Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 09:49 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,220,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
I think there is a basic misunderstanding surrounding the case. The girl doesn't get punished because she defended herself.

She was arrested/questioned for carrying an illegal weapon, which is completely unrelated to the act of self-defense.
There wasn't anything vague about the story to me. It seems fairly straightforward. She bought pepper spray because she feared for her safety, an assailant pushed her to the ground and attempted to rape her, she used the pepper spray in self defense, and now she faces charges. What am I misunderstanding here? The outrageousness of the outcome is fairly self-evident to me. I don't dispute the law was broken but it is a law that is severely out of touch with the reality of Western Europe in 2016. This is clearly a gross miscarriage of justice.

Edited to add: and yes, the pepper spray was the cause-in-fact of the self defense so they are most definitely related. But for her possessing the pepper spray, she would not have been able to adequately defend herself. So yes she is being punished for defending herself.

Last edited by Bluefox; 01-28-2016 at 10:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 10:01 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
That is true in some cases, but using an illegal weapon has nothing to do with that. I haven't noticed any protests in Denmark regarding the illegality of pepper spray, and the girl's use of it wasn't a protest.
Though it's obvious in this case having and using the illegal weapon was the right choice for her. I'm really surprised pepper spray is illegal, haven't heard of that before.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:31 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Ariete, I initially thought that this was a tongue in cheek comment, but then I said ...naaw, it isn't.

You must have missed all other threads in the Europe section on the New Year rape in Cologne and the Swedish asylum worker being killed. Or maybe they occurred at the same frequency before this refugee crisis
I'm European and I've lived all my life in Europe. The security situation has not changed. Tragedies happen and they must be prevented, but there is no reason to feel unsafe in Germany or Sweden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Though it's obvious in this case having and using the illegal weapon was the right choice for her. I'm really surprised pepper spray is illegal, haven't heard of that before.
Pepper spray is illegal in most EU countries. There is also not any reason why it should be legal.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:58 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,838,977 times
Quote:
I'm European and I've lived all my life in Europe. The security situation has not changed. Tragedies happen and they must be prevented, but there is no reason to feel unsafe in Germany or Sweden.

Pepper spray is illegal in most EU countries. There is also not any reason why it should be legal.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:08 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:

Self-defense? What's a good reason for it to be illegal? Unlike guns, I've never heard of many injuries of use of pepper-spray, or lots of non self-defense usage.

I'd rather have the perspective that making things illegal should be justified rather than having something legal be justified.

Last edited by nei; 01-28-2016 at 11:23 AM..

Old 01-28-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
There wasn't anything vague about the story to me. It seems fairly straightforward. She bought pepper spray because she feared for her safety, an assailant pushed her to the ground and attempted to rape her, she used the pepper spray in self defense, and now she faces charges. What am I misunderstanding here? The outrageousness of the outcome is fairly self-evident to me. I don't dispute the law was broken but it is a law that is severely out of touch with the reality of Western Europe in 2016. This is clearly a gross miscarriage of justice.
An assault charge I'd assume would have a much harsher punishment than an illegal weapon. It would be a bit contradictory to have an illegal weapon law and then not charge people for using their weapons in "good ways". The same combination applies in American cities that ban carrying guns and certain knives, no clue how likely someone would be prosecuted for using an illegal for self-defense in say, New York City.

In case, the penalty of 500 kroner is equivalent to $73.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:12 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,957 times
Quote:
Not trying to downplay about your living in Europe all your life but I am surprised that you cannot see how different it has been in the past year compared to 5 or 10 years ago.

Here are two headlines from the German paper Spiegel, today's edition

Sexism and Islam Debated*in Germany after Cologne Attacks - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Why Has Angela Merkel Staked Her Legacy on the Refugees? - SPIEGEL ONLINE

A German Chancellor potentially could be toppled by her own party over the refuge crisis ( article 2) and you state at all is well and fine. The only explanation I can think of is that you are too far removed from the events in Germany for it to make a visceral impact.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:13 AM

827 posts, read 632,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Self-defense? What's a good reason for it to be illegal? Unlike guns, I've never heard of many injuries of use of pepper-spray, or lots of non self-defense usage.
It should be a shame if europeans can defends themself against poor and lovely refugees. You can imagine the drama if a migrant (who are a luck for our society) is injuried why raping or stealing.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:15 AM

827 posts, read 632,169 times
[quote=Ariete;42807483]I'm European and I've lived all my life in Europe. The security situation has not changed. Tragedies happen and they must be prevented, but there is no reason to feel unsafe in Germany or Sweden.
/quote]

Maybe it's true for finland, but obviously there are a lot of insecurity in sweden and germany. I don't get how you can deny this fact.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:21 AM

844 posts, read 1,064,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
I'm done with feeling sorry for Europeans who allow this to go on.

And I'm about done with Americans, too.
Please don't shrug mister Atlas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe