Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2020, 07:32 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Let me tell you something - I am in that pool for at least an hour, usually two hours, every single day. Every. Single. Day. I just love it, that's the main thing - SO RELAXING. But I also can't imagine investing this much money and energy into something and then not using it. I mean, I get in and do about an hour of water aerobics, the first half hour being strenuous and the next half hour being more stretching and gentle movements, and then I spend another hour either floating around on a float or gently peddling around with a noodle or usually some combination of the two, listening to music. And I don't think I'm bothering any of my neighbors because neither to either side of me has a pool and I'm out there at the hottest time of the day, generally late afternoon and leading into the dinner hour. So they are inside and it's completely peaceful out there. I listen to the birds, and clear my mind of all the worries of 2020, and just relax, stretch, work out without bouncing on my old joints - LOL. It's FANTASTIC.

I really encourage anyone who can do this to DO IT.

Your pool ideas look lovely. I can't wait to see your project! I'm checking out their blog right now!

Oh so get this. Yesterday I was tired because I stayed up very late watching a VERY long movie the night before (Nicholas and Alexandra but I digress). I was supposed to go over to our neighbor's house and hang out with them yesterday evening, but I was so sleepy - and all I really wanted to do was get in that pool anyway. So I canceled on them! And got in the pool instead and totally rejuvenated myself! LOL I know - bad. But it was a super casual thing anyway, not even involving a meal, just hanging out, so I didn't feel so bad. And I wanted to get in that pool! I hadn't been in it all day and it was just calling my name. I told my husband that I'm getting pretty attached to getting in the pool from 4-6 every day now.
If you are up early and it is warm enough, which sounds like it is not your problem, get in as the sun is coming up. We had a pool many years ago and when it was 90% humidity and 90+ out that was my favorite time to get in for a dip before starting the weekend off. (That was when I was working and weekends were my fav.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 08:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
If you are up early and it is warm enough, which sounds like it is not your problem, get in as the sun is coming up. We had a pool many years ago and when it was 90% humidity and 90+ out that was my favorite time to get in for a dip before starting the weekend off. (That was when I was working and weekends were my fav.)
Yep, I may switch it around as it gets hotter here. Right now I am sort of in a groove - or a rut - whatever. I drink coffee and putter around in my jammies in the mornings - doing the CD thing, watering plants, minor chores like unloading the dishwasher, etc. The way our pool is situated in our yard, it is in shadows from the woods behind us during the morning hours. One thing I have found that I LOVE is being in the water with the sun shining, but I don't want to get out there during the heat of the day and the pool isn't out of the shadows till about 11 am. For instance, right now - it's in a complete shadow of the woods. Around 10 am the light becomes more filtered though - that might be a nice time!

It is already 80 degrees here (at 9 am) and the water temp is 83 degrees, which is super nice. Hmmm... I may try out that filtered light thing in a bit. It should also be a few degrees warmer outside.

I tried a night time swim with the lights on, but unfortunately the lights attracted bugs and I didn't like that. Most of the bugs though were June bugs and I think they are all nearly gone now so I may try that again!

Currently when I've been swimming from around 4-6, it's been about 93 outside and the water temp has been about 90. That sounds hot but actually since our body temps are around 98 it feels cool. And even at those temps, when the sun goes behind a cloud I'm like "BOOOOO!"

I've had to start using quite a bit of waterproof sunscreen though because I'm getting as brown as a nut and I don't want old wrinkly skin. As it warms up for summertime, I may WANT to swim in more shade! That's something to consider for sure.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:14 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
What a beautiful pool, it really looks great! It’s wonderful when a plan and a vision turn into a reality. Is it even better than you expected? I’m guessing it is. Congratulations!
thanks. i would say that i am happier than i expected to be with certain things that i was concerned about. i am very happy with the look of it all, glad i spent a little more on nicer pavers. while the shallow end is a bit too shallow, its not a problem. im happier with the "conversation cove" in the deep end and with the fact that even though the deepest part is deeper than i wanted, you can stand all along the outside of the deep end comfortably.

so its working out great so far. we pay for a beach club membership for the summer and i kind of wish we didnt this summer because id rather be home at the pool and having guests over.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
LOVE this thread and especially all the photos -- Kathryn and CaptainNJ, just WOW to your gorgeous pools!

I think I mentioned long ago in this thread that I've thought about putting a semi-inground pool in my back yard -- the back yard alone is more than half an acre and mostly level (the whole lot is 1.29 acres and the back yard is at least half of that size). The expense of an in-ground pool doesn't make sense for me in New Hampshire (although LOTS of my neighbors have in-ground pools), but a semi-inground is MUCH more affordable (probably 20k when all is said and done) and could still look good. I'm thinking of something like this (except my pool would be a rectangle) -- if you google "images semi-inground pool" you can see lots of beautiful photos:

It definitely won't happen this year, but next year or 2022 are real possibilities. You have inspired me!
to the extent that you can meet your needs for the least expense possible, thats the right move. its a shame we cant use the pool year round, then the value proposition would be better.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
to the extent that you can meet your needs for the least expense possible, thats the right move. its a shame we cant use the pool year round, then the value proposition would be better.
I agree. That's the only reason we went with the expense of an inground gunite pool - with a heater. Even in Texas, we can realistically expect to use the pool from April through October. That's only 7 months out of the year.

Old 06-15-2020, 05:07 PM

Pergola is built. It just needs to be placed in it's final position and bolted to the deck

Old 06-16-2020, 08:07 AM

Very nice!

We love our pergola. It's about the fifth one that we've built over the years. Well, that we've had built - LOL.

We get pretty severe wind storms here occasionally so this time we had the pergola anchored into the ground three feet, then had the cement poured. We've never had pergola drama but we don't want any either! But all our others have been just anchored to the patio with gigantic screws and they were fine.

This newest one is made from siding material that looks like wood. I really like it. It also has a lot more of the louvers like yours has. The first picture is of our previous one, made of cedar, and the second picture is of our current one. I much prefer the one made of the "fake wood" but honestly, I like them both.

We generally put a hot tub under our pergola, but we're probably going to have another one built over the patio near the pool eventually and it will just have seating under it. We have some friends who ran some PVC pipe along the top edge of theirs and drilled little holes in it and it creates a "rain shower" effect off into their pool - I really like that and that's what I want. The edge of their pergola overhangs their pool and I also think the "rain shower" water is pumped from their pool. Not sure.

It's really important for us to have outdoor curtains around our hot tub. Not to disclose too much, but let's just say we prefer getting into it sans suits. Don't want to scare the neighbors! We hung curtains (and lights - woohoo!) on our second one too, after I took this photo.

Ideas!
Attached Thumbnails
Well, we're about to do it!-hot-tub-2-.jpg   Well, we're about to do it!-hot-tub-resized-3-27-20.jpg  

Old 06-16-2020, 08:18 AM

looks great. i was talking to a friend and he seems to think he will build a pergola himself. it does seem like a very basic structure but im not sure what his skill level is. i have no skill at building stuff.

Old 06-16-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
looks great. i was talking to a friend and he seems to think he will build a pergola himself. it does seem like a very basic structure but im not sure what his skill level is. i have no skill at building stuff.
Me either and it takes me three times as long (or longer) and then it's still not great.

I thought recently "Oh, we can stain the fence ourselves!" Now I sincerely wish we'd just had a team of professionals come out and do it. Too late now. WHAT A MESS!

Old 06-24-2020, 09:29 AM

finally got the heater working on monday. got the water to 90 when i got home monday night with just a little bit of heater (solar cover mostly). yesterday i had the heater set to 85 so that it would get it to 85 and then let the power of the sun (with solar cover) take it the rest of the way. when i went swimming last night after getting home from work it was 92 degrees. it was very comfortable at 92. i think a couple of more degrees may be the sweet spot!

i could probably turn that sucker into a virtual hot tub for not a lot of expense. maybe sunday. if any old guys want to be refreshed, ill set up a sprinkler that they can play in if they want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden