Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 07:13 AM

38 posts, read 91,736 times

Advertisements

I am from the Crimean peninsula. It seems that at present this is the only safe place in Ukraine and that is because of presence of Russian troops here. My friends from Odessa really wish that the Russian soldiers could come to them too. And they come to meetings and ask Russia to help. Common people consider that the real terror may come from the new government and bands of nationalists. I am sure that most people here do not want any US-observers as they do not trust Europe any longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 07:16 AM

261 posts, read 256,510 times
how about UNO then ?

Old 03-04-2014, 07:31 AM

38 posts, read 91,736 times
Who will represent UNO? Europe and the USA again? Most people just want referendum which will decide where to go and how to live.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:51 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
Default Kudos to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen 2013 View Post
I am from the Crimean peninsula. It seems that at present this is the only safe place in Ukraine and that is because of presence of Russian troops here. My friends from Odessa really wish that the Russian soldiers could come to them too. And they come to meetings and ask Russia to help. Common people consider that the real terror may come from the new government and bands of nationalists. I am sure that most people here do not want any US-observers as they do not trust Europe any longer.
It's exactly what I believe, although in my country (France) we are bombarded day and night by the propaganda of our medias who don't even bother to hide their deep hatred of Russians anymore.
I believe that if GW Bush or Mr McCain or Miss Palin were President of the US instead of Obama, the third world war would have already started. I 'm frightened by the short sightedness and warmongering (see Syria where France wanted to enter the conflict on the side of the djuhadists)of most Western politicians-save maybe Miss Merkel-. I fervently hope we are not heading off to new Dark Ages , that the international community will find back the path of reason (I listened to an enlightening interview of Noam Chomsky on NHK last week) and sit at the table of negotiations, all of them, Russia, Ukraine, the Crimeans, the UE and the US. War only leads to horror, destruction, and untold sufferings and doesnt resolve anything.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:15 AM

261 posts, read 256,510 times
President Obama spoke for 90 minutes this afternoon with President Putin of Russia about
the situation in Ukraine. President Obama expressed his deep concern over Russia’s clear
violation of Ukrainian sovereignty and territorial integrity, which is a breach of international law,
including Russia’s obligations under the UN Charter, and of its 1997 military basing agreement
with Ukraine, and which is inconsistent with the 1994 Budapest Memorandum and the Helsinki
Final Act. The United States condemns Russia’s military intervention into Ukrainian territory.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

we don't know what Putin said during that 90min call, but now he gave an interview.
He claims Russia is not involved in Crimea anyway, and if it would keep to international law.
The main argument seems to be that Yanukovitsch had asked for military intervention.
In other arguments we heard that according to bilateral treaties Russia were allowed to
put 25000 troups into Ukraine and that they stayed within that limit.
The Crimea troups and the black sea fleet were acting on their own behalf and not
under Russian command, also ideologically supported and encouraged by Moskow.
Moskow however keeps ready reinforcement troups near the border and threatens to use them
if necessary.
(as I understood)

[why didn't Russia say this some days earlier in an attempt to avoid sanctions ?
If the arguments should turn out valid, it's more difficult now to turn back
decisions - politicians don't like to step back]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now Obama and UNO and EU should address these points, shouldn't they ?

any links appreciated

Old 03-04-2014, 08:18 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,150 times
Quote:
Most people just want referendum which will decide where to go and how to live.
Personally, I wish you the best so that you and your family can live in peace.

Just an observation. The Crimea and events in Kiev now appears to be an example of how 'nationalism' is placing a rift between Russia and the Ukraine. It just looks to me Russia will always be plagued with 'nationalistic' tendencies within and along its borders. Question is Europe and the US wrong in denouncing Presdient Putin's measures against the Ukraine? I'm afraid it doesn't look like nationalism will leave the scenes around and within Russian geography soon. He's doen this once before, now and what lies in the future?

Political and social change can unleash very unpredictable things. And well we can see that back once when Russian excoriated and still excoriates Mr. Gorbachev for what transpired under his watch. But many I think don't realize HE was the one who now can take a bit of credit for the apparent strong show of force shown by Putin in the Crimea. For it is Putin in his role as President with great singular power that this could have come off. And it is due to Gorbachev's role of infusing power to the Soviet Presidency as he sought to control the nationalistic elements gaining ground in Russia during his time. Very smart that Gorbachev.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:20 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,871,459 times
Quote:
Invasion is safe!!

Old 03-04-2014, 09:33 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,230,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Invasion is safe!!
Invasion?

http://cs7002.vk.me/c7008/v7008013/1...0-a1cEbopY.jpg

Oh, sorry. I putinoidy.

Last edited by Rozenn; 03-04-2014 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: Copyright issues

Old 03-04-2014, 09:49 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,230,293 times
You have to understand, Russia and Ukraine have a common history with 882 years (perhaps even earlier). "Kiev is mother of Russian cities." Ukraine now wants to live separately from Russia, ok. But the West does not need to support radicals in the Ukraine. This leads to problems.

Last edited by Maksim_Frolov; 03-04-2014 at 09:59 AM..

Old 03-04-2014, 09:55 AM

2,776 posts, read 1,841,210 times
Quote:
Thank you Helen for coming here at this very hard time for your homeland. I wish your country peace and prosperity from the depth of my heart!
It's so good that your mention Russian troops as a peacemaking force because many western people have a very distorted and anti-russian view of what's going on in Ukraine for real. They don't realize that there are armed neo-nazis gangs who are brutally terrorizing peaceful citizens of Ukraine. These thugs attack military depots and steal weapons. And the new puppet government can do nothing with it. They can't control this situation at all! "Berkut" is disbanded, police can't work properly, ukrainian military forces are demoralized. There are a mess, chaos and anarchy in the country! As you know, Russian troops came in Ukraine by request of your infamous president Yanukovich to get the order restored in Ukraine. Presence of russian troops in Ukraine will prevent civil war as well.
But all the western propaganda started crying and howling that Russia wants war with Ukraine. And many people believe in this crap sincerely! They even don't aware that russians and ukrainians are brothers.
Again, thank you Helen! I am praying for you daily. God bless you all!

Last edited by musiqum; 03-04-2014 at 10:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe