Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 12:29 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times

Advertisements

Say bye to Kmart on Wade Hampton Blvd. I have fond memories of that place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 02:54 PM

285 posts, read 457,248 times
My favorite lunch spot, Ellen's Deli in Greer closed on 1/25. Still open for catering.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:58 PM

4,227 posts, read 6,905,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Not gonna happen. Bookstores are going the way of the dinosaurs. Borders is gone and Barnes & Noble will be closing 30% of their stores: Barnes & Noble expects to trim 30% of its stores over next 10 years, report says - Business on NBCNews.com
I'm not so sure that it couldn't exist. I think large stores like Barnes & Noble sadly are definitely dying off. But smaller bookstores (say the size of the used store Mr K's or smaller) seem to be doing quite well in larger cities, especially when combined with coffee, tea, or a bar. I've been to several in Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, DC and some other places and they seem to be doing very well and the smaller environment in a downtown seems to work much better than the larger stores. Went to one that had a 2nd store bar/cafe overlooking the bookstore below via a balcony. Very fun place and I picked up a couple books there.

So while places like B&N are cutting down, it is definitely not impossible for a smaller store to exist in a downtown.

PS I enjoy ebooks and even rent them from the Greenville library system, but I do still buy physical books too.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:35 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Say bye to Kmart on Wade Hampton Blvd. I have fond memories of that place.
Upstate Kmart store announces closing date | Greenville News - WYFF Home

I hate to see Kmart on Wade Hampton Boulevard close. It was a popular location that lasted long enough competing against Walmart and Target up the road in Taylors. After Walmart expanded into a supercenter and Target opened, other popular or better alternatives seem to came about.

Kmart on Wade Hampton Boulevard no longer appears on Kmart's store locator.

Looking at the ten county upstate region, six Kmart stores will continue operating--Anderson, Easley, Greenville (Kmart Plaza/I-185), Greenwood, Mauldin and Seneca.

Last edited by Carolina Knight; 02-20-2013 at 04:43 PM..

Old 02-20-2013, 04:52 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,014,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Upstate Kmart store announces closing date | Greenville News - WYFF Home

I hate to see Kmart on Wade Hampton Boulevard close. It was a popular location that lasted long enough competing against Walmart and Target up the road in Taylors. After Walmart expanded into a supercenter and Target opened, other popular or better alternatives seem to came about.

Kmart on Wade Hampton Boulevard no longer appears on Kmart's store locator.

Looking at the ten county upstate region, six Kmart stores will continue operating--Anderson, Easley, Greenville (Kmart Plaza/I-185), Greenwood, Mauldin and Seneca.

Wasn't the Kmart on Church/I-185 the first in Greenville? I was thinking it came before the WH store.
It stays busy and seems much nicer and well kept than the others with exception of Greenwood which is very nice.

Easley is horrible. I was in there before Christmas at lunch time. They had one employee at service desk trying to do everything. The line was backed up like you would not believe at one of the busiest times of the day and year. Pushed my cart aside and left.

I have a feeling most of the others will go once the leases roll up for renewal. Sad.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:00 PM

Yes, Kmart at Kmart Plaza was the first in Greenville and likely the upstate.

Kmart has lost ground to Walmart and Target in recent years. I do not know how much longer it will remain.

I do not want to think of more closures coming along Wade Hampton Boulevard in Greenville and Taylors. I do not know if Bi-Lo in Taylors near Walmart has closed yet, but it will be difficult to compete when Walmart Neighborhood Market down the road at Rushmore Drive opens. Shoppers like traditional supermarkets with Walmart's prices.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:21 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,014,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Yes, Kmart at Kmart Plaza was the first in Greenville and likely the upstate.

Kmart has lost ground to Walmart and Target in recent years. I do not know how much longer it will remain.

I do not want to think of more closures coming along Wade Hampton Boulevard in Greenville and Taylors. I do not know if Bi-Lo in Taylors near Walmart has closed yet, but it will be difficult to compete when Walmart Neighborhood Market down the road at Rushmore Drive opens. Shoppers like traditional supermarkets with Walmart's prices.

That Bilo in Taylors is still open I believe. It has not been remodeled and the Bi-lo at North Hills next to the old Fresh Market has not been touched either which makes me wonder. The North Pleasantburg Bilo has been remodeled which tells me they plan on keeping it. All 3 of those will be in competition with the new WM Neighborhhood Market near Pleasantburg/WH. Cherrydale Ingles is being remodeled with wider aisles/ cut-throughs, new Pharmacy. new white floors. It is looking nice. There were a lot of people in there working today.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:18 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,812,678 times
K-mart on Wade Hampton closing May 19.

Two Area Kmart Stores Closing In May | WSPA

Old 02-21-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
That Bilo in Taylors is still open I believe. It has not been remodeled and the Bi-lo at North Hills next to the old Fresh Market has not been touched either which makes me wonder. The North Pleasantburg Bilo has been remodeled which tells me they plan on keeping it. All 3 of those will be in competition with the new WM Neighborhhood Market near Pleasantburg/WH. Cherrydale Ingles is being remodeled with wider aisles/ cut-throughs, new Pharmacy. new white floors. It is looking nice. There were a lot of people in there working today.
Bi-Lo has remodeled stores that would close sometime later. As for competition, the three Bi-Lo stores aforementioned will struggle against Walmart Neighborhood Market.

Ingle's is redoing many of their stores similar to Cherrydale Pointe. Going out are video departments replaced by a relocated or new pharmacy departments, split aisles excluding frozen foods and new color decor. Redos are likely for the Stallings Road and Travelers Rest stores. Older stores like White Horse Road, Moonville, Mauldin and Simpsonville are not getting redos. (Mauldin is getting a complete stoer rebuild/replacement.) Travelers Rest is getting a pharmacy.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:46 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
I guess this was the thread where I should be posting about Sports Authority closing the first week of March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area