Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2017, 02:01 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,386,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Not sure who on here is of Ukrainian background (not me) but Erasure's map showed that Ukrainians are in fact more slavic than Russians. More than anyone but Polish unless you count south slavics then Belarus and Croatia are. But this just goes to show how subjective the haplogroup data are in determining national origin. It also doesn't show how mixed people are, as there can be many Russians in Latvia for example so the genes of Baltic Latvians is not represented correctly here. Fascinating and pointless at the same time.
Maybe Erasure's map does not show how mixed people are but the link and the chart I posted before shows it as that chart has been made specially so that ethnic groups, even ethnic minorities of bigger countries are shown separately. And that chart I posted shows that I told.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 03:06 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
R1a doesn't = Slavic haplogroup, if it were then Afghanistan, Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan would be considered one of the most Slavic countries in the world. However this haplogroup probably represents Indo-Europeans.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:17 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
The "most Slavic" people are those who are native to central/western Ukraine and parts of Poland and Belarus. This area also corresponds to the Slavic Urheimat.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:40 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
Today marks the new Ukrainian air assault forces day. They changed their name (from air-landing to air-assault), their holiday, their insignia and colors. All because they don't want to be considered part of Russia anymore. Meanwhile in Russian controlled Luhansk Ukraine, a coup is being attempted. I guess we'll know soon who Moscow backs.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:48 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
The "most Slavic" people are those who are native to central/western Ukraine and parts of Poland and Belarus. This area also corresponds to the Slavic Urheimat.
Ukraine is not Slavic Urheimat, the steppe is not Slavic natural habitat. Steppes are the Homeland of horse riders such as the Scythians and Sarmatians. Slavs are Forest dewelers so their homeland would be Belarus and northern Ukraine. There is a reason why southern/Central Ukraine (wild fields) was sparcly populated and most cities in the area not being built until the 1700s when Russia took control. This is because the horse men were raiders and people have no where to run and hide on the open steppe, but in the forest you can hide and horses have a harder time traveling through.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:52 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Not sure who on here is of Ukrainian background (not me) but Erasure's map showed that Ukrainians are in fact more slavic than Russians. More than anyone but Polish unless you count south slavics then Belarus and Croatia are. But this just goes to show how subjective the haplogroup data are in determining national origin. It also doesn't show how mixed people are, as there can be many Russians in Latvia for example so the genes of Baltic Latvians is not represented correctly here. Fascinating and pointless at the same time.
Pray tell me how did you figure that one out, JUST LOOKING at this map?
The only thing I see there ( judging by the colors) is that Ukrainians have more Turkish (Near Eastern?) admixture, while Russians have something Finnish going on instead.
The Scandinavian component seems to be bigger in Russia, and so is this
R1b thing.

Other than that I see no particular difference...

Old 11-21-2017, 07:58 PM

4,692 posts, read 1,165,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Pray tell me how did you figure that one out, JUST LOOKING at this map?
The only thing I see there ( judging by the colors) is that Ukrainians have more Turkish (Near Eastern?) admixture, while Russians have something Finnish going on instead.
The Scandinavian component seems to be bigger in Russia, and so is this
R1b thing.

Other than that I see no particular difference...
Who is you fairy lady?

Old 11-22-2017, 02:53 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Quote:
Today marks the new Ukrainian air assault forces day. They changed their name (from air-landing to air-assault), their holiday, their insignia and colors. All because they don't want to be considered part of Russia anymore. Meanwhile in Russian controlled Luhansk Ukraine, a coup is being attempted. I guess we'll know soon who Moscow backs.
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7d9_1511287482

Old 11-22-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Today marks the new Ukrainian air assault forces day. They changed their name (from air-landing to air-assault), their holiday, their insignia and colors. All because they don't want to be considered part of Russia anymore.
Was all their gear made by prison labor? $100 for a shoulder patch? LMAO!!!

My money well spent. Not.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:01 PM

Gee. More money well spent.

https://www.unian.info/politics/2256...o-ukraine.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe