Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 12:21 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I don't know much about him - to me he is just a person who has been in the midst of the events, he was a witness.
As for his stance on Jews/Horst Mahler - whatever it is, that doesn't mean that he is automatically wrong about anything else.
I might dislike Putin a great deal, but in case of Crimea he made a logical decision. ( Just an example.)
A person who made and still makes statements like this lost all his credibility in my books. And yes, Stadler is pretty much wrong on every single political issue. That's why he isn't in our parliament anymore (for quite a while now...) and won't get into the European Parliament next time... He got kicked out of two far-right parties, because even those weirdos thought that there is something wrong with this guy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 03:46 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
I could see that. Absolutely. But I think the further setup for NATO in that 'garden' was reasonable in that it was to preclude what happened post war, 1956 and 1968 as Russia motored west. Those particular countries were sovereign nations and had a right to determine their foreign policy when they let NATO in. Funny thing is there never has been a unilateral excursion of NATO troops or materiel into Russian sovereign territory post war. Why? The setup was to keep things out and not to conduct offensive operations. Then the other thing is if they would they'd be blown to pieces and wallah Russia would then have the pretext to then go through to Paris with flanking attacks to Helsinki and the Mediterranen! Coem to think of it arguably I'd suggest Russia makes a habit out of using 'pretexts' for their unilateral excursions into other states territory.
Interesting that you mention 1956. The events back then only happened BECAUSE Eastern Europe was already considered a buffer zone to protect Russia from the West back then. The West never really understood that it is perceived as a threat to Russia's safety. Russians don't trust us, and I can see why. Nato breaking its promise to Gorbachev did not exactly help in proving the Russians wrong.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:58 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,764 times
"How the Ukraine Crisis May Change the World"

"President Putin’s future Russia’s leader is near the peak of his popularity, riding a wave of nationalist pride over Crimea. Instability may grow, however, if he comes under pressure from magnates angry at losing value on their businesses, forfeiting foreign investment in Russia and facing travel restrictions and asset freezes in the West. Most are more than loyal for now, but things may look different in six months. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/01/bu...orld.html?_r=0

Old 03-31-2014, 06:31 AM

435 posts, read 420,675 times
Russians, and you heard already about that that in Japan made the decision to return 4 Kuril islands?
Japanese decided to use a situation. And why Russia can "return" the Crimea, and Kuriles can't be "returned" to Japan: )

Also other news to you: Kadyrov decided to increase "tribute" for Chechnya which Russia pays.
He declared that if to him will refuse, he will be compelled to remember the youth (he says it what to kill the Russian beginnings from 16 years).

The Fuhrer is grieved:

P.S.By the way on borders of Ukraine there were only 10000 soldiers (apart from certainly those military, which in the Crimea).
Armies leave and we hope that they won't return.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
"How the Ukraine Crisis May Change the World"

"President Putin’s future Russia’s leader is near the peak of his popularity, riding a wave of nationalist pride over Crimea. Instability may grow, however, if he comes under pressure from magnates angry at losing value on their businesses, forfeiting foreign investment in Russia and facing travel restrictions and asset freezes in the West. Most are more than loyal for now, but things may look different in six months. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/01/bu...orld.html?_r=0
We yet don't know the decision of Saudi Arabia.
If they agree on oil sale.....

Old 03-31-2014, 06:51 AM

Oftentimes I don't really know what you are trying to say, frankly

Old 03-31-2014, 06:54 AM

Anyway, why don't the US set a good example and give back Guantanamo to Cuba? They got it by forcing Cuba a to sign a lease treaty at gunpoint and have been occupying it ever since, although Cuba wants it back...

Old 03-31-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Anyway, why don't the US set a good example and give back Guantanamo to Cuba? They got it by forcing Cuba a to sign a lease treaty at gunpoint and have been occupying it ever since, although Cuba wants it back...
It not equivalent rivals - Cuba and the USA, I think.
And here Japan-Russia very much even can fight...

Old 03-31-2014, 07:18 AM

by the way: and why Putin signed amnesty for the Crimean prisoners? It doesn't have enough already electorate in the Crimea?

Inhabitants of the Crimea will rejoice very much....

Old 03-31-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by From Ukraine View Post
It not equivalent rivals - Cuba and the USA, I think.
And here Japan-Russia very much even can fight...
Huh? So it is ok for a bigger country to occupy land of a smaller one?

(By the way, something is odd about this thread, whenever I go on in here there is some warning from my antivirus suite. Maybe someone is trying something nasty here...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe