Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 10:22 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,633,582 times

Advertisements

United States Patent: 6630507

Old 01-11-2014, 11:15 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
OP, I'd say you basically disqualified yourself from having anything meaningful to contribute to the conversation by politicizing what should be a SCIENTIFIC debate.

I will also note that my 82 year old father, who is a hardcore conservative Republican who supports the Tea Party, has already requested that I provide him with some of the legal pot I have access to in CO. Heck, he even asked me if I could get him some BEFORE it was legal for recreational purposes.

It's just disgusting when people generalize about a group of people on a topic they don't know much about because they have an agenda to advance.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:33 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Some entertainment for the op
Reefer Madness (1936) Full Movie - YouTube

Old 01-12-2014, 06:16 AM

742 posts, read 678,777 times
So, Know Nonsense,
Where's your credentials, as you know so much scientifically about the subject and are so sure about it, elaborate.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:09 AM

25,580 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
.....Where is your proof that smoking marijuana is harmful? There is plenty of credible medical evidence that it's less harmful than drinking alcohol. And what is a "typical pothead"? My elderly mother suffers from crippling arthritis from head to toe and is in excruciating pain every day. If marijuana would help her manage her pain, I'd be completely in favor of her using it. I also know cancer patients who use it to deal with chemotherapy's nausea............
And that sort of silliness makes you a liberal.
Smoking (inhaling poisonous gases) anything is harmful. Doesn't matter whether it is less harmful or more harmful than alcohol; that's a fool's argument.

Calling the legalization of pot "medical marijuana" is just a scam cooked up by those who want to smoke pot.
Witness the long lines in Colorado - all, we must presume, buying weed in order to alleviate profound suffering.
But the height of absurdity is the headline that proclaimed help was on the way for multitudes of children who suffer from seizures. Help, of course, is in the form of medical marijuana, which is purchased by the kids' parents.
Liberals, it seems, are incapable of honesty, and must disguise their self indulgent desires as simple concern for others.
Poppycock. They just want to smoke pot.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:05 AM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Smoking (inhaling poisonous gases) anything is harmful. Doesn't matter whether it is less harmful or more harmful than alcohol; that's a fool's argument.

Calling the legalization of pot "medical marijuana" is just a scam cooked up by those who want to smoke pot.
Witness the long lines in Colorado - all, we must presume, buying weed in order to alleviate profound suffering.
But the height of absurdity is the headline that proclaimed help was on the way for multitudes of children who suffer from seizures. Help, of course, is in the form of medical marijuana, which is purchased by the kids' parents.
Liberals, it seems, are incapable of honesty, and must disguise their self indulgent desires as simple concern for others.
Yes, that's why it's illegal in the bluest states like the northeast, but legal in a state that is mixed Red and Blue with a hefty dose of libertarians, cause it's only liberals who want this. Sounds like your mind is snapped shut and padlocked though.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:25 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,803,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

http://http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20859676

Inhibition of colon carcinogenesis by a standa... [Phytomedicine. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

These are preliminary studies of course, but many people don't want to wait the years for the studies to confirm--they want help now. With 1/2 men and 1/3 women getting cancer in their lifetime, the suffering is immense and with preliminary studies pointing to the fact that cannabis may actually treat cancer and not just alleviate the symptoms, believe me, there are folks who want to see medical marijuana legalized. It's not just out of the goodness of their heart at seeing the suffering of others--we all realize that we or a close family member may be the one who needs it one day. BTW, they are not smoking it in these studies so I don't know if you can call someone who has Stage IV metastatic cancer and wants to try one last treatment before giving up, a pothead, or not. You decide.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:38 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,949,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
"Earlier research, however, found that the hour after smoking marijuana is associated with a two-fold to five-fold increase in the risk of heart attack, roughly the same risk seen within an hour of sexual activity"

Read more: Marijuana Linked to Increased Stroke Risk | TIME.com Marijuana Linked to Increased Stroke Risk | TIME.com

This article also stated that all but one of the participants were tobacco users as well. Maybe we should make sex and tobacco illegal while we are at it.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:45 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
http://http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20859676

Inhibition of colon carcinogenesis by a standa... [Phytomedicine. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

These are preliminary studies of course, but many people don't want to wait the years for the studies to confirm--they want help now. With 1/2 men and 1/3 women getting cancer in their lifetime, the suffering is immense and with preliminary studies pointing to the fact that cannabis may actually treat cancer and not just alleviate the symptoms, believe me, there are folks who want to see medical marijuana legalized. It's not just out of the goodness of their heart at seeing the suffering of others--we all realize that we or a close family member may be the one who needs it one day. BTW, they are not smoking it in these studies so I don't know if you can call someone who has Stage IV metastatic cancer and wants to try one last treatment before giving up, a pothead, or not. You decide.

Agreed. Marijuana has numerous valid medicinal uses. There is evidence that the use of hemp oil can treat and in some instances even cure cancer. I don't drink or smoke or use drugs but I would absolutely try marijuana for medical reason if the need arose. I have done a lot of reading surrounding the research and from what I have learned so far, it is one of the least harmful drugs out there. Far less harmful then alcohol, cigarettes and many prescription drugs. I also don't knock people who use it responsible for recreation. Some people like wine, some people like pot. As long as they are being responsible, it does not bother me.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:04 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,175,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Maybe we should just say it's not any worse than alcohol or tobacco and leave it at that.
There are so many studies showing it's LESS harmful than tobacco or alcohol that it shouldn't be questionable anymore. I used to live in a college town where periodically some student would die from alcohol poisoning. There is no LD50 (lethal dose to 50% of a population) for marijuana.

I don't partake myself, but I live in WA state and our State Attorney General and head of the state health department both supported legalization because of the decrease in crime and law enforcement costs, the increase in tax revenue, and lack of evidence that pot is any more dangerous than MANY legal drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness