Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 08:06 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
What do they do with the bears once they hunt them? I'm from PA, and we had bears in our back yard quite regularly. We had larger properties, but not giganticly larger properties. I'm not sure which towns in NJ have these big bear problems, as I haven't followed the news on this, but I think they could come up with better solutions for monitoring the population. I'm not anti-hunting, but if there is no purpose for the hunt (hunt deer, eat venison), then I don't see the point.

When we start hunting animals because they're encroaching our space - it's time to take a step back and remember...we encroached theirs, so now we have to figure out a way to exist with them. Stop developing in those areas maybe?
Too late for that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 08:14 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Quote:
When we start hunting animals because they're encroaching our space - it's time to take a step back and remember...we encroached theirs, so now we have to figure out a way to exist with them. Stop developing in those areas maybe?
While I don't necessarily disagree with you, we all know that isn't going to happen.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:20 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Default Long live the bears! despite the good intentions

Great opportunity to manage the bear population in Nj ensuring their existence at a healthy and statistically safe level for as long as suitable habitat remains.

Precedent has been established over the decades in many states, through continual research, which concludes managing the population via hunting has been proven to be the best and most effective way to manage a healthy bear herd.

Think how amazing it is to have black bears in a state which now ranks fifth in population density and suffers from an industrialized paved and malled image. What a shocker!

Don't call yourself an animal lover and me a 'killer' until you have sucked milk from a baby bear's nose.

And no I didn't participate in the bear hunt as I have no desire to hunt black bear in NJ's circus atmosphere.

Last edited by Kracer; 12-23-2010 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: added comment

Old 12-23-2010, 08:49 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
since when do animals have property rights?

Old 12-23-2010, 09:22 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
PA has a weeklong archery hunt around thanksgiving. That's it. It's an effective way for controlling population, but obviously we need to figure out how to avoid dispersing them into more towns no?

Old 12-23-2010, 11:03 AM

13 posts, read 23,470 times
Hunters are sick cowards who enjoy maiming and killing stuff that can't kill you back - always from a safe distance, of course.
The bear massacre is disgusting. Karma, I hope...

Old 12-23-2010, 11:09 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowtownDude View Post
Hunters are sick cowards who enjoy maiming and killing stuff that can't kill you back - always from a safe distance, of course.
The bear massacre is disgusting. Karma, I hope...
i think this is a sweeping generalization of hunters. not all hunters do it because they enjoy killing. some enjoy the sport of using guns, and also enjoy eating something they hunted. maybe this isn't even a majority of hunters, but definitely some.

unless you're a vegan, you really shouldn't talk about people killing something that can't kill you back from a nice safe distance. i think people who eat food and just assume it magically appears on their plate are pretty ignorant.

are farmers that slaughter pigs for your bacon and ham and pork sick cowards? how about the ones that slaughter cows? or keep chickens locked up in small cages. i mean...we are omnivores by design. you can choose to not eat any animals, but it doesn't make those of us that do sick cowards who enjoy maiming animals.

in fact, if you hunt your own food or raise your own food (or at least go to a local farm) - there's a significantly better chance that the animal was killed humanely after living a pretty nice life rather than from a factory farm...

Old 12-23-2010, 12:05 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
i think this is a sweeping generalization of hunters. not all hunters do it because they enjoy killing. some enjoy the sport of using guns, and also enjoy eating something they hunted. maybe this isn't even a majority of hunters, but definitely some.

unless you're a vegan, you really shouldn't talk about people killing something that can't kill you back from a nice safe distance. i think people who eat food and just assume it magically appears on their plate are pretty ignorant.

are farmers that slaughter pigs for your bacon and ham and pork sick cowards? how about the ones that slaughter cows? or keep chickens locked up in small cages. i mean...we are omnivores by design. you can choose to not eat any animals, but it doesn't make those of us that do sick cowards who enjoy maiming animals.

in fact, if you hunt your own food or raise your own food (or at least go to a local farm) - there's a significantly better chance that the animal was killed humanely after living a pretty nice life rather than from a factory farm...

Old 12-23-2010, 01:30 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:00 PM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
"Hunters are sick cowards who enjoy maiming and killing stuff that can't kill you back - always from a safe distance, of course.
The bear massacre is disgusting. Karma, I hope... "

If you have ever purchased any products such as this, you are complicit in the slaughter of innocent animals as you have paid someone else to commit the killing. Current law finds the person who hires someone to kill for them as guilty as the person who actually commits the murder.

What makes a pig less than a bear or deer?

Millions of turkeys quake in the pens as Thanksgiving nears. Spring lambs are slaughted as Middle Easten folks celebrate their holidays. Are all these people cowards?

A stray ****zu/ minature poodle running around your neighborhood is a safety concern. Imagine a stressed out predator weighing anywhere from 100 to 700 lbs in the same neighborhood and the no one should be concerned?

Perhaps if we could reason with the bears and suggest they wear condoms and get them to promise not kill livestock or pets. Ony in fantasy land could that be possible.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey