Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 01:37 PM

467 posts, read 1,692,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
Having grown up in the midwest and dealing with snow, yes, it can be a pain. No one will deny that. But for some people, the oppressive heat can be demoralizing. Not everyone is like you and the sooner you realize this, the sooner you'll stop making an a$$ of yourself.

Btw, the energy cost of running A/C far outweighs the energy expended shoveling snow. Running A/C 24/7 is bad for the enviroment, period. The more people we have doing that, the worse off we are, as a species. Then again, people who tell everyone to "just move please" are typically self righteous jackasses who subscribe to the same sort of duality as our president.
oil burning and gas burning furnaces are real good for the environment also.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 01:55 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,126,024 times
rofl
how many of us will use this picture as the heading for the
"this is why we moved to Fla" xmas cards

I wouldn't mind an afternoon of playing in the snow, especially if I would have franks radaint floor heating to come in to warm up with. well that and hot chocolate with a shot of Frangelico

Karla

Old 03-06-2007, 02:01 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,537,543 times
Not to get political, but I've just seen so many houses up here poorly insulated, with drafty windows and doors, or poor 40% efficient furnaces.....people cannot afford to upgrade, because their heat bills are so high.....because they have not upgraded....a sad catch-22.

If the gov't really wanted us to be free from middle east oil, and to be better energy stewards, I would think they would consider a tax break or other incentive to buy insulation, better storm doors and windows, etc. Do you know how much money you save switching from a 40% to a 90% gas furnace or boiler? I installed one for a friend a few months ago..whole job cost me less then $700 to do for them...they saved that in one winter. I know that a "real" heating contractor would have charged 3-4 times that...sadly.

Even a $2.00 tube of caulk could save many times that cost in lower heating/cooling bills.

One of the first things I do to the new house is upgrade the A/C from an older 10 seer to a 14-17 seer unit.......

Frank D.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:04 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,537,543 times
I don't know what Frangelico is, but the hot chocolate sounds great....right now it is too cold even for the snow to stick....no snowmen....snow does not stick this cold....although it has now warmed up to 8 degrees.....

Frank D.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:07 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,267,642 times
Franjelico is a wonderful liquer made from Hazelnuts, I believe. I just polished off my annual winter bottle... a bit early this year, but what the hey. :-}

Old 03-06-2007, 02:11 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,126,024 times
nomoresnow have you tried it in hot coco yummmmmm

Old 03-06-2007, 02:20 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,031,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
We used to bring "Girl Scout Cookies" to snowy spring soccer games:
Hot cocoa and schnapps--very comforting and warming

I never minded shoveling snow as much as knocking it off broken trees, or driving in it.

There is no perfect place, and Florida being what it is, I guess this forum will always have someone complaining, or bidding us adieu, or happily arriving.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:40 PM

1,247 posts, read 927,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CURT View Post
oil burning and gas burning furnaces are real good for the environment also.....
It's more energy efficient to heat than to cool. It's all about thermodynamics.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:43 PM

467 posts, read 1,692,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
It's more energy efficient to heat than to cool. It's all about thermodynamics.
not according to my electric bill.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:36 PM

628 posts, read 1,834,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
Karla - I like the hot coco thing especially with a shot but these days I have become accustomed to something straight out of the freezer like a good shot of espresso vodka. Van Gogh makes some really good flavored vodkas you’ve got to try
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida