Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2023, 03:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,859 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how much these apartments go up in cost each year? I had been on the list for a 1 bedroom and would love to consider switching to a 2 bedroom list, but hard to know if I can afford it beyond the first year. Any advice? Ms Wentt is my advisor and she never gives me straight answers and I feel like I'm just annoying her by asking questions. But I can't decide between 1 bdrm list or 2 bdrm list - any suggestions or advice on choosing between?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2023, 05:01 PM

65 posts, read 73,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrzoznowski View Post
Does anyone know how much these apartments go up in cost each year? I had been on the list for a 1 bedroom and would love to consider switching to a 2 bedroom list, but hard to know if I can afford it beyond the first year. Any advice? Ms Wentt is my advisor and she never gives me straight answers and I feel like I'm just annoying her by asking questions. But I can't decide between 1 bdrm list or 2 bdrm list - any suggestions or advice on choosing between?
They're rent stabilized, so they go up the % that the rent guidelines board votes on for rent stabilized units each year. The exact % is different every year.

https://portal.311.nyc.gov/article/?kanumber=KA-03296

Old 03-10-2023, 05:08 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,633,619 times
Quote:
Just checking, are you sure you are eligible for both 1 and 2 bed list? The increase in rent I suspect is beyond Stytown/PCV’s control. Take what you can get and proceed from there.

Old 03-10-2023, 06:45 PM

26 posts, read 19,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I haven’t seen an official announcement for either the extension of the 2021 lottery nor a 2023 lottery.
The official announcement should be next week.

Old 03-14-2023, 02:50 PM

118 posts, read 126,205 times
Where should we look for the official announcement? Does anyone have a link. I have a very good friend who would like to apply. Thanks

Old 03-17-2023, 06:28 AM

20 posts, read 23,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunblasts View Post
The official announcement should be next week.
where did you hear this and the fact that this lottery will continue + there will be a next one?

Old 03-19-2023, 01:55 PM

171 posts, read 183,307 times
Quote:
They go up a percentage every time you renew your lease. The amount is decided by the city year to year, so a bit hard to predict. I'd factor in 3-6% but some years we could get lucky and it be less and some years not lucky and could be worse. Also it's important we all try to vote people into office that take tenants rights seriously or they can place people on the committee that will vote more favorably to the landlords.

Old 03-20-2023, 06:58 AM

26 posts, read 19,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claire18 View Post
where did you hear this and the fact that this lottery will continue + there will be a next one?
Email from Syed, when I asked about the lottery website being down.
Guess they're behind schedule setting it back up.

Old 03-21-2023, 08:41 AM

118 posts, read 126,205 times
Sûre, but can you please provide the link that we should be looking at for such notice. I moved in oct to stuytown as a lottery recipient and it has been great. A dear friend of mine who is desperately looking for an apt would like to apply. I want to make sure she signs up as soon as it opens to have a good log number. Thanks

Old 03-21-2023, 08:46 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,563,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaya24 View Post
Sûre, but can you please provide the link that we should be looking at for such notice. I moved in oct to stuytown as a lottery recipient and it has been great. A dear friend of mine who is desperately looking for an apt would like to apply. I want to make sure she signs up as soon as it opens to have a good log number. Thanks
You are a good friend! I wanted to point out that this is a lottery, and so it doesn't matter when you sign up and enter. It's not first come, first served. Log numbers are generated randomly after the lottery time period has closed.

Welcome to Stuy Town! I'm glad you're enjoying it. This time of year, it's nice to see the trees and flowers starting to bloom. I'm looking forward to the Oval reopening for the season. And the ice cream truck, of course!

Last edited by macnyc2003; 03-21-2023 at 08:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery