Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2018, 08:00 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
There is no "legitimate government of Ukraine" - there are only American puppets.
Yeah, just like Hungary, Czechoslovakia, and a few others had no legitimate governments prior to Mother Russia marching in and taking over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 08:11 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Yeah, just like Hungary, Czechoslovakia, and a few others had no legitimate governments prior to Mother Russia marching in and taking over.
You need to study some history. Eastern Europe was occupied by the USSR after WWII. After the destruction of the 3rd Reich there was an agreement between the allies on who would occupy what. America created NATO. The USSR created the Warsaw Pact. This lead to the policy that any war fought in Europe would not be fought on Russian soil.

They had their reasons. Considering there are so many people like DKM the fears of the past are valid to this day.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
You need to study some history. Eastern Europe was occupied by the USSR after WWII. After the destruction of the 3rd Reich there was an agreement between the allies on who would occupy what. America created NATO. The USSR created the Warsaw Pact. This lead to the policy that any war fought in Europe would not be fought on Russian soil.

They had their reasons. Considering there are so many people like DKM the fears of the past are valid to this day.
It isn't my grasp of history that's questionable. I'm betting you weren't even alive to hear the personal stories of those 13 year olds manning the machine guns against Russian tanks who managed to escape to the west.

The only difference between Stalin and Putin is the smarmy smile Putin wears.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:43 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,429,104 times
Quote:

America didn't create NATO; it wasn't our idea in the first place. And likewise, NATO has expanded against Russia's wishes not really because of the planning or the interest of the USA but because Russia's longstanding brutality and crimes against its neighbors have caused them to seek American protection. NATO itself formed this way because the Western Europeans wanted military commitments from us, which we eventually agreed to somewhat reluctantly. They wanted more than just the Marshall Plan. NATO expansion manifestly does not serve our interests, as it entails taking on a massive liability without much in return.

It's impossible to frame the crisis in Ukraine as a pure proxy conflict with the USA because it ignores the interests of the countries within Russia's "sphere of influence" and, specifically, how those interests have fueled the conflict. From Russia's perspective, the Ukrainian crisis is overwhelmingly about NATO expansion and the associated military threat. For the West, I'm quite convinced it has a lot to do with moral idealism--an alien concept to Russians--and supporting the self-determination of other nations. The problem is neither the USA nor Russia really understands one another.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
It isn't my grasp of history that's questionable. I'm betting you weren't even alive to hear the personal stories of those 13 year olds manning the machine guns against Russian tanks who managed to escape to the west.

The only difference between Stalin and Putin is the smarmy smile Putin wears.
Whos army crossed the border on June 22 1941? Do you even know? In August 1943 at Kursk, and Sicily it was apparent to many in the German high command that the tide was turning. June of 1944 with operation Bagration and the landings in Normandy no one sane in the German government was under any illusion of what was coming.

The Russians didn't start that war but they finished it.

As for your drama about 13 year olds manning machine guns it's just that. No 13 year old could handle a German machine gun. It's physically impossible.

I've read accounts of the final days of the Wehrmacht in Germany. Tiger Tracks and The Last Panther just to name 2 of them. Considering what the Germans and people like you did in Russia some got off lucky.

The only difference between Nazi Germany and the west is Russias nukes.

Old 04-08-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
America didn't create NATO; it wasn't our idea in the first place. And likewise, NATO has expanded against Russia's wishes not really because of the planning or the interest of the USA but because Russia's longstanding brutality and crimes against its neighbors have caused them to seek American protection. NATO itself formed this way because the Western Europeans wanted military commitments from us, which we eventually agreed to somewhat reluctantly. They wanted more than just the Marshall Plan. NATO expansion manifestly does not serve our interests, as it entails taking on a massive liability without much in return.

It's impossible to frame the crisis in Ukraine as a pure proxy conflict with the USA because it ignores the interests of the countries within Russia's "sphere of influence" and, specifically, how those interests have fueled the conflict. From Russia's perspective, the Ukrainian crisis is overwhelmingly about NATO expansion and the associated military threat. For the West, I'm quite convinced it has a lot to do with moral idealism--an alien concept to Russians--and supporting the self-determination of other nations. The problem is neither the USA nor Russia really understands one another.
Go learn something. You ignorance is embarassing. Make me a drink while you're at it.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:03 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,534,034 times
Quote:

From what I saw back in the nineties - the "moral idealism" of the West is all about money after all.
So as I've said before - tell your fairy-tails someone else)))

Old 04-08-2018, 12:32 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,299,473 times
Quote:
And likewise, NATO has expanded against Russia's wishes not really because of the planning or the interest of the USA but because Russia's longstanding brutality and crimes against its neighbors have caused them to seek American protection.

Comedy Central??

Old 04-08-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Whos army crossed the border on June 22 1941? Do you even know? In August 1943 at Kursk, and Sicily it was apparent to many in the German high command that the tide was turning. June of 1944 with operation Bagration and the landings in Normandy no one sane in the German government was under any illusion of what was coming.

The Russians didn't start that war but they finished it.

As for your drama about 13 year olds manning machine guns it's just that. No 13 year old could handle a German machine gun. It's physically impossible.

I've read accounts of the final days of the Wehrmacht in Germany. Tiger Tracks and The Last Panther just to name 2 of them. Considering what the Germans and people like you did in Russia some got off lucky.

The only difference between Nazi Germany and the west is Russias nukes.
Whaaah the heck are you talking about? I'm referencing the 13 year old Hungarians who got to watch and fight to try to stop Russian tanks rolling through their streets in 1956. He escaped and joined my school class in Canada bringing pictures of himself firing a tripod mounted machine gun at an advancing Russian tank. His story was one of escaping by the skin of his teeth.

http://time.com/3878232/the-hungaria...s-of-budapest/

People like me did in Russia? When did Canada invade Russia? Link please.

Now let's talk about how many times over the years Canadian jets have had to intercept Russian planes flying provocatively near Canada's airspace.

You're such a maligned, innocent, peace loving nation.

Last edited by BruSan; 04-08-2018 at 01:08 PM..

Old 04-08-2018, 01:32 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,534,034 times
Quote:
Whaaah the heck are you talking about? I'm referencing the 13 year old Hungarians who got to watch and fight to try to stop Russian tanks rolling through their streets in 1956. He escaped and joined my school class in Canada bringing pictures of himself firing a tripod mounted machine gun at an advancing Russian tank. His story was one of escaping by the skin of his teeth.

http://time.com/3878232/the-hungaria...s-of-budapest/

People like me did in Russia? When did Canada invade Russia? Link please.

Now let's talk about how many times over the years Canadian jets have had to intercept Russian planes flying provocatively near Canada's airspace.

You're such a maligned, innocent, peace loving nation.
Russia is NOT "maligned and innocent" nation. Far away from it.
It can be brutal, vicious, and downright murderous.
However this doesn't change the fact, that the West ( and I am pointing at the US first of all,) in spite of all the assurances of "peace and democracy," is first and utmost a ruthless corporate machine governed by the Wall Street and aspiring to take over the world.

("Velvet paws hide sharp claws" is the best way to describe the situation the way I see it.)

And Russia is out there to make damn sure that this is not going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe