Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2023, 07:10 AM

12 posts, read 18,632 times

Advertisements

Hi Yaya,

That was my understanding too from reading this thread for the past two years.
When I received the offer, I read it, jumped and cried and accept it right away... and then I spent days chasing them to send the lease. They didn't mentioned anything about not seeing the apartment or entering the premises. Strange that they would say is a liability, when I already started my lease and my insurance is effective from lease start date. Their bad! haha, I've been there plenty of times, went and cleaned the whole apartment, took my plants on a road trip on the bus to their new home.

I have to say it was a weird sensation to enter my new home blindly. I've seen plenty of floorplans and apartment "examples" online, even from the same building and same letter unit, but I was nervous about the appliances, kitchen cabinets and the bathroom. But my mouth dropped when I went in, everything is beautiful. I am in a 3rd floor and there is so many trees outside my window that I feel I am living in the countryside. <3 The apartment is perfect for me. It was meant to be.
I am very happy and excited. Can't wait to move completely and start this new chapter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2023, 08:45 AM

197 posts, read 219,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIRA26 View Post
We are about to be neighbors. I just received my offer as well and I am coming to the same building same floor. Hopefully all will be done by January. I have a question what color are the floors and is the apartment looks just like the link color wise and cabinets? Also are the closest finished?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoderosoGuerrero View Post
Hi all,

A moment 2+ years in the making but here I am.
Happy to say that I received my offer two weeks ago and will move in about two weeks to a one bedroom in PCV. $1600 including A/C's charges.

Here's my timeline:

March 2021 - Applied for the lottery
February 2022 - First contact to submit paperwork.
Mrrch to August 2022 - Called and email for updates
August 2022 - Resubmitted paperwork.
September 2022 to February 2023 - Called and email for updates.
February 2023 - Resubmitted paperwork
April 18th - Received offer.
May 3rd - Signed lease.
May 9th - Picked up keys and saw the apartment for the first time.
End of May - Moving Day! Yay!

I have to say, between the offer and the lease signing, those were the worst and most anxiety filled days of my life.
When you are not used to good things happen to you, you feel like anything can swept the rug under your feet and not get what you wanted.

Luckily, that didn't happened and I am very happy with the apartment. It's so big and the kitchen and bathroom are beautiful. More that I was expecting.

From a pessimist, I only have to say. What is yours, nothing or no one can take it way from you!
Be patient, follow up and keep getting updates. Your time will come!

P.S. the timing couldn't be more perfect because my current lease ends in May 31st.

Good luck! Best wishes to you all!
Congratulations! Thank you for sharing your timeline. Your journey has been quite remarkable, and I am impressed by your perseverance over the past two years. As for myself, I've only been with PCV for six months, but I am already immensely satisfied with my experience. I've even had the opportunity to meet some people from the forum for coffee, and they were all incredibly kind and gracious.

Old 06-26-2023, 12:15 PM

24 posts, read 20,955 times
Does anyone know what's going on with 3 bedrooms? We were called last summer and told they made it to our log number for a 2 bedroom but we declined and said we would wait for a 3 bedroom. They said it could take a year..... has anyone heard of
The 3 bedroom list moving at all??? TIA!!! Our family is outgrowing our small 2 bedroom very quickly!!!

Old 06-28-2023, 11:28 AM

29 posts, read 32,393 times
Apparently there has been no movement on the 3 BR list for quite some time and they don't know when there will be.

Old 06-28-2023, 01:06 PM

4,766 posts, read 6,555,721 times
Sad to say, there are very few three-bedrooms in the complex, compared to the numbers of one-bedrooms or two-bedrooms. This is odd because ST/PCV was built to house veterans and their families.

Old 06-29-2023, 04:23 PM

29 posts, read 32,393 times
Hi Macnyc2003, first, you've been such a great support for this board I want to say thank you! Second, I think maybe it was a different time where it was not uncommon for multiple kids to be in one bedroom, and the parents in the other. Why would most families need a third bedroom? I am also on the 3 BR list, and there's no movement. It makes sense in terms of what is available for the public.

Old 06-29-2023, 04:40 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Sad to say, there are very few three-bedrooms in the complex, compared to the numbers of one-bedrooms or two-bedrooms. This is odd because ST/PCV was built to house veterans and their families.
Post war families learned not to want what they didn't have. Considering housing shortage that lasted well into 1960's many young families were just happy to find someplace, especially new be it a house or apartment.

Even in new home construction (as in a house) much post war housing for vets and others had a master bedroom and maybe one or two extra. Of course in a house you may have had other options for creating extra bedrooms such as basement or attic.

Bunk beds were *really* popular. You could leave them down as two singles or stacked to give more space. Thus if there were three kids one set of bunk beds plus a single was common enough arrangement for homes/apartments with two bedrooms (master plus one spare).

Only fly in ointment came if family had children of mixed sexes. At some point boys and girls cannot share same bedroom so something had to be arranged or family moved house.

If it came to worst a sofa bed was in living room and that became someone's "bedroom".

Old 06-29-2023, 04:55 PM

4,766 posts, read 6,555,721 times
That's why so many of them moved to the "new" suburbs on Long Island and New Jersey.

Old 06-29-2023, 05:32 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
That's why so many of them moved to the "new" suburbs on Long Island and New Jersey.
IIRC NYCHA projects that went up in post war years do have some three bedroom units.

Then again federal government was funding NYCHA, Met Life had to build what they hope could rent and get most bang for their bucks land and other development wise.

Many families likely would have loved a three bedroom in STPCV but could they afford such an apartment back then? Or flipping it around could Met Life price such units at rents a family could afford and still make a profit.

A third bedroom of course is nice, but as have said people have and still do make do with just one for their kids. Heck even Mike and Carol Brady didn't move out of that house forcing three boys and three girls to share bedrooms each with only the one bathroom between them.

Sticking with Brady Bunch example there again you see how three kids (if all of same sex) can easily share a bedroom using bunk beds and one single. As kids grow into teens there likely is bound to be some tension but IMHO kids growing up in tight quarters tend to be closer as adults.

Old 06-29-2023, 08:32 PM

3,130 posts, read 2,724,468 times
My parents thought nothing of having 3 kids in a two-bed. It was only when #4 was on the way that they took something bigger. We had a bunk bed AND a trundle bed. But, realistically, once a kid hits adolescence, they need some private space. I shudder to think what went on in that Brady bathroom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery