Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2023, 11:46 AM

30 posts, read 35,901 times

Advertisements

Actually this isn’t quite how it works. Only 50% of units are designated for CB, so they could have fulfilled their “CB” amount of 1BRs but still have 1BRs for GP. Thanks for the clarification toodoloo about the 60% Ami!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2023, 11:46 AM

174 posts, read 133,147 times
Really hoping us with higher log numbers have a chance.

Old 10-23-2023, 12:18 PM

22 posts, read 14,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodleloo View Post
I believe it’s no more 1bdrm for 60% AND mobility.

Meaning there should still be 1bdrms available for GP at 60%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingonaprayerinnyc View Post
Actually this isn’t quite how it works. Only 50% of units are designated for CB, so they could have fulfilled their “CB” amount of 1BRs but still have 1BRs for GP. Thanks for the clarification toodoloo about the 60% Ami!
Not being rude, but if you go back a few pages, this conversation has been brought up a few times and you're incorrect. Feel free to reference the handbook too.

50% CB preference isnt by AMI/Room. It is 50% of what CB applicants are qualified etc for.
So if all of CB preference qualified for 80% AMI, it's possible they can take all the 80% AMI units. The other GP 50% would fall into the other AMI

Old 10-23-2023, 12:25 PM

22 posts, read 14,775 times
to clarify here is the order of processing from the handbook
-----

Handbook, page 22
‘C. ORDER OF PROCESSING
1. The first batches of applications that the Marketing Agent processes must be batches for approved set-aside categories or preferences. For more information on processing of preferences, see Section 5-1 (page 36 ) “Set-Asides and Preferences.” ‘

Set-Asides and Preferences, being:
A. Disability Set-Asides (at least two different categories)
B. Community Preference
C. Municipal Employee Preference
D. Residency Preference For New York City Residents
E. Additional Set-Asides And Preferences
F. Set-Asides And Preferences At Re-Rental
G. Homeless Referrals
H. Referrals
-----

This can matter, because perhaps there are very few of a certain type of unit, for example only one 3 bedrooms unit might be in a lottery, and CB preference has to have a shot at selecting that before GP gets to. Likewise, for each AMI% category. GP (or non prefence) can take the only 80% AMI unit unless all the CB preference log# have passed on the unit. If it can be determined early that not a single CB preference log# qualifies for a 3 bedroom unit then it would be fair to offer that 3 bedroom unit to no CB preference log#s earlier in the process.

Typically for CB preference, there is a 50% allocation of units. This allocation is AMY combination that totals half the units. There is not a proscribed distribution. There is not a 50% allocation by each AMI%, nor by each unit size. The outcome will be a matter of luck, and what the CB log#s decide.

Old 10-23-2023, 04:51 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,670,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrl-alt-delete View Post
50% CB preference isnt by AMI/Room. It is 50% of what CB applicants are qualified etc for.
So if all of CB preference qualified for 80% AMI, it's possible they can take all the 80% AMI units. The other GP 50% would fall into the other AMI
Yes, I agree. Any combination of units that adds up to 50%. Every unit no mater size or AMI counts as +1 toward the 50% allotment.

Mobility was mentioned in a recent post. We should distinguish between the allotment for the mobility disability population, and the total number of units constructed with mobility disability features which can be more that the preference allotment. If a building has 20 units in a lottery the allocation for mobility disability lottery households is one unit. But, the building might construct more than the one unit required. After the allotted one unit is filled, I don’t see a regulation that says other units with mobility disability features must only be offered to households with a qualified disability. To say, ‘All the mobility disability units are filled’ might be confused for saying the allotment of the one mobility disability preference has been filled. It would confuse matters further if there were vacant units with mobility disability features after the allotment of one such unit was filled.

Old 10-25-2023, 04:37 PM

30 posts, read 35,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
Yes, I agree. Any combination of units that adds up to 50%. Every unit no mater size or AMI counts as +1 toward the 50% allotment.

Mobility was mentioned in a recent post. We should distinguish between the allotment for the mobility disability population, and the total number of units constructed with mobility disability features which can be more that the preference allotment. If a building has 20 units in a lottery the allocation for mobility disability lottery households is one unit. But, the building might construct more than the one unit required. After the allotted one unit is filled, I don’t see a regulation that says other units with mobility disability features must only be offered to households with a qualified disability. To say, ‘All the mobility disability units are filled’ might be confused for saying the allotment of the one mobility disability preference has been filled. It would confuse matters further if there were vacant units with mobility disability features after the allotment of one such unit was filled.
cntrl + alt + delete not rude at all, we're in agreement. Yes, 50% of TOTAL units for the lottery have to go to CB, doesn't have to be an even 50% across all AMIs and all types of bedrooms. So yes, they could designate for example all 1BRs for 60% AMI as CB as long as the total adds up to 50% of the total units for the lottery. However, based on people's previous posts I didn't get that impression that that is how they are doing this particular lottery. We won't really know exactly how much is designated for which AMI other than, like you said, knowing 50% total will be CB.

My broader point was if CB was "filled" there still could be a possibility that 1BRs are indeed left and available for GP (not guaranteed, but still a possibility). Especially if they did go the route of deciding to just split everything in half. I guess time will tell.

In the meantime, if anyone hears of them moving on beyond #324, please post! Hoping we get to #1xxx by the end of the year!

Old 10-28-2023, 12:25 AM

275 posts, read 205,958 times
Does anyone know for how many years is the 421-a for this building? How many years the unit stays affordable until it expires ?
My current building 421-a expires in year 2039(written on my original lease ) 25 years, i thought it was suppose to be 35 years

Old 10-31-2023, 12:12 PM

51 posts, read 36,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkbound7 View Post
Really hoping us with higher log numbers have a chance.
Ugh! I’m praying!

Old 11-02-2023, 08:58 AM

174 posts, read 133,147 times
Hoping by December I can know my fate with this lottery lol. There are things I would like to do that I’ve kind of been delaying due to this.

Old 11-02-2023, 12:21 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,670,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkbound7 View Post
Hoping by December I can know my fate with this lottery lol. There are things I would like to do that I’ve kind of been delaying due to this.
I don’t mean to be discouraging but November to MLK Day in January is full of holidays where people get day(s) off of work. In the case of schools, many days off of work. People with kids in schools take additional vacation days. This might contribute to lower productivity with the lottery process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery