Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 02:36 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times

Advertisements

my grandparents were "transplants" from Poland.

New york has been built on and by transplants, like forever. Since the first Dutch transplants arrived.

I doubt Walmart will be mainly selling to transplants.

When I grew up, there were no mcdonalds in NYC. It was a suburban thing. I think I saw one in the city first in the mid 70s, in Manhattan. They didnt make it to brooklyn for years after that.

Who mainly goes to Mcd's in NY today? Hipsters? I dont recall seeing one in Williamsburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 03:12 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
my grandparents were "transplants" from Poland.

New york has been built on and by transplants, like forever. Since the first Dutch transplants arrived.

I doubt Walmart will be mainly selling to transplants.

When I grew up, there were no mcdonalds in NYC. It was a suburban thing. I think I saw one in the city first in the mid 70s, in Manhattan. They didnt make it to brooklyn for years after that.

Who mainly goes to Mcd's in NY today? Hipsters? I dont recall seeing one in Williamsburg.
Transplant seems to be a realestate term. I would rather say immigrant because immigrants and transplants from other states are two different things the only thing they have in common is that both come to NYC to work and try hard to make it. I guess they should call transplants migrants. Hipsters rather go and fetch food from Wholefoods in the village and haul it back to williamsburg before they ever eat at MCDS.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:07 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
When people call me a transplant it makes me feel like a heart or a lung. Those are really important. So I guess I'm really important

Old 12-29-2010, 09:24 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
Quote:
When I grew up, there were no mcdonalds in NYC. It was a suburban thing. I think I saw one in the city first in the mid 70s, in Manhattan.
Wow. I remember being around 8 yrs old and slightly upset because there was no Pizza Hut or Red Lobster in NYC. I think I had asked my mom to take me there or something-- but I do remember thinking: "How can we think we're a 'great' city without Red Lobster?" Kids think the darndest things.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Hipsters rather go and fetch food from Wholefoods in the village and haul it back to williamsburg before they ever eat at MCDS.
My point is, why do wholefoods and starbucks make the city bland, but McDonalds does not? Is this about chains and homogenization, or is it about resentment of educated young people with non-traditional tastes?

In the 1980s when I visited brooklyn (home) from Jacksonville, I wondered why it seemed so distinctive from the rest of the country, beyond the more obvious reasons.

One idea I had was that it didnt have cable TV, which was already pervading the culture. There are LOTS of things that have homogenized NY with the broader culture, from cableTV to fast food chains. Only a few of those things can be fairly attributed to US born in migrants, especially the "hipsters" among them.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
My point is, why do wholefoods and starbucks make the city bland, but McDonalds does not? Is this about chains and homogenization, or is it about resentment of educated young people with non-traditional tastes?
Hmm. I don't know but I think it's about the "tragically hip" wanting everything to be indie, indie, indie. Like if it's not indie, it's evil or something. Yet they're ginormous fans of Apple/Steve Jobs. He ain't indie. Maybe at one time he was but he's on the stock exchange now.

Quote:
Only a few of those things can be fairly attributed to US born in migrants, especially the "hipsters" among them.
Huh? Is that a typo? Did you mean immigrants? Cuz 99.999% of hipsters are white and from west of the Mississippi. Rarely do I see a hipster with non-white skin.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
Hmm. I don't know but I think it's about the "tragically hip" wanting everything to be indie, indie, indie. Like if it's not indie, it's evil or something. Yet they're ginormous fans of Apple/Steve Jobs. He ain't indie. Maybe at one time he was but he's on the stock exchange now.

Huh? Is that a typo? Did you mean immigrants? Cuz 99.999% of hipsters are white and from west of the Mississippi. Rarely do I see a hipster with non-white skin.
I think they like Apple cause its good design, even if its not always the best value proposition in terms of specs/price.

If they want to be indie everything, they can't really be the folks supporting starbucks.

I said in migrants. Not immigrants. As in someone who migrated to NY from somewhere else. I said US born in migrants to specifically refer to in migrants who are NOT immigrants. I did not refer to race at all in that post.

in-migrant - Definition of in-migrant at YourDictionary.com

Old 12-29-2010, 11:55 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
If they want to be indie everything, they can't really be the folks supporting starbucks.

Uhhhh nah you're a little off base on this. Starbucks starts popping up like fungus specifically because of these yupsters. The chain would not thrive like it does if it wasn't consistently mobbed by these folk like it is.....

Old 12-29-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Uhhhh nah you're a little off base on this. Starbucks starts popping up like fungus specifically because of these yupsters. The chain would not thrive like it does if it wasn't consistently mobbed by these folk like it is.....

then they can't be the folks who want indie everything, now can they.

BTW, is it possible you are conflating hipster and yuppie?

Also, I might point out, Starbucks does just fine in places with neither hipsters nor yuppies. Come on down to Fairfax county some time and see.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I said in migrants. Not immigrants. As in someone who migrated to NY from somewhere else. I said US born in migrants to specifically refer to in migrants who are NOT immigrants. I did not refer to race at all in that post.

in-migrant - Definition of in-migrant at YourDictionary.com
Thanks for the clarification and the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City