Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2015, 12:02 PM

218 posts, read 474,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessieville View Post
If you email the office manager, she will give you all the info you need for renter's insurance. We actually are saving a few buck because of what the building has in place.
Is Kolie the office manager? I tried to e-mail her asking about how to sign up for the amenities and received no response. We want to be able to use the amenities as soon as we move in at the end of the month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 01:44 PM

10 posts, read 14,144 times
we're finally signing our lease tomorrow for the 3br on the 34th floor! it took forever!

Old 11-11-2015, 03:14 PM

35 posts, read 49,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanygeek View Post
Sorry to rehash an already discussed topic, but the noise situation in this building is very worrisome to me. Looking back on this thread and the original HPS Lottery (Part I) thread, it seems like there are quite a few people here discussing the ability to hear music, TV, etc. from within their apartment. I only have a neighbor on one side, but I can clearly hear their music and TV when sitting in my bedroom. I'm curious if anyone thinks these cases are isolated to inconsiderate neighbors, or if the walls are really too thin. Having just moved in, I'm pretty concerned about the long-term potential of living here, having moved from a building where I couldn't hear my next door neighbors at all.
I've actually had to make several complaints to the front desk about my neighbor... I hate to be that person but after midnight when I'm trying to sleep (because people do have work the next day) it's just not acceptable. If its not music blasting its the sound system from watching tv or a movie. One time he lowered the music after someone came up to give him a warning, then turned the music right back up after they left.

I've also been waking up every morning to drilling sounds above me & outdoor maintenance guys with loud walkie talkies. It's almost been unbearable which just forces me to wake up earlier in the mornings. Drilling sounds begin around 6am. Maintenance guys in the hallways are all hours in the mornings. I'm pretty disappointed at the sound proofing...

Old 11-11-2015, 03:24 PM

142 posts, read 199,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citichic1 View Post
Thank you to those who shared about the electric. I am getting more nervous by the day about the thin walls, brown water, high electric bills. The building seems amazing but I don't know. I will be paying more to live here than my current apt for less space.. I really hope that it is worth it! I hope I get to meet some of you. Your suggestions have been really helpful!
I do hear one neighbors tv in the evening but I do not hear them talking. I do hear the family directly across when I'm in the hall. I can hear an entire conversations when walking in the hall.

I don't think my neighbor has his tv on too loud. I'm lucky because after 11:30 everything is usually quiet from that apartment.

I would still move to commons even with the noise issue. I have only been in my place for a week but love it so far. The front desk and maitenace people have all been very nice. I do have issues with poor cell service but that is also a problem in other buildings in LIC.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:45 PM

70 posts, read 102,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetfairy View Post
I've actually had to make several complaints to the front desk about my neighbor... I hate to be that person but after midnight when I'm trying to sleep (because people do have work the next day) it's just not acceptable. If its not music blasting its the sound system from watching tv or a movie. One time he lowered the music after someone came up to give him a warning, then turned the music right back up after they left.

I've also been waking up every morning to drilling sounds above me & outdoor maintenance guys with loud walkie talkies. It's almost been unbearable which just forces me to wake up earlier in the mornings. Drilling sounds begin around 6am. Maintenance guys in the hallways are all hours in the mornings. I'm pretty disappointed at the sound proofing...

Thats unfortunate, whomever did the construction on these unit were on the cheap side. Before I installed my sound proofing, I heard my neighbor sneeze it sounded like it was done in my apt. Walls were not done properly

and thats sucks that you have a neighbor who doesnt respect quality of life. I recommend to get sound proofing

Old 11-11-2015, 03:51 PM

10 posts, read 12,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefgnewyork View Post
Is Kolie the office manager? I tried to e-mail her asking about how to sign up for the amenities and received no response. We want to be able to use the amenities as soon as we move in at the end of the month.
She is. She is likely overwhelmed and is taking time to get back. This was a concern of ours too so we brought a check with us on move in day for the amenity fees (add tax) made out to HPS and left it locked in the safe at the front desk for Kolie to pick up when she was available. The turn around time was pretty quick - within 2-4 days we were able to access the gym. The laundry room is available to all who need it. I'm Commons, the bike room was and still is still under construction.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:45 PM

10 posts, read 12,180 times
I signed my lease tonight. Moving in on the 15th. I hope I made the right choice. The building and and amenities are amazing! I can't wait! Thank you everyone. Maybe we can have a holiday/ celebratory drinks??

Old 11-11-2015, 04:45 PM

13 posts, read 15,690 times
Default Kitchen Counters

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfan123 View Post
Does anyone have suggestions for a cleaner to use on the kitchen counters? They stain so easily! The resident handbook doesn't mention anything about the material used for the counters. I've tried Windex, Fantastic, etc., and stains remain.
Magic Eraser. It works on the walls, too. Everything, really.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LICCAT View Post
Does anyone know the brand of paint and shade used on the walls .

I have only been in my apartment for a few days and have noticed numerous marks after moving in my furniture. In my last apartment it took a few years for marks to be noticeable. I would like to do a few touch ups with paint.
There is no paint. This is sheet rock. A building wouldn't have to abide by the "paint every three years" rule until 2018.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPS2015 View Post
Hi, everyone. Can anyone recommend any of the movers from the list HPS provides?

Can anyone recommend another mover they used who is NOT on the list but has the required insurance certificate?

I'm looking for the best price and service.

Thanks very much!!
Katz was awesome and communicative. Early, even. Very fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery