Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have You Taken a Firearm Safety or CCW Class?
NRA Basic Pistol or Rifle/Shotgun - OR BSA, 4H 24 40.68%
Hunter Safety 22 37.29%
Concealed Weapon Permit Class 34 57.63%
NRA Advanced Armed Defense Class - Prot. In/Out of Home 9 15.25%
Other Advanced Training Course(s) - Elaborate 13 22.03%
Military 25 42.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 01:26 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
So, all this discussion about gun rights got me to thinking.

How many here have actually taken a, firearm safety class or other training (concealed carry permit, etc.)?

How many have had advanced training at one of the national schools?

You can select one or more.
You should have had one more option: NONE so we can see how many gun owners don't have a clue how to use them.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:27 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
Bepop is the reason men are turning soft. Not men anymore. Probably still lives at home with mom

Old 11-09-2015, 01:33 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
You should have had one more option: NONE so we can see how many gun owners don't have a clue how to use them.
I suspect the folks who truly don't have a clue how to safely handle a gun aren't likely to be reading in this forum.

And while safety training is a must, it doesn't necessarily have to be taught via a formal class. Plenty of people have been taught in informal sessions by knowledgeable gun owners; only asking about formal classes misclassifies those folks as clueless when they are not.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:39 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
From the State of CA, Attorney General's web site:

Storing gun and ammo separately is Gun Safety 101. Yet many gun owners haven't even heard of it, let alone practice it.
I actually laughed out loud when you quoted the state of CA as it relates to gun safety. Of course the most liberal state in the union is going to tell you that guns have to be kept separate from ammo. Personal defense firearms are of absolutely no value if the guns aren't kept loaded or within extremely close proximity to the ammo. But then again, that is the goal of the state of CA - to nullify the use of firearms for self-defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
There's absolutely no danger it will fire by itself.
Liberals don't understand this. They think guns have minds of their own and shoot randomly. They also think that the streets make people commit crimes. Basically, anything that takes away responsibility from the individual.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:51 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I actually laughed out loud when you quoted the state of CA as it relates to gun safety. Of course the most liberal state in the union is going to tell you that guns have to be kept separate from ammo. Personal defense firearms are of absolutely no value if the guns aren't kept loaded or within extremely close proximity to the ammo. But then again, that is the goal of the state of CA - to nullify the use of firearms for self-defense.

Liberals don't understand this. They think guns have minds of their own and shoot randomly. They also think that the streets make people commit crimes. Basically, anything that takes away responsibility from the individual.
California

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=11yCd-Swxow
https://youtu.be/2-V2arHXwq8

Old 11-09-2015, 06:57 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:

Linking the AG website from the State of California in order to support your position on gun safety? A state the protects the criminals and expects the victims to role over and wait for help to arrive? A state that forbids people from protecting themselves in their own homes? Your credibility on this subject is forevermore destroyed.

*Haven't read the whole thread so my apologies if someone has already said it.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:17 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
There is a lot of tone-deafness from gun owners.

Instead of, "Hey, I wasn't aware of these safety measures, good to know."

The typical response is:

"THESE RULES ARE STUPID!!!! If I don't do it, then it must not be necessary!! They are thought up by crazy people!!!"

I think that is a pretty good representation of the gun culture as a whole.
Okay, I get it now. I wasn't familiar with you and wasn't sure since it's been a while that I've given the Guns/Hunting page a look if you were a new comer with some...uh...interesting views or if you were someone with absolutely no gun experience whatsoever trying to impose your values on others. After looking at a few of the threads you started I have my answer. And I won't hold your politics against you, save for the fact that your kind attempt to impose your values on others.

I can see why you refuse to answer when directly asked what your firearm experience is. My guess is you've never even handled a firearm, much less a loaded one. I have a hunch the person most likely to get shot if you were handling a loaded weapon is you. You appear that obtuse with respect to firearms.

I'll say no more. You're not a gun guy and not qualified to speak on gun safety. Most of the regulars here have forgotten more about gun safety than you and many of the authors of the sources you've cited will ever know.

Last edited by iknowftbll; 11-09-2015 at 07:29 PM..

Old 11-10-2015, 07:16 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
You're "supposed to" store your gun and ammo separately? Says who? The Brady Bunch? Criminals?

It's always amusing when people who know nothing about guns have so much to say about them.
That's how the clueless get "educated". Someone that knows nothing hears it from someone else that knows nothing and takes it as gospel. Then you have a whole bunch of people that know nothing running around spouting foolishness for the rest of the know nothings.

At least it makes them easy to spot

I got most of my weapon handling training when I started work for Sig Sauer, most of what they provided I already knew as I had been CCing for years before that. True common sense will go a long way.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:42 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
This is exhibit A of someone who doesn't know squat about gun safety but probably thinks he/she is the safest gun owner in the world. This is a huge problem. The ignorance is putting everyone around him/her in danger.

From Walter's web site:

Storing gun and ammo separately is Gun Safety 101. Yet many gun owners haven't even heard of it, let alone practice it.
I don't think that's taught in any gun safety course...at least not in any course taught by people who actually shoot. Of course, I'm not surprised that CA government officials would advise it, nor am I surprised that the lawyers of gun companies would advise them to put it in their manuals.

You should see how many safety pages there are in my camera manual.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:47 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
You are being very defensive when all I did was provide a couple links to basic gun safety rules. These are basic gun safely procedure, I didn't make them up. If you have a problem with them, there are better channels to voice your discontent than attacking me.

It's a free country, do what you want. You don't have to justify your unsafe practice to anyone.
Have you actually had training yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting