Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2022, 04:29 PM

171 posts, read 183,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonidabc View Post
Hi everyone. A few weeks ago I was able to talk to my agent. He told me that my name was on the next 2 batches. I don’t know how many people are in one batch, but he told me he will contact me in June/July. Probably to submit the updated docs (sent them last October. I’m log in #12xx).

My questions are:
What are the price range for a 1BD that people are getting the most?
My income is basically on the line of the minimum requirement for the lottery, and it would really be hard for me to be able to pay a 1700/1800 a month unless I look for an extra job, which I will do because I’ll most likely still accept because it’s an great opportunity.

Other people were asking if they consider the income, but also other people said that they had friends who got offered a $1700 month with the same income I have. So it doesn’t look like they follow tha rule. .

I was wondering if I should contact my agent and ask him if he could offer me the lowest prince he can find even if I have to let people in front of me and wait a little longer instead.
I don't think it ever hurts to ask, but my understanding is we get one offer, take it or leave it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2022, 07:53 AM

4,770 posts, read 6,560,761 times
The one-bedrooms have been going for around $1,700 to $1,800, and if you read through the whole thread, you will see that some people who really can't afford that much, even though it's a reasonable price, have been offered that.

The reason is that even though it's the 165% bracket, the landlord (for whatever reason) decided to make the lower range of the bracket really low.

I know some posters were going to complaint to HPD that they were offered apartments they couldn't afford.

I don't know why Blackstone isn't taking income into consideration when deciding which apartment should be offered to which applicant, but that's what's happening.

And as Chloe says, above, you will get offered one unit, take it or leave it.

But don't give up hope. Let the process plays out and see what happens!! You could get lucky.

Old 05-12-2022, 04:33 PM

171 posts, read 183,040 times
Anyone who was on the list for a 2 bedroom receive an offer in the last month or so? I'm trying to figure out around what lottery number they were last up to. Thanks!

Old 05-13-2022, 09:36 AM

110 posts, read 212,119 times
It looks like it will be long wait for us in the 4000's club. People keep mentioning it closing in Feb 2023, but they still seem to be dealing with the previous lottery too? Is that the date they stop issuing apartments for this lottery? I didn't see that in the original info.

Old 05-13-2022, 11:33 AM

118 posts, read 126,152 times
Default How many rent stabilized before lottery

Hello all,

I was reading online the deal between Stuytown and Blackstone.
5000 apts have to be rent stabalized in total in the entire Stuytown/ CPV my question is does anyone know how many rent stabalized were they prior to the start of the lottery?

I also checked the email that they sent me on april 27-2021 to inform me of my log number… it just states that the lottery will last 2 years… since the registration started on March 1-2021… that could be why many of us are assuming that it will end at the end of February

Old 05-13-2022, 11:47 AM

The 5,000 apartments probably include the ones that have already been renovated and were market rate, and so they are quite expensive. So, yes, they're stabilized, but if the rent for a one-bedroom is already $4,000, that's a lot of money.

If you can provide the link you were reading, I might be able to suss out some details. There is more than one deal between Blackstone and the city, which complicates things.

Old 05-13-2022, 01:37 PM

This is great news! The two power plants that Blackstone was building on Stuy Town property have been stopped permanently! They would have burned fossil fuel to make electricity, and Blackstone was going to sell it to Con Ed. It's great to see tenant activism get results.

From the STPCV Tenants Association:

Today we’re thrilled to join City Council Member Keith Powers, Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney, State Senator Brad Hoylman, Assembly Member Harvey Epstein, and Borough President Mark Levine to announce that Beam Living and Blackstone have agreed not to move forward with the two proposed Combined Heat and Power plants in Stuyvesant Town.
In 2018, Beam Living announced plans to build a fossil-fuel-burning CHP plant between 245 and 271 Avenue C. Two years later, they announced their intention to build a bigger CHP plant under the floor of a garage on 20th Street.

Over the past year and a half, our elected representatives worked tirelessly with the Tenants Association to bring residents’ concerns to the owner. At the same time, the TA and a committee of tenacious and dedicated residents mobilized tenants, who signed hundreds of postcards and petitions, massed at our rallies, and spoke out for their neighbors, both inside and outside the community.

A big thanks to Council Member Powers and the continued unwavering support of Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney, NYS Senator Brad Hoylman, NYS Assemblymember Harvey Epstein, Manhattan Borough President Mark Levine, and former Borough President Gale Brewer.

This is a great moment for our Stuyvesant Town and Peter Cooper Village community!
“This is a highly satisfactory resolution to an issue that concerned many residents. I am grateful to all who signed petitions and postcards and came to our rallies, and to the cadre of hard-working tenants who formed our CHP strategy committee,” said Susan Steinberg, president of the Stuyvesant Town–Peter Cooper Village Tenants Association. “I also want to acknowledge the effective support of our elected representatives. In particular I want to call out our Council Member Keith Powers, whose nonstop negotiations with Blackstone resulted in their pulling the project. Finally, I want to acknowledge Blackstone for its willingness to recognize how critical this issue was for us and for doing the right thing.”

Old 05-18-2022, 04:46 PM

49 posts, read 52,015 times
I just got a request for documents! What is the rent looking like if I make 55k?

Old 05-18-2022, 05:10 PM

What size apartment? Didn't Stuy Town give you information about the rent ranges for each size? (It doesn't depend on your income.)

Old 05-18-2022, 06:24 PM

65 posts, read 73,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercuteanon View Post
I just got a request for documents! What is the rent looking like if I make 55k?
Is this a first request or have you previously submitted documents? What is your lottery number?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery