Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2021, 02:15 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,568,391 times

Advertisements

With Saturno's US/Russia comparison above, we've descended to a new low.
US percentages vs Russian nominals makes zero sense to anyone, except someone trying to obfuscate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2021, 02:23 PM

Apparently, in the 1930s famine, Russian policy discriminated against Ukraine, and people wonder.........
A new paper by the US National Bureau of Economic Research has the deets.

https://marginalrevolution.com/margi...e-1932-33.html

https://www.nber.org/papers/w29089#fromrss

Old 08-03-2021, 02:57 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Apparently, in the 1930s famine, Russian policy discriminated against Ukraine, and people wonder.........

More propaganda.

In the 30ies Stalin was targeting PEASANTRY, be that peasantry in "Russia proper" or Ukraine alike.
Ukraine happened to be AGRICULTURAL republic for the most part.

Old 08-03-2021, 06:21 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,442,089 times
Quote:

It's much more complicated than that. The USSR was growing industrially by leaps and bounds. So was the population of the cities where those growing industries were. People working in the factories did not farm and provide for themselves, they needed to spend their days toiling in the factories.

The Kulaks didn't like the prices the government were offering so basically they refused to cooperate with the authorities. Somebody was going to starve if things didn't get sorted out. Things didn't get sorted out and people starved.

A lot of this was due to the abysmal management across the board.

That's it in a nutshell anyway.

As for the links it's garbage. People all across the USSR went hungry, the southern regions were harder hit than most though.

Old 08-03-2021, 06:43 PM

Quote:
US percentages vs Russian nominals makes zero sense to anyone, except someone trying to obfuscate.
I know the 2 systems have big differences and I don't have the time to study up on the subject but I think I can agree with you. I think that anything we are offered in the west is in fact distorted because when you are told one thing but see another then things don't jive.

It's said that up to 40% of Russias GDP-PC is in fact under the table. I see contrasts in wealth where in Russia they actually own what they have and in America hardly anyone owns anything.

Both systems have pros and cons.

Old 08-03-2021, 07:00 PM

Long but filled with informed opinions and information. I do think Russia has given up on Europe as a partner in friendship. After 300 years of dealing with rabid dogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm8B2VlPwFg&t=787s

Old 08-03-2021, 08:13 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I know the 2 systems have big differences and I don't have the time to study up on the subject but I think I can agree with you. I think that anything we are offered in the west is in fact distorted because when you are told one thing but see another then things don't jive.

It's said that up to 40% of Russias GDP-PC is in fact under the table. I see contrasts in wealth where in Russia they actually own what they have and in America hardly anyone owns anything.

Both systems have pros and cons.

I am not sure what you agree on.

US spent on military $778 billion back in 2020, where Russia spent 334 billion - twice less. ( Interestingly enough, the chart shows only the percentages of spending for the US, but figures for Russia.)

And although the percentage of military spending in Russian budget is big ( bigger than in US,) it's still less than spending allocated for the development for infrastructure and "human capital" combined.

So nope, military spending is not "the first priority," and that's what the argument was all about in the first place.

Old 08-03-2021, 08:16 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
The "new low" is your level of understanding unfortunately...I just posted a freaking simple pie chart to have a general idea of the different slices for the budgets of US and Russia (someone said before that all Russia care in its budget it's military and defense)....nominal values have nothing to do with it.

Try again....

Old 08-03-2021, 08:19 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post

US spent on military $778 billion back in 2020, where Russia spent 334 billion - twice less. ( Interestingly enough, the chart shows only the percentages of spending for the US, but figures for Russia.)
That was exactly my point...to show general percentages on a pie chart not comparing nominal values.

Quote:

So nope, military spending is not "the first priority," and that's what the argument was all about in the first place.
Exactly...the Russian budget figures for defense include internal security (police forces) which are not part of the Pentagon budget.

Old 08-04-2021, 08:29 AM

Five posts above from three different people and I can't make sense of any. I'd really like to understand what type of maths and logic youse ones learned in Russian schools. Or maybe I wouldn't........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe