Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2014, 04:01 PM

2,776 posts, read 1,841,380 times

Advertisements

A very honest american article :
What the Media Doesn't Get About the Protests in Ukraine - PolicyMic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 04:11 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,107 times
And here is some good news from Russia.

Ruble Dives to Historic Low, Stocks Crash on Ukraine Fears | World | RIA Novosti

“The market’s collapse is a vote of no confidence in [Russian President Vladimir] Putin,” former deputy central banker Sergei Aleksashenko wrote on Twitter on Monday.
“Russian business and its population are voting against the authorities’ recklessness.”

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 03-03-2014 at 04:29 PM..

Old 03-03-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
It can be provoke a chain reaction for other stock markets and it would reflect on the world economics very negatively. So, I think it is a bad news for everyone.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:27 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
And here are some good news from Russia.

Ruble Dives to Historic Low, Stocks Crash on Ukraine Fears | World | RIA Novosti

“The market’s collapse is a vote of no confidence in [Russian President Vladimir] Putin,” former deputy central banker Sergei Aleksashenko wrote on Twitter on Monday.
“Russian business and its population are voting against the authorities’ recklessness.”
Good news depending on what side of the dollar value you are on. Good for some, bad for others. At this point in time, difficult to tell how it impacts Russia due to not knowing the details of export agreements in commodities they have.

Too strong of a currency makes exports expensive, but imports cheaper, thus hampering the export industry at home. Likewise, a weak currency results in less money relative to the dollar, which is what a lot of transactions in and around the former USSR are pegged to. So that person importing fabric from China to Omsk is now paying more for it because the exchange is pegged to the US dollar.

As for me personally, the weaker the Russian and Ukrainian currencies are, the better off I am as my income is in US dollars.

Also, markets are irrational, they do not vote. This is market basics.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:27 PM

Another honest post of a decent american :
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We're not defending freedom and democracy when we help overthrow standing governments.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:41 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Good news depending on what side of the dollar value you are on. Good for some, bad for others. At this point in time, difficult to tell how it impacts Russia due to not knowing the details of export agreements in commodities they have.

Too strong of a currency makes exports expensive, but imports cheaper, thus hampering the export industry at home. Likewise, a weak currency results in less money relative to the dollar, which is what a lot of transactions in and around the former USSR are pegged to. So that person importing fabric from China to Omsk is now paying more for it because the exchange is pegged to the US dollar.

As for me personally, the weaker the Russian and Ukrainian currencies are, the better off I am as my income is in US dollars.

Also, markets are irrational, they do not vote. This is market basics.
It probably depends on either you believe in efficient-market hypothesis or not.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no absolute truth.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:03 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Oh, right. I saw a picture of that yes. I don't speak Russian so it's difficult to find always decent links to Russian youtube videos.

Disgusting. The protesters shouldn't have done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiqum View Post
Current "Verkhovna Rada" is illegitimate. All members of the "Verkhovna Rada" have been chosen by a small crowd of maidan who were armed with AK-74 and knives. The whole ukrainian nation didn't participate in this shameful act.
And needless to say that Yatsenuyk is the US puppet.
The Rada has all the same members it had under Yanukovych. It is completely legal. Over 80 members have defected from Yanukovych's Party of Regions, but is still the largest in the Rada! Batkivshchyna (Tymoshenko's party) is second, and the far right, often "fascist" party Svoboda has only 36 members of 449. (The Communists have 32). Maidan as a political entity doesn't exist in the Rada. Neither have I seen any protesters armed with kalashnikovs. Unknown and Berkut men shooting protesters I've seen. I've seen pictures of the sessions of the Rada, and there's no knife-wielding men to supervise that the MP:s vote "right".

The current government is a legal acting interim one, and Yatsenuyk was legally elected by 320 votes as interim president.
The Maidan activists want one thing the most - free and democratic elections (in May) with international supervision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiqum View Post
Because you preffer to live in your biassed world anyway.
I don't support the Ukrainian government, Tymoshenko, hooligans, Banderists, Svoboda, Right Sector or anything like that. I don't want war, I don't want that the Russian minority on the Crimea is suppressed or harassed, I don't want Ukraine to split up.
I only support the brave volunteer activists on Maidan who want a democratic, lawful and independent Ukraine. Saying that, I don't support those activists who want to kill.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:12 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Did you see this? Disgusting.

Pro Russians or/and ethnic Russians humiliating pro Ukrainian activists in Kharkiv:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DJFNygHqK8
Sorry that's not "pro-Ukrainian activists" - that's the enemy caught at the crime scene. The radicals, who took over the administration building in a city where nobody wants to see these "freedom fighters."
And since the police has been given an order from Kiev to not to interfere and let the radicals from Western Ukraine do whatever they are pleased, the people of Kharkov had to take matter in their own hands and pull them out of the administration building. Since during the whole operation about 90 people were injured and sent to hospitals, this treatment of "freedom fighters" that you are so indignant about, was actually merciful. Here they are again, safe and sound, when the order has been restored.

Митинг в Харькове и захват ОДА 01 03 2014 - YouTube

People of Eastern Ukraine regard these radicals as the enemy encroaching onto their territory and for a good reason. They say that if Poles and Balts are willing to scrub the toilets for Western Europeans in EU, they don't want to have any part of it. ( They leave it up to Western Ukrainians I guess if they are ready to do that.) But Eastern Ukrainians - they know their roots, they know their culture, they know the civilization they belong to, and they know that all of it is threatened, had EU/NATO have it their way.

Quote:
Possible is also that they are Russians from Russia, as witnesses reported many of them arriving with buses with Russian registry plates.

Антимайдан в Харькове устроил самосуд над евромайдановц ами 1 03 2014 - YouTube

This video clearly shows the Ukrainians ( whoever they are- Russians or Ukrainians) attending the meeting of protest with their mayor, when the radicals start taunting them from the administration building, throwing rocks and sticks out of the windows. ( Apparently they hate seeing pro-Russian signs that people of Kharkov so clearly display - "Russia - help," "Russians are our brothers" and "For Holly Orthodox Russia" ) The meeting organizers are asking the crowd to not to be provoked by the actions of the radicals, but the crowd was determined to get them out of the building.
Its' all here, all in Russian.
But of course this part of the story is disregarded by you; all YOU want to see is "humiliation of pro-Ukrainian activists."
And that's how the truth is twisted.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:24 PM

261 posts, read 256,510 times
Russian ambassador to the UN Vitaly Churkin said Moscow is permitted to
deploy up to 25,000 soldiers in Crimea according to a bilateral treaty.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

is that the justification, why Putin said they won't violate international law ?

Old 03-03-2014, 05:28 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
As I mentioned in another thread; a lot of events have led up to this. As known, leaked diplomatic wires clearly showed the US position, the money going to the opposition (US intervening, of course it is), McCain's visit, etc.

Example is Libya, in Gates' book Duty, he states Russia felt betrayed by the US because the US promised that is Russia abstained from the vote, there will be a very limited no-fly-zone. Of course the US broke this problem, and expanded the no-fly-zone strikes up to the point of striking Gaddafi's convoy and numerous other targets. Russia's concern was Gaddafi would fall and an Islamic gov would take over, obviously the US did not share this concern about the expansion of radical Islam.

Another example is the US involvement in Latin American politics, and Operation Ajax. Now is a great time to review this operation, and compare and contrast to the current situation. The fallacy is there is no way to prove the issues, but the fact is the proof often comes many years later.

So, with this; does Russia feel like a cornered animal? Has the last 20 years of neglecting Russia and its concerns finally blowback? Did Putin take this time to draw the firm line in the sand for actual national security reasons? Has Russia actually violated any agreements, at least violate to the severity in which everyone makes it out to believe?

There are been great points regarding the legitimacy of Yanukovich and the new gov; the issue is, these points go both directions. Perhaps the international community should address this because they are actually ignoring it, at least in public, this is yet another lack of acknowledging the concerns of Russia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe