of self determination. One should remind him that 3 years ago the Indian ocean island off the coast of Africa- Mayotte- (not very close to mainland France...) held a local referendum to decide if it was to keep its autonomy or be more closely integrated into mainland France. The latter prevailed (so they can get more aid from the French taxpayer). So why not allow the Crimeans, an European population, what the French government allows a remote African / Indian ocean island ? I'm interested by the answers...
There are hundreds of books on national self-determination and the principle of territorial integrity. The main issues I see:

- Crimea is occupied by Russia.
- Russia doesn't allow any organizations in which could supervise a referendum (OSCE).
- While the Russian speaking folks are in the majority, they only make up 58% of the population. I think it's unfair for the rest to hold a referendum under sleazy conditions and military occupation.
- The ballot for March 16 is deeply flawed: People can choose between joining Russia immediately or going back to the Crimean constitution of '92, which would make Crimea an independent state. There is no "I'd like Crimea to be a Ukrainian province."

That said, there should be discussions over Crimea's status. But first the Russians should back off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 12:00 PM

26,784 posts, read 22,561,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
There are hundreds of books on national self-determination and the principle of territorial integrity. The main issues I see:

- Crimea is occupied by Russia.
- Russia doesn't allow any organizations in which could supervise a referendum (OSCE).
- While the Russian speaking folks are in the majority, they only make up 58% of the population. I think it's unfair for the rest to hold a referendum under sleazy conditions and military occupation.
- The ballot for March 16 is deeply flawed: People can choose between joining Russia immediately or going back to the Crimean constitution of '92, which would make Crimea an independent state. There is no "I'd like Crimea to be a Ukrainian province."

That said, there should be discussions over Crimea's status. But first the Russians should back off.
No, over 60% ( or is it Sevastopol I'm thinking of?)

P.S. Was ( or when) the Crimean constitution changed since 1992?

Old 03-09-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
At the Archipelago Sea Square there's boat-shaped name-plaques of persons and organizations equipped with Turku, and somewhere there there's a "Vladimir Putin" -plaque. I'm gonna find that plaque tomorrow and spray it.
Don't worry, I think I already defiled that plaque last summer when I stayed on that hostel boat I was hammered quite a few times, so maybe it's not as fresh as it used to be...

Old 03-09-2014, 12:03 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Crimea 59%, Sevastopol 72% ethnic Russians.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:05 PM

26,784 posts, read 22,561,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Don't worry, I think I already defiled that plaque last summer when I stayed on that hostel boat I was hammered quite a few times, so maybe it's not as fresh as it used to be...
I see, you all take it very personally))))
( Which brings it all to a new level))))

Old 03-09-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
P.S. Was ( or when) the Crimean constitution changed since 1992?
The current one is in effect since 1999.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:08 PM

392 posts, read 352,377 times
Quote:
Russian speaking folks? You have it all wrong...as mentioned before if you are Ukrainian the word for bread is Hlebah....in Russian it is Hleabah.....I don't see a huge difference in the way they speak...Russian is just another dialect of Ukrainian and Ukrainian is another dialect of Russian... ALL Ukrainians can speak and understand Russian and all Russians can speak and understand Ukrainian....it is like French Canadian as compared to Parisian French...You Americans have go to get this straight...We are not talking about two different cultures and one imposing itself on the other....these are both Slavonic peoples and have few differences.....Ukraine deserves respect....Russians in general view their Ukrainian brothers as slightly inferior....some proud Ukrainians like to be defined as Russians.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:08 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,448,119 times
Quote:
The Russian troops are definitely wanted there and earlier I thought that they were already there
Russian marines of the Black Sea Fleet are there as are some of the Ukrainian airforce which defected with 45 Migs 29 UBs and some other stuff. I gather that the bulk of regular Russian army units have returned to their bases or across the border but there is a small security force (like MPs) still there.

Quote:
Maybe the US should back off too.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:10 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,620,060 times
Quote:
Thought there are no Russian troops on Crimea?
hehehehhe......they are magicians aren't they?..;-).....

Any way, yes Russia should maybe give everybody a 'rest' but no they're going full-bore in...railways being built now?
Russia looks like they're pushing the envelope making the EU and the US react. Some sanctions have started.
Next up: Western 'military' moves? Somewhere? Curious to know when Putin will 'settle'. He probably knows but doesn't know how far he can go before the West will come to a point that necesity will force military moves. Some have said the West is not doing right in saying what they will NOT do. Frankly, it's not a good strategy to show your cards. Putin looks as if he's taking advantage of this.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Maybe the US should back off too.
I don't see any US Marines running around Crimea trying to ensure that the Crimean people will "vote for the right thing".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe