Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2009, 07:24 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,153,651 times

Advertisements

This was sent to me & I had to share it with you all:

Chocolate Truffles Recipe

Ingredients

Basic truffle ingredients
  • 8 ounces of semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate (high quality, 62% cacao or higher)
  • 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Optional base flavorings:
  • Mint leaves (1 bunch, stems removed, chopped, about 1 cup)
  • Cinnamon and cardamon (1 cinnamon stick, 2 cardamom pods)
  • Amaretto (1-2 tablespoons)
  • Almond extract (1 teaspoon)
Truffle coatings
  • Cocoa powder
  • Finely chopped walnuts
  • Finely chopped almonds
Method

1 In a small, heavy saucepan bring the heavy whipping cream to a simmer (this may take a while, be sure to stir and scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula every few minutes).
If you are using one of the other recommended flavorings, stir it in with the cream (and ignore vanilla in the next step). If adding mint or other solids, after the cream simmers, remove from heat and let seep for an hour. Then strain away solids, and return the cream to a simmer and proceed with recipe.
2 Place the chocolate in a separate bowl. Pour the cream over the chocolate, add the vanilla, and allow to stand for a few minutes then stir until smooth. (This chocolate base is called ganache.)
3 Allow to cool, then place in the refrigerator for two hours. Remove and with a teaspoon roll out balls of the ganache. Roll in your hands quickly (as it will melt from the heat of your hands) and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place in the refrigerator overnight.
4 Roll in cocoa powder or chopped nuts and serve, or place back in the refrigerator until needed.
Makes 30-40 chocolate truffles.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:11 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,337,594 times
<ssssllluurrppp>

Yes, that was me drooling on the keyboard again, reading Amber's truffle recipe. My goodness, girl, where do you find things like that?? They'd never actually get to the point of getting rolled in the cocoa or chopped nuts in this house; we'd likely wind up eating the ganache with a spoon!

Had a fine, solid, filling supper tonight at Casa de Lara downtown, a chicken enchilada with a small piece of grilled beef alongside, refried beans and their excellent Spanish rice, all washed down with an ice-cold Tecate with salt and lime. Wonderful stuff, and stuffed is what I was when we waddled back up State Street to the Overture Center for the symphony.

And the symphony.... oh, my the symphony! They did an all-Beethoven concert, which could only be surpassed in my mind by an all-Mozart or an all-Bach concert, and they played some of my very favorites: Leonore Overture #3, the third piano concerto (Olga Kern as soloist - brilliant!) and the seventh symphony. It was simply glorious. The brass wasn't quite up to the challenge of the final movement of the symphony, and the dynamics of the largo movement were a bit uneven, but it is unquestionably my favorite concert of the season thus far.

And now I'm waiting for the dryer to buzz, so I can get into my clean nightgown and toddle off to bed. Lots yet on tap tomorrow, and I'd like to get a good sleep before tackling it. G'night, all.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:31 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,418,065 times
sounds like someone had a great night out

Old 02-07-2009, 10:38 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,964,089 times
Ma po tofu and thai sticky rice, with good bitter jasmine oolong.

Oh yeah, and a handful of chocolate chips.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:57 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,855,297 times
Good morning all.

MWBW-you described your evening so I felt I was right there.

Amber-yum-can there be anything better than truffles.

Kats-marinade sounds great-thank you for sharing.

Tonight-just took sea scallops out, will season with lemon pepper, lightly dust w/flour, saute and serve w/linguine with oil and garlic.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:59 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
There's 8oz lobster tails at our market for 7.99 tomorrow-maybe for Mr. L's birthday and our 41st this week.

Soup was awesome-chunky beef veg-Nite all.
I'm getting some lobsters and mussels for next weekend for my Valentine...haven't decided what else to have with them yet.
My chili won third place at the Chili cookoff last night. Who'd a thunk?

Old 02-08-2009, 04:59 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
I can't begin to think about dinner until the sun comes up...Which it is just now starting to do...

Old 02-08-2009, 05:05 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,855,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I'm getting some lobsters and mussels for next weekend for my Valentine...haven't decided what else to have with them yet.
Wow congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-08-2009, 05:13 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Good chili is good chili...congrats...

Old 02-08-2009, 05:13 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,871,354 times
Amber, if I baked I would be right on top of that recipe! LOL.... they sound amazing....
MWBW sounds like you had a wonderful time last night
Nomad I am in the same boat... only up because Diva woke with some asthma issues about an hour back... she is ok now but we don't just go right back to bed after that.... too early on a Sunday....
Gentlearts....congrats on the chili...that is awesome!
Spiderbear.....that sounds like a great dinner
Lacey.....dinner tonight sound very delicious....I wish my kids would eat scallops.....

Well, we went to see HE'S JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU last night and I loved it. I wished they had that movie out when I was dating. It really would have cleared up so much for me! LOL.... I laughed...I cried...I got angry....I loved it! LOL... and it was good hubby didn't have to go see it as he would have HATED it! LOL.... then we went to Applebees and I got a veggie patch pizza for dinner afterwards and we chatted until 11pm.... I love girls night. These are my really best friends.... the one is like my sister and I have been friends with her since I was 14..... through thick and thin. With kids it is hard to get together like we used to... But we all needed it. SOMETIMES... you just NEED it! LOL......

Dinner..... I will get back to you..... heading out to breakfast with another couple in a bit... bringing the girls with us. This should be fun..... haven't seen them in a few months and they haven't seen the kids in a long time. See you all back here later....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink