Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2018, 01:37 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Whaaah the heck are you talking about? I'm referencing the 13 year old Hungarians who got to watch and fight to try to stop Russian tanks rolling through their streets in 1956. He escaped and joined my school class in Canada bringing pictures of himself firing a tripod mounted machine gun at an advancing Russian tank. His story was one of escaping by the skin of his teeth.

http://time.com/3878232/the-hungaria...s-of-budapest/

People like me did in Russia? When did Canada invade Russia? Link please.

Now let's talk about how many times over the years Canadian jets have had to intercept Russian planes flying provocatively near Canada's airspace.

You're such a maligned, innocent, peace loving nation.
And undoubtedly quite a STORY it was. Get your emotions in check, it muddles your mind. I'd like to see that pic of a 13 year old boy being used as cannon fodder. So like fascists everywhere. Cowardly politcians sending children to die instead of picking up a rifle themselves.

What's wrong with Bears flying in international airspace? Everybody does it. Russian bombers were off the California coast not long ago and American Poseidons are snooping all around Russias border. Russia does need to keep an eye on Canada too. The US owns you and Canadians will die where the Pentagon tells them to when they tell them to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Russia is NOT "maligned and innocent" nation. Far away from it.
It can be brutal, vicious, and downright murderous.

("Velvet paws hide sharp claws" is the best way to describe the situation the way I see it.)

And Russia is out there to make damn sure that this is not going to happen.
Agree with all of it. To add though there are things afoot in the night. Russia is not alone. There's things going on between them and China. They hold war games together and are sharing economic assets and technology too. I heard that in the far east Russian and Chinese officers are going to a special military school in Krasnoyarsk with another in Chungking (?). It's an exchange program type thing but its so new there's not much out about it. Kind of obscure.

Old 04-08-2018, 03:04 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Agree with all of it. To add though there are things afoot in the night. Russia is not alone. There's things going on between them and China. They hold war games together and are sharing economic assets and technology too. I heard that in the far east Russian and Chinese officers are going to a special military school in Krasnoyarsk with another in Chungking (?). It's an exchange program type thing but its so new there's not much out about it. Kind of obscure.

Scrat, sorry to go all *theological* here, BUT...
This is the Russian coat of arms since the... the end of the XIVth, beginning of the IVth(?) century I believe.
It was adopted as a second one, in addition to the first one, for the reason of Ivan the Great announcing himself ( and his state) as the successor of the Eastern Roman Empire - i.e. Byzantium, that earlier fall to Muslims and was no more.
As you can see, it's a double-headed eagle;

" Though modified more than once since the reign of Ivan III (1462–1505), the current coat of arms is directly derived from its mediaeval original, with the double-headed eagle having Byzantine and earlier antecedents from long before the emergence of any Russian state."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Russia

The reason he put such claim ( Russia being the successor of Byzantium (and hence the Third Rome,) and adopted this particular coat of arms, was his marriage to Zoe ( Sophia) Palaiologos, whose dynasty was using this particular coat of arms.
From what I remember the meaning of this double-headed eagle was that the eagle was looking both East and West.
And so did the Russian state.
The point being, if Russia breaks the relations with the West, it can forge relations with the East, and rally it against the West.

And this is what I see is happening now, quite honestly...

Old 04-08-2018, 05:15 PM

I agree. It's a great strategic move and not only Russia sees it. Look at the Silk Road Initiative and what it is meant to accomplish this CENTURY.
You don't have to look far into the future to see the next frontier which is NOW central Asia. You don't need to see where the next "has been" is going to be locked out and licking the windows.

I think the US realizes what is going on. They're trying to solidify their control over Europe and the Mid East and are being contested effectively in at least one theatre. The question is how far will the West go in it's thuggish behavior in order to hold on to power and relevance and avoid the inevitable. Both Russia and China are now capable of defending themselves against the US hegemony and the trolls that do it's bidding. They very soon will be able to beat it on the field.

I see the symbol of Peter slaying the dragon on those coats of arms and even the one at victory park in Moscow. What's it's significance? It's even on Moscow cities coat of arms and others.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:39 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,493,078 times
Quote:
And undoubtedly quite a STORY it was. Get your emotions in check, it muddles your mind. I'd like to see that pic of a 13 year old boy being used as cannon fodder. So like fascists everywhere. Cowardly politcians sending children to die instead of picking up a rifle themselves.

What's wrong with Bears flying in international airspace? Everybody does it. Russian bombers were off the California coast not long ago and American Poseidons are snooping all around Russias border. Russia does need to keep an eye on Canada too. The US owns you and Canadians will die where the Pentagon tells them to when they tell them to.
Not even close. Canada stayed away from both Iraq and Vietnam.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I agree. It's a great strategic move and not only Russia sees it. Look at the Silk Road Initiative and what it is meant to accomplish this CENTURY.
You don't have to look far into the future to see the next frontier which is NOW central Asia. You don't need to see where the next "has been" is going to be locked out and licking the windows.

I think the US realizes what is going on. They're trying to solidify their control over Europe and the Mid East and are being contested effectively in at least one theatre. The question is how far will the West go in it's thuggish behavior in order to hold on to power and relevance and avoid the inevitable. Both Russia and China are now capable of defending themselves against the US hegemony and the trolls that do it's bidding. They very soon will be able to beat it on the field.

I see the symbol of Peter slaying the dragon on those coats of arms and even the one at victory park in Moscow. What's it's significance? It's even on Moscow cities coat of arms and others.
Hmm...
I am making some research and some criss-cross references between what I see in Russian and Anglo-Sources...

This is specifically the coat of arms of Moscow, BUT it looks like it goes back all the way to the 1200ies, when Moscow was not even in the picture, since this was the coat of arms ( or rather the precursor of it) of Alexander Nevsky...

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%95...evsky_1236.png

Then it seems that in its current form, this coat of arms ( of Russian tzars) started appearing as a regular one soon after the the decisive victory of prince Dmitri of Moscow over the mongols during the battle of Kulikovo

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%95...0%B3%D0%BE.jpg

And then, the last but not least - the whole "St George" theme comes into picture ( with Peter the Great)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_...and_the_Dragon

And this particular ornament, that Elizabeth Tudor (Elizabeth I of England )presented Ivan the Terrible with ( it's still kept in the Armory, in Kremlin)...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._by_shakko.jpg

But the whole idea of the "rider slaying the dragon" seems to precede the legend of "St. George..."

Old 04-08-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Not even close. Canada stayed away from both Iraq and Vietnam.
You were forced into Afghanistan. You were there for 12 years and doing your part as you were told. We obviously thought you were doing your part. If we had wanted more bodies we would have gotten them.

War in Afghanistan - The Canadian Encyclopedia

Old 04-08-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:

Russia and China fit the textbook definition of thuggish behavior.

Annexation of territory without referendum? Check
Suppression of dissidents? Check
Growing censorship? Check
Mass Murder throughout history? Check
Blaming someone else whenever something goes wrong check? Check

I'd take Uncle Sam ,with all it's problems, any day, drunk or sober.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
You were forced into Afghanistan. You were there for 12 years and doing your part as you were told. We obviously thought you were doing your part. If we had wanted more bodies we would have gotten them.

War in Afghanistan - The Canadian Encyclopedia
Which is why I didn't mention Afghanistan.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Russia and China fit the textbook definition of thuggish behavior.

Annexation of territory without referendum? Check
Suppression of dissidents? Check
Growing censorship? Check
Mass Murder throughout history? Check
Blaming someone else whenever something goes wrong check? Check

I'd take Uncle Sam ,with all it's problems, any day, drunk or sober.
You know, I won't even argue with that.

But when you need to control someone with the "velvet paws" that "hide sharp claws" ( as the US in this case) - they will do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe