Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2018, 10:44 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
If Ukrainians thinks that just associating with Europe will cure all of their national ills I have some bad news for you...many core EU European countries have not improved since joining decades ago (or actually being the founders of the whole thing) and many are worse off....Greece, Italy or Spain are as corrupt and inefficient as ever, the only core EU nation enjoying robust economic growth is Germany...all the others....no comment...newsflash, the European institutions are not that democratic and there is a very strong debate going on about reforming them.....so no, the EU is not a panacea...in the slightest...Ukrainians better be absolutely sure of what they are getting into...is not a cakewalk to riches and happiness...
I disagree here. The EU may be dealing with its own demons, but the organization has achieved some amazing things over the years.
Even if it's not all roses like you keep saying, it remains leaps and bounds beyond where Russia at this point.
Spain is actually a lot better off as they used to be one of the poorest European countries until the 70's, but have picked up quite a bit following Franco's death.

There are obviously a number of problems with the EU, including the current controversy over the open border policy and not everyone is on board with all the decisions taking place, but a number of countries have benefitted from the EU, including some of the smaller markets like Poland and Croatia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 10:52 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,300,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Thanks for the comedy, very entertaining. Yes, countries in Europe are no better after joining decades ago. LOL! No wonder Lavrov was in Belgrade angrily telling Serbs that being in the EU is bad for them. I expect things to get interesting there soon...if Serbia keeps on the path what will Russia do to keep them out? Seems like deception is not enough, maybe a little separatist action is needed? I see Montenegro is a lost cause.
You must have missed the economic crisis in the EU and the rise of anti common currency parties....
I remind you that I was born and raised in one of the founder of the EU....so I know a thing or two about Europe....

Quote:
Please tell me about Russia's amazing economic performance since the sanctions started in 2014. Negative growth? Who cares, we can now make our own cheese! What developed country in the world has NOT placed sanctions on Russia? Taiwan? Do they even trade? Are you even aware of the fact that the only person in the world who has placed TRADE sanctions on Russia is Vladimir Putin?

You must have missed the fact that Goldman Sachs predicted a GDP growth of almost 3.5%, something the Eu would kill for...or the fact that agriculture exports surpassed military exports...

Ukraine....

Stampeding like refugees for visa free shopping trips to Poland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwkzZeWy1ls

Russia...

The longest bridge in Europe almost completed in record time (6 months ahead of schedule)

- Record agriculture production

- Record pharmaceutical production

- Russia on its way to become a dairy powerhouse

- Despite "sanctions" foreign investment keeps pouring in

- Highest grown in high tech company formation ever recorded....

- Higher tax revenue across all sectors

- Gigantic, state of the art LNG project in Yamal completed (and a procession of foreign big energy CEOs celebrating with Putin, sanctions my behind), brand new nuclear icebreakers keeps replacing the old ones to use northern routes.

- Modernization of military forces almost completed.

- Inroads in Asia and Latin America for infrastructure projects, public transportation systems, etc..

....I hope Ukrainians enjoy their visa free shopping....

Old 03-28-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the comedy, very entertaining. Yes, countries in Europe are no better after joining decades ago. LOL! No wonder Lavrov was in Belgrade angrily telling Serbs that being in the EU is bad for them. I expect things to get interesting there soon...if Serbia keeps on the path what will Russia do to keep them out? Seems like deception is not enough, maybe a little separatist action is needed? I see Montenegro is a lost cause.
Serbia is interested in joining the EU, or at least the government is, but it's probably the most pro-Russian nation in all of Europe and is not likely to take steps that will put it at odds with Russia.

Quote:
Ahh that pesky corruption and inefficiency. Poor old Russia hasn't yet figured it out. Too bad for Putin, Ukrainians can travel to Europe and see they have figured it out.

Please tell me about Russia's amazing economic performance since the sanctions started in 2014. Negative growth? Who cares, we can now make our own cheese! What developed country in the world has NOT placed sanctions on Russia? Taiwan? Do they even trade? Are you even aware of the fact that the only person in the world who has placed TRADE sanctions on Russia is Vladimir Putin?
There are a lot of countries that have not placed any sanctions on Russia. Most non-western nations haven't as they don't want to jeopardize their relationship with Russia because it be would be counterproductive to them. It's perfectly understandable why Western countries do it, but non-alligned ones have little to gain from that.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post

There are a lot of countries that have not placed any sanctions on Russia. Most non-western nations haven't as they don't want to jeopardize their relationship with Russia because it be would be counterproductive to them. It's perfectly understandable why Western countries do it, but non-alligned ones have little to gain from that.
You see, this is the dissonance in the media...."the world expelled Russia diplomats"...no, the UK and the US expelled Russian diplomats, most other in the list took did a symbolic gesture (1-2 diplomats, a couple did 4)....in all of this China is carefully watching (today is Russia, tomorrow it's me).

I bet Kissinger he's pulling his hair out and Brzezinski is rolling in his grave....the stupidity of current western leaders is monumental.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:03 AM

Quote:
You see, this is the dissonance in the media...."the world expelled Russia diplomats"...no, the UK and the US expelled Russian diplomats, most other in the list took did a symbolic gesture (1-2 diplomats, a couple did 4)....in all of this China is carefully watching (today is Russia, tomorrow it's me).

I bet Kissinger he's pulling his hair out and Brzezinski is rolling in his grave....the stupidity of current western leaders is monumental.
I haven't actually read any article that claimed that's it's everyone and that's why I corrected DKM. The total sits at 24 if I'm not mistaken. It's most definitely a significant number, but hardly representative of the whole world.

I'm not too keen on China. I admire the speed at which they developed, but the country is far too authoritarian for my liking. I would prefer developing some kind of relationship with Russia in the future as it's far less of opressive than China is.

If we go by potential future superpowers, I'm most fond of Brazil actually. It's the most multicultural one and is quite progressive on a number of social issues, though it's plagued by violence.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:17 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
Quote:
They want a momentary career growth. Mass propaganda and lobbying of their interests. But in the long term it worsens the situation in the world and can bring to sad consequences.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I haven't actually read any article that claimed that's it's everyone and that's why I corrected DKM. The total sits at 24 if I'm not mistaken. It's most definitely a significant number, but hardly representative of the whole world.

I'm not too keen on China. I admire the speed at which they developed, but the country is far too authoritarian for my liking. I would prefer developing some kind of relationship with Russia in the future as it's far less of opressive than China is.

If we go by potential future superpowers, I'm most fond of Brazil actually. It's the most multicultural one and is quite progressive on a number of social issues, though it's plagued by violence.

Milky, unfortunately is not our mission to change a country internal power structure...I agree China is oppressive...let's give them the time to change and things will change (and they did change bit by bit) as long as they do not start invading other countries....the west is involved in few relationships of convenience with far more oppressive and brutal regimes....the hypocrisy of the famous FDR statement "Somoza is a son of a b... but he is our son of b..." is no longer tenable.
This week diplomatic spectacle was truly appalling.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Milky, unfortunately is not our mission to change a country internal power structure...I agree China is oppressive...let's give them the time to change and things will change (and they did change bit by bit) as long as they do not start invading other countries....the west is involved in few relationships of convenience with far more oppressive and brutal regimes....the hypocrisy of the famous FDR statement "Somoza is a son of a b... but he is our son of b..." is no longer tenable.
This week diplomatic spectacle was truly appalling.
Generally speaking, yes you're right. Saudi Arabia is a peculiar case in many ways. It is the home of the two most holy sites in Islam which gives it great leverage. Going against SA is the equivalent of declaring war on Islam. That's why the country is able to use that to ensure it's survival. It makes sense why western countries (Russia included) are doing business with them and turn a blind eye to anything that goes on there.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:46 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Of course, EU will kill for Russian economy. Who needs European 20 trillion dollar economy when you can have Russian 1.2 trillion. Oh Goldman Sachs, yes they said Russia's economy would grow by 1.5% in 2016, but in fact it fell by 0.2%. Hey Europe would kill for that LOL. Even Ukraine's economy grew in 2016... But hey, oil prices are going back up so let's give Putin the credit in 2018 when oil prices recover enough to hide his failing policies (and the oil money is wasted again). I'm sure oil prices will stay high forever once more as US production increases.

Love the Crimean bridge quote, "6 months ahead of schedule". Funny how Putin said it would be ready in 2016 back when he kicked this thing off. But when you control everything you can make up anything to make yourself look good. Just ignore the really bad ones like demographics, income inequality and GDP.

You missed the part where EU has grown by 4 trillion since its "economic crisis" while Russia has yet to recover from 2014.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Of course, EU will kill for Russian economy. Who needs European 20 trillion dollar economy when you can have Russian 1.2 trillion.
Learn to read...I said a growth rate to kill for....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe