Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 01:28 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,415,423 times

Advertisements

We are not chimps & what they eat is irrelevant.

There are studies suggesting that if chimps did eat meat they might have evolved differently & that our eating of higher calorie animal protein is what led to our blowing by them intellectually and allowed us to evolve as we have.

Regardless we hunted & ate meat millions of years before books & educated folks were around to tell us what we should be eating. If man naturally hunted & ate meat then to say that man is naturally an herbivore is ridiculous. We are omnivores but I'd say that animal protein has always been a major part of a healthy humans diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 01:35 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,525,749 times
That's assuming we evolved from Chimps.

It's hard to believe half the chimps would decide to eat meat and the others would stick with the greens, like they were performing some kind of ****ing science experiment, and we somehow evolved into the annoying creatures we are today... because we ate meat.

Either way, I'm having me a big, fat, juicy tenderloin steak tonight; you herbivores can enjoy munching on shrubs in your front lawn.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:31 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
That's assuming we evolved from Chimps.

It's hard to believe half the chimps would decide to eat meat and the others would stick with the greens, like they were performing some kind of ****ing science experiment, and we somehow evolved into the annoying creatures we are today... because we ate meat.

Either way, I'm having me a big, fat, juicy tenderloin steak tonight; you herbivores can enjoy munching on shrubs in your front lawn.
I didn't say we evolved from chimps, just that we are very similar genetically (and therefore physically).

Enjoy that steak, but be aware of how rough your next few stools will be, beef is very hard for your body to pass. My suspicion is people who eat alot of red meat are risking their health about as much as people who smoke cigarettes. You may just live a long decent life but odds are you'll be subject to all the most lethal maladies after 50.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:02 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times
Cave men ate meat, fruit, nuts and berries. they were hunter/ gatherers. Oh, and they were also eaten by wild animals.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:05 PM

152 posts, read 117,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
My guess is they were vegetarians before the Fall. The fall was a fall to a lower, carnal, state of consciousness. The carnal mind desires meat, alcohol, drugs, sugar, etc. The carnal mind is both greedy and fearful, and craves power and domination over others in order to feel secure.
Now we are dealing in fairy tales and mythology. I thought this was a misplaced discussion about a scientific, or quasi-scientific premise.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:34 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,525,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
My suspicion is people who eat alot of red meat are risking their health about as much as people who smoke cigarettes. You may just live a long decent life but odds are you'll be subject to all the most lethal maladies after 50.
I don't know about that. I know an awful lot of people well over 50 who've lived their entire lives eating lots of red meat and they sure seem to be doing just fine.

Honestly, I think we, as a population, pretend to know more about our anatomy and all it's intricacies and health effects than we actually do. I'd bet most health problems derive from people being genetically susceptible with inevitable disease mroe than anything.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:45 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
While I believe that Messrs Campbell, authors of "The China Study" are probably the closest thing to God on this planet, I do respectfully disagree that, indeed, people have "always" eaten some portion of meat.

The beauty of being a prehistoric human was that their diet was SO DIVERSE that it allowed them to eat many different things to survive. Effectively reducing the chance of starvation due to crop failure or weather conditions. I'm quite confident that ancient humanoids ate anything they could get their hands on if they were hungry enough - including carrion!

I do agree however, that the PRIMARY diet would consist of fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and grains. Which, oddly enough is the "perfect" diet for humans. However, when survival is at stake, a steak would look pretty darn good.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-25-2010, 07:18 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg420 View Post
human bodies cannot process raw meat-it has to be cooked to be digested.

What??? That's not true. We are capable to digest raw meat just as well as cooked. It's not safe but it has nothing to do with digestion.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:47 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg420 View Post
human bodies cannot process raw meat-it has to be cooked to be digested.
Oops, guess I should've told my body that before I ate it then...

Who cares whether we're designed for it or not, it tastes great!

Old 03-26-2010, 08:23 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,499 times
If we're meant to be veggies by design can anyone explain our canine teeth? You know the rippers and tearers of flesh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates