Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2015, 11:09 PM

163 posts, read 271,382 times

Advertisements

I also wanted to say that after walking around and seeing so many different faces in the building, I have to say I LOVE the mixed income aspect and wouldn't have it any other way! I love that you can't make an assumption about anyone's income the way you could if it was just an expensive luxury establishment where you know everyone is rich...here they could make $20K or $200K and you don't know and it doesn't matter, cuz we're all equals. You could try to assume based on the view they may or may not have, but even then you still don't necessarily know. I imagine there are some low income folks with amazing views, my situation was just I had the last two left to choose from. Alrighty now...hurry up HDC...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 08:50 AM

142 posts, read 198,812 times
I know an actor who is a recurring character on a top show living in a 80/20 building. He got the apartment when he was a struggling actor and now just finished the 3rd season of the TV show. He does not have a stunning view and has no desire to leave his one bedroom apartment in Manhattan.

I worked in fashion for a few years and know a number of photographers and stylists who have worked on shoots for Vogue and other top magazines that live in 80/20 apartments and artist housing. If you were to see any of these people in a very expensive building you would never know they were paying less.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:58 PM

357 posts, read 656,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danseurderrick View Post
I also wanted to say that after walking around and seeing so many different faces in the building, I have to say I LOVE the mixed income aspect and wouldn't have it any other way! I love that you can't make an assumption about anyone's income the way you could if it was just an expensive luxury establishment where you know everyone is rich...here they could make $20K or $200K and you don't know and it doesn't matter, cuz we're all equals. You could try to assume based on the view they may or may not have, but even then you still don't necessarily know. I imagine there are some low income folks with amazing views, my situation was just I had the last two left to choose from. Alrighty now...hurry up HDC...
Well said. I also love that its a beautiful mix of races, nationalities and ethnicity on every floor.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:34 PM

Hey guys...is it all ConEdison in the building? I spoke to some nice hipsters out in front of the Brooklyn Trader Joe's today about how it's possible to switch from ConEdison to Green Mountain Energy and I don't know if it'll be possible in our building? I thought our buildings were already green though, so maybe they use clean energy?

Old 10-26-2015, 11:55 PM

70 posts, read 102,712 times
Omfg I have loud neighbors. Wtf. The walls must be paper thin or they talk too damn loud. They come in and out of the apartment every damn 10 minutes. I sound like a grumpy old man but I like my peace and quiet. This is unbelievable

Old 10-27-2015, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray2224 View Post
Omfg I have loud neighbors. Wtf. The walls must be paper thin or they talk too damn loud. They come in and out of the apartment every damn 10 minutes. I sound like a grumpy old man but I like my peace and quiet. This is unbelievable
Do you mind me asking what floor you are on and the type of apartment you are in (studio, 1 bed, 2 bed, etc)?

Old 10-27-2015, 02:01 PM

7 posts, read 10,579 times
Does anyone have floor plans for the xx01 and xx05 1 bedrooms in Commons (for floors 16-34)? I'm in an xx02 and super curious.

Also, I don't think I've seen anything from floors 35-PH ever posted...

Old 10-27-2015, 02:40 PM

12 posts, read 14,917 times
Smile Blessed!!!

Thursday - Received Congrats email requesting my documentation
Saturday - Interview
Tuesday - Offered a 2 bedroom apt
Saturday - Delivering my deposit

That was quick!!!!! Thank you RELATED!!!!

Old 10-27-2015, 08:12 PM

Wow that's extremely fast! Only possible for middle income, ha. So there were 9 apartments left last week, I think they might just about be gone now.

QUESTION everyone who's already in...so I know that the first payments are in the form of 3 money orders...but how do you pay rent after that? Do they need a voided check (or just account info) to set up direct withdrawal? Or do you write a check every month? I need to know if I need to get a single sheet of my current checks (for a voided check) OR reorder new checks with my new address (if we pay by check). Cuz otherwise I don't really use them. Thanks!

Old 10-27-2015, 08:46 PM

69 posts, read 108,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danseurderrick View Post
Wow that's extremely fast! Only possible for middle income, ha. So there were 9 apartments left last week, I think they might just about be gone now.

QUESTION everyone who's already in...so I know that the first payments are in the form of 3 money orders...but how do you pay rent after that? Do they need a voided check (or just account info) to set up direct withdrawal? Or do you write a check every month? I need to know if I need to get a single sheet of my current checks (for a voided check) OR reorder new checks with my new address (if we pay by check). Cuz otherwise I don't really use them. Thanks!
The first payments are two bank certified checks (not money orders or personal checks) and one $50 application fee (either certified check or money order).

My agent told us there's an online portal where you can pay your rent after that. so no dropping checks off...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery