Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2023, 01:34 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlinesquare View Post
That's what I had read on city date forum too.
BUT on that link (even though it's a recent new change)
It states buildings built on or before year 2015 in low income restricted will have 35 years for 421-a and that even after it ends the rent stabilized is permanent as you as you live there . My current building was built year 2012 so doesn't this new rule applies to my current building? .
Also, I'm assuming it applies to THIS building built year 2022..correct?
You need to find out exactly which flavor of 421-a governs your current building. This should have been spelled out in original lease and or riders attached to same. You can also look up information on various city websites: https://a836-pts-access.nyc.gov/care...ntent/home.htm

See also: https://www.hklaw.com/en/insights/pu...s-new-rent-law
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2023, 01:46 PM

275 posts, read 204,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
(I don’t know how the following is effected by the 421-a status of a building. These are two programs that can freeze the rent of a qualified person the first is for people age 62+, perhaps you will be age 62 before any 421-a expiration. The next is for people with disabilities.

SCRIE
https://access.nyc.gov/programs/seni...emption-scrie/

DRIE
https://access.nyc.gov/programs/disa...xemption-drie/

Hope this helps)
Thank you so much but I also had researched above already and had already asked about it to my building.
They advised that rent freeze is only for rent stabilized apartment, public housing etc etc .... so lets pretend I turn 62 BEFORE 421-a expires and get approved for SCRIE, it will also end for SCIRE when rent stabilized ends (421-a ends) .
After 421-a expires and go into Market Rate- you cannot use SCRIE -
even if you could use SCRIE (rent freeze) on Market Rate that's still HIGH RENT !

Last edited by Waterlinesquare; 12-06-2023 at 01:59 PM..

Old 12-06-2023, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
(I don’t know how the following is effected by the 421-a status of a building. These are two programs that can freeze the rent of a qualified person the first is for people age 62+, perhaps you will be age 62 before any 421-a expiration. The next is for people with disabilities.

SCRIE
https://access.nyc.gov/programs/seni...emption-scrie/

DRIE
https://access.nyc.gov/programs/disa...xemption-drie/

Hope this helps)
SCRIE and DRIE are only open to rent regulated tenants and a few select others. For most part market rate tenants are not able to receive either benefit.

Old 12-06-2023, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You need to find out exactly which flavor of 421-a governs your current building. This should have been spelled out in original lease and or riders attached to same. You can also look up information on various city websites: https://a836-pts-access.nyc.gov/care...ntent/home.htm

See also: https://www.hklaw.com/en/insights/pu...s-new-rent-law
Exactly, they are shady etc for not stating that part on my lease.
"You need to find out exactly which flavor of 421-a governs your current building "
Thank you so much , sorry do you mind explaining what that means ? "Flavor " is that a typo?

Old 12-06-2023, 03:45 PM

Quote:
"You need to find out exactly which flavor of 421-a governs your current building "
Thank you so much , sorry do you mind explaining what that means ? "Flavor " is that a typo?
There is 421-a, 421-a(16) and so it goes.. Program was around for decades but changes were made over years.

See link previously provided.

Old 12-06-2023, 09:15 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,642,464 times
Default Ask knowledgeable people

Quote:
(Yes, they could be being “shady” about it. But also, they might be ignorant of what type of 421 is in place. And perhaps don’t want to admit it. You need to seek the person or office that has the correct answers. Ask for a referral to an office or person that might be knowledgeable. The people that collect the rent and manage the building day to day might not know anything thing about it. I could believe this easily if the 421 expiration is several years away.

We understand how the 421 details are very important to you and your future. For the management if the 421 expiration is years away it’s just not important to them in the near term, and it doesn’t matter much because they can’t change the circumstances. They will begin thinking about crossing that 421 bridge when it’s near on their horizon.

Perhaps off-site financial people are thinking about the future of 421 there, for example if ownership is thinking about selling the building they want to consider what rent revenue would be in the decades to come.

You will be better served digging for the 421 details yourself. Try calling 311. Someplace in the government this is written down. They didn’t just make the deal on a handshake. I suppose this answer will take time to get.

If you like where you live and want to stay you should get these 421 details. It might take several attempts in different places to learn the facts. Many people might not have a clue and you should not rely on guesses.

Speculation: It’s not entirely far fetched that a legislative intervention could happen. The government might pass a regulation allowing them to offer a deal to extend affordable rents in exchange for tax breaks, perhaps carve outs for senior citizens and disabled people. Of course, this is only a hypothetical, and an optional one at that.

Take notes on the responses you get. Good luck and good patience.)

Old 12-10-2023, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightPrince69 View Post
I knew these units were tiny. Who wants to live in a box?
I'm praying for a Christmas miracle that they will reach your log# this month lol .

We all should check our housing connect building applications sometimes because for some buildings that I had applied to , when the" applied " status had changed to " no more units " status ,sometimes I do not recieve an email it would only say on housing connect.
Maybe it ONLY happens to me ???, well I will post on here if my housing connect for this building change from "applied " to " nomore units " .

Old 12-11-2023, 09:42 AM

172 posts, read 129,419 times
I was told they are quickly running out on 60% AMI apartments today.

Last edited by Bkbound7; 12-11-2023 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 12-11-2023, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkbound7 View Post
I was told they are quickly running out on 60% AMI apartments today.
God bless/thank you for the update.. how about the studios for 60% AMI ? .
Are they up to batch 4 or batch 3? Log #s?
I was told batch 3 from one place and batch 4 from another place (so I didn't post since I was given two different information ) .

Old 12-11-2023, 10:54 AM

172 posts, read 129,419 times
All units for 60% AMI they are low on. I’m unsure which batch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery