Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 02:06 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,701,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
But my view probably underscores the different cultural values between Europe and the US. A law like this would not pass muster in any jurisdiction in the US.
Actually if you read social medias in europe you could see people don't necessarily agree with law and punishments much. People are not happy but coverments does not want to make changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 02:23 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,335,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
Actually if you read social medias in europe you could see people don't necessarily agree with law and punishments much. People are not happy but coverments does not want to make changes.
Whosoever has voted for Green or Social Democratic parties is partly to blame for the current situation, Germany had quite a liberal gun law until the 70s when the Social Democratic Party adopted the 3rd Reich gun laws in reaction to leftist terror of the so called "RAF"; if it were to the Green party they would even ban blank guns and pepperspray. Feminism is part of the problem, feminism demonized white men and family values, now the savage is at the door and who will help?

Old 01-28-2016, 02:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Yes, that's why my issue is with the law itself, not its application in this case. But my view probably underscores the different cultural values between Europe and the US. A law like this would not pass muster in any jurisdiction in the US.
Huh? I said in the post you replied to many American cities have similar laws. Not for pepper spray but for guns and some knives.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:32 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,220,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Huh? I said in the post you replied to many American cities have similar laws. Not for pepper spray but for guns and some knives.
Guns and knives are lethal weapons, pepper spray is non-lethal. I'm not aware of any state that bans pepper spray in the US and the lethal/non lethal aspect is the crux of the difference in how these items are regulated.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:38 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,556,787 times
I have a question.

if they did not catch the attacker, did they actually arrest this girl when she reported she was raped and explained how she successfully warded off her attacker?

Old 01-28-2016, 02:57 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,701,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
Whosoever has voted for Green or Social Democratic parties is partly to blame for the current situation, Germany had quite a liberal gun law until the 70s when the Social Democratic Party adopted the 3rd Reich gun laws in reaction to leftist terror of the so called "RAF"; if it were to the Green party they would even ban blank guns and pepperspray. Feminism is part of the problem, feminism demonized white men and family values, now the savage is at the door and who will help?
You don't know the rich party is the one who wants them for free slaves? Now you know

The problem of choosing a party to vote is quite terrible dilemma. There is no any party who would be perfect. There is no candidates under 1 party who would share the same values and opinions. So you must make choices between the parties and between the candidates. Unfortunately cannot have all. The one who has most agrees in things that each individual sets first wins the vote..

Actually the more researching in details, the more crossed opinions between candidates and parties. Also some are quite good liars and turn their opinions into opposite after win so there is no truly democracy ever. And not even by country level, then comes global systems and EU which works by bribing so practically it matters very less what small local voters are voting.

Covernments still works by global markets, bribing, manipulation, blackmailing and veryyy stupid competitions of making scales of this and that.

I have no idea what you mean by "family values" Perhaps that a man has countless over power over his wife, a wife is his property, there is no rape in marriage and lets take a wife whipes back to business? Man is a head of the household and woman cleans home quitly and takes care of the kids? Is that the "family value that you miss?

My husband is very impressed with our family values that we share together and we agree of them. He does not see my passion to feminism as a problem but he is a supporter of woman rights.

I don't know how defending womens rights would demonize men? Maybe people are as they are good at it, made too fast reputation ruining of feminism as they refer all people who want to take care of their lands as racist and nazis. Maybe those men especially who would want to keep women as prisons between fire place and kitchen by making sandwiches are those who are yelling so loud for the name of feminazis..

Also feminists are not graduated profession group but countless number of different type of private people who define their things and agenda as they see the best. Some of them are rather harm when trying to make things better.

Nobody should have a problem with genders equal pay and equal rights, really, that should be truism.

Well, at least the odins would help, lol and lollers of odins

As a feminist I believe women should help themselves and I do have arsenal with me, lol

First of all, system should make sure that it takes only those who are in real need. No green party or any other party want rapists or murderers but give a helping hand to those who went into a war. Nobody called savages here, most waited to see kids and women and people who want to adapt and thank their helpers.

Now when troubles are here there are also people who try to find ways to survive with problems.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:37 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
I'm done with feeling sorry for Europeans who allow this to go on.

And I'm about done with Americans, too.
It's a small group of politicians that allow it. The citizen of those countries are speechless and in shock but what can they do?

Old 01-28-2016, 03:41 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,838,977 times
So in conclusion, you should put the well-being of the perp (especially if not of European origin) and the rule of law, as stupid and retarded in might be in some instances, about your own safety or even life.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:28 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,220,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
So in conclusion, you should put the well-being of the perp (especially if not of European origin) and the rule of law, as stupid and retarded in might be in some instances, about your own safety or even life.

Laws are the fruit of societal norms and values. I'm not sure of the historical context of this particular law or similar laws in other countries, but I have to assume they believed that as a society, they were past the point of needing items such as pepper spray due to the exceptional rarity of violent incidents such as this. That, however, no longer appears to be true, and instead of obscuring and minimizing and explaining away the truth, the discussion should focus on addressing the issue. Laws such as this which penalize the victim need to be the first on the chopping block.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:44 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,347,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
An assault charge I'd assume would have a much harsher punishment than an illegal weapon. It would be a bit contradictory to have an illegal weapon law and then not charge people for using their weapons in "good ways". The same combination applies in American cities that ban carrying guns and certain knives, no clue how likely someone would be prosecuted for using an illegal for self-defense in say, New York City.

In case, the penalty of 500 kroner is equivalent to $73.
An assault charge would lead to no punishment since she acted out of self-defense. But you pretty much sum up the point I wanted to make.

What if she carried a gun instead of a pepper spray. The gun would have offered her protection too. But I certainly wouldn't want everyone to be armed. They were right to charge the girl since that's simply the law. The law isn't always fair, but that's the way it is. I wouldn't want to see the headlines, if they found out that every Moroccan in Denmark is carrying one of those sprays...

And by the way, in all my time working for a criminal court in Vienna I've never seen an underaged first-time offender being punished for carrying a pepper spray... I doubt Danish courts are much harsher...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe