Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 12:16 PM

435 posts, read 420,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coseau View Post
The industrial eastern Ukraine will be hit hard because their industry is energy inefficient relying on cheap discounted Russian gas to keep it competitive
Tell please in more detail what exactly you know about the industry in the east of Ukraine.
The East industry already all subsidized long ago in Ukraine.

For example: You know, what coal in mines of Ukraine now extract at a depth of 1 kilometer? You imagine work of such miner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 12:20 PM

3,102 posts, read 5,616,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by From Ukraine View Post
In the middle: )
There are only 2 sides.I understand in the right sector. You do so hate Russian and showed all the ways that you nationalist. It's funny to see how you are now caricatures of themselves doing.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:32 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
*yawn*

How many people are there in Ukraine? 45 million? How many in Russia? 145 million? And now the most discussed group has been a tiny group with around 5000-10,000 members called the Right Sector.

It's like saying that the Thai people have seized power in Finland and controls the parliament with ladyboys and noodles.

Good night, sleep tight, don't let the fascists bite.
"Right Sector's deputy leader, Andriy Tarasenko, told the Guardian his organisation didn't want to be involved in post-revolutionary party politics. Rather, he said, it sought to "transform the relationship between people and power". What this meant was a little unclear. He also wanted Kiev's new interim government to introduce a law that would allow his members to carry arms. "In Switzerland, everyone has the right to carry a gun," he said. Is Right Sector fascist? "Putin is the fascist. He's the occupier," he replied."

"The group's far-right proclivities are obvious. Some of its footsoldiers dress entirely in black, with military style buzz-cuts. What is less sure is whether Right Sector amounts to a serious political force. None of its members died in last month's unrest, fuelling claims the umbrella movement is guilty of romantic paramilitary play-acting as well as incoherence.
"They're not fascists. They're peasants," the hotel's black Angolan doorman, Claudio Miguel, said witheringly of his shadowy guests. He added: "They don't come from Kiev. They're from faraway villages."

Kiev's protesters: Ukraine uprising was no neo-Nazi power-grab | World news | The Guardian

That's a good observation - they are militant peasants, and not the best part of them.
And Ukraine is originally a peasant country, so I'm sure we'll hear much more about them.
Sleep tight.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
There are only 2 sides.I understand in the right sector. You do so hate Russian and showed all the ways that you nationalist. It's funny to see how you are now caricatures of themselves doing.
The right sector now on barricades: ) And I speak to you ( already by 4 times) that I am the ordinary manager ....who speaks Russian by the way: )

Old 03-31-2014, 01:01 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
Yes, there was two only two sides. The other one was Maidan and the other one was Berkut + the Poisoner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
That's a good observation - they are militant peasants, and not the best part of them.
And Ukraine is originally a peasant country, so I'm sure we'll hear much more about them.
Sleep tight.
Yes, I know everything I need to know about the Right Sector, I've heard so much of it that it's coming out of my ears. They are fascists, that's right, but it's still a tiny group and they play no part in the future.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:12 PM

3,866 posts, read 3,142,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by From Ukraine View Post
Tell please in more detail what exactly you know about the industry in the east of Ukraine.
The East industry already all subsidized long ago in Ukraine.

For example: You know, what coal in mines of Ukraine now extract at a depth of 1 kilometer? You imagine work of such miner?
I would say anything that is related to manufacturing especially steel and metal production will be hit hard unless they get massive investment to modernize their factories. Higher energy costs will put them at a price disadvantage with nations with modern factories that are more energy efficient. That is probably one of the reasons EU membership is years away because without cheap Russian energy Ukraine manufacturing sector would collapse due to cheaper competition from fellow EU nations. That is why they need massive investment to modernize but considering the political and economic instability facing the future most investors would be highly wary of pouring huge amounts of their money into a nation whose political and geopolitical situation is highly volatile.

Last edited by Coseau; 03-31-2014 at 01:30 PM..

Old 03-31-2014, 01:34 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
I would say anything that is related to manufacturing especially steel and metal production will be hit hard unless they get massive investment to modernize their factories. Higher energy costs will put them at a price disadvantage with nations with modern factories that are more energy efficient. That is probably one of the reasons EU membership is years away because without cheap Russian energy Ukraine manufacturing sector would collapse due to cheaper competition from fellow EU nations.
Well, this is not true. The Western European steel production has been fading, and Ukraine produces the third most steel in Europe after Russia and Germany. For example the traditional steel-producing country the UK produces barely a third of what Ukraine does. The Ukrainian equipment may be old, but the labor costs are still massively lower than in Western Europe, so they might well be highly competitive.

Many heavy industry sectors in the EU are in trouble, as manufacturing moves to poorer countries with lower labor and maintenance costs. The future of the EU industry is in specialized hi-tech goods, products, services and intellectual capacity. And I would rather see the heavy industry money go to Ukraine than China, for example.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:02 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,107 times
Quote:
*yawn*

How many people are there in Ukraine? 45 million? How many in Russia? 145 million? And now the most discussed group has been a tiny group with around 5000-10,000 members called the Right Sector.

It's like saying that the Thai people have seized power in Finland and controls the parliament with ladyboys and noodles.

Good night, sleep tight, don't let the fascists bite.
It's because if you exclude those 2,000 nationalists from the Right Sector from the discussion, pro-Russian posters will have absolutely no arguments left to jusfity Russia's actions.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:03 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Well, this is not true. The Western European steel production has been fading, and Ukraine produces the third most steel in Europe after Russia and Germany. For example the traditional steel-producing country the UK produces barely a third of what Ukraine does. The Ukrainian equipment may be old, but the labor costs are still massively lower than in Western Europe, so they might well be highly competitive.

Many heavy industry sectors in the EU are in trouble, as manufacturing moves to poorer countries with lower labor and maintenance costs. The future of the EU industry is in specialized hi-tech goods, products, services and intellectual capacity. And I would rather see the heavy industry money go to Ukraine than China, for example.
More of the "globalization agenda" I see - the decisions which nations should be "intellectual," specialize in "hi-tech goods" and which nations should be hard labor servants, like Ukrainians for example with their "massively lower labor costs." And so that all this pyramid would have served better the purposes of those few on top of it - allow them to squeeze as much money from such "effective organization" as much as possible.
And with money, of course, comes the ultimate rulership of the world.
Don't think it's going to work though, as much as they are pushing and striving for it - we are heading to a spectacular collapse of this global pyramid I suspect.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I would say anything that is related to manufacturing especially steel and metal production will be hit hard unless they get massive investment to modernize their factories. Higher energy costs will put them at a price disadvantage with nations with modern factories that are more energy efficient. That is probably one of the reasons EU membership is years away because without cheap Russian energy Ukraine manufacturing sector would collapse due to cheaper competition from fellow EU nations. That is why they need massive investment to modernize but considering the political and economic instability facing the future most investors would be highly wary of pouring huge amounts of their money into a nation whose political and geopolitical situation is highly volatile.
And you didn't think, what could become with the industrial East of Ukraine in "Customs union"?
Believe me, Russia too doesn't become the large investor there (especially for the coal industry).
My brother was born and long lived in Donetsk, then went with a family to Kiev. That he told me then, also the new governor of Donetsk Taruta now confirms. I am convinced that east regions of Ukraine weren't scattered" thanks to oligarchs. But oligarchs as all of us know, won't think of the budget of the country: )

Self-sufficient regions of the East is only Dnepropetrovsk (I have there many clients, very rich city) and Kharkov (though it already at all absolutely the East).

Many people still are mistaken when continue to think that the East of Ukraine remained the same largest industrial center as at Bolsheviks in the USSR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe