Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 04:35 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,204,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
There's absolutely nothing that conservatism has produced that I am even remotely interested in.
Besides the point that you are misrepresenting conservatism, what do you want? Open borders? High taxation? Strangling regulation? Division of people into skin color, sex, or genitalia usage? Dictatorship of a few select people in Central Govt telling you how to run your lives? Misery? Scorched Earth? Riots? You want entire country to become like Detroit? Because that's what "liberals" turn their lands into.

You may want all the above, but surely most people don't. This board is an example of how people are leaving behind "liberal" states like NY and CA, and flocking to conservative states.

People hate "liberalism" when they get to experience it.

Last edited by Henry10; 05-26-2016 at 04:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 05:37 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,539,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
"SEVERAL" centuries? So 2 now is "several?"

Liberalism has been misplacing conservatism gradually and increasingly in the last 100 years ago. Speed has been picking up.

Besides who wants forms of Govt to be changing constantly? A society with a Govt turmoil is not civil. No, laws have to be stable and predictable.
You dodged the question, boyo.

Change is the very nature of innovation. You claim conservatism is innovative and yet here you are decrying change in the government.

Look, I'm not saying conservatism is a bad thing. However, like anything, it needs competition or else society stagnates and crumbles.

Liberalism has its negatives; so does conservatism. I know you'd have people believe conservatism is flawless and liberalism is a disease but that's plainly untrue. Hence, centrist.

You are a two dimensional thinker, Henry.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
You dodged the question, boyo.

Change is the very nature of innovation. You claim conservatism is innovative and yet here you are decrying change in the government.
BTW, "conservative" is also a bastardization of the true meaning of what US Constitution and its Republic represent.

If you studied history and systems of Govt, US Constitution is not just innovative, but it is cutting edge, outrageously new and powerful. Comparing it with "liberalism", which is another tyrannical form of Govt, which has existed for 4000-5000 years -- there is no comparison.

This Constitution and Republic, coupled with Capitalism has brought human progress in unseen-before speed and scale.

It's like comparing a Ferrari to a horse-and buggy.

Quote:
Look, I'm not saying conservatism is a bad thing. However, like anything, it needs competition or else society stagnates and crumbles.

Liberalism has its negatives; so does conservatism. I know you'd have people believe conservatism is flawless and liberalism is a disease but that's plainly untrue. Hence, centrist.

You are a two dimensional thinker, Henry.

You're good sport CookieSkoon, but I certainly don't think that conservative Govt is flawless. It is a product of imperfect humans, so it is imperfect.

I am very well aware of many aspects of "liberalism," shades of gray, or European social-democracies. I do also think that it is naive to think that both can sustain co-existence.

But its record in comparison to "liberalism" is -- there is really no comparison. When given a choice people overwhelmingly choose Conservative Governance, unless of course you have your hand out.

Last edited by Henry10; 05-26-2016 at 05:55 PM..

Old 05-26-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
You're good sport CookieSkoon, but I certainly don't think that conservative Govt is flawless. It is a product of imperfect humans, so it is imperfect.

I am very well aware of many aspects of "liberalism," shades of gray, or European social-democracies. I do also think that it is naive to think that both can sustain co-existence.

But its record in comparison to "liberalism" is -- there is really no comparison. When given a choice people overwhelmingly choose Conservative Governance, unless of course you have your hand out.
Given the tone of this particular reply I have to say I've misjudged your intentions perhaps.

Forgive my aggression, in that case.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Given the tone of this particular reply I have to say I've misjudged your intentions perhaps.

Forgive my aggression, in that case.

I too apologize for my aggression.

It's clear most people, whether they vote GOP or Democrat, majority of people live under the same value system -- work hard, go to school, stay out of trouble, fairness, try to be the best parent to the kid, watch the dollar, etc -- Very little is different.

Changes though become dramatic when people express their views on the role and scope of Govt. Which in turn has major consequences to everybody's way of life, first and foremost our own families.

So, if I believe something to be detrimental to my family's well-being, like liberalism for example, which is much more aggressive than we can throw at it -- it is my duty to fight it.

I live in NYS, I work in NYS, my kids go to school in NYS, so I have a lot at stake.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I too apologize for my aggression.

It's clear most people, whether they vote GOP or Democrat, majority of people live under the same value system -- work hard, go to school, stay out of trouble, fairness, try to be the best parent to the kid, watch the dollar, etc -- Very little is different.

Changes though become dramatic when people express their views on the role and scope of Govt. Which in turn has major consequences to everybody's way of life, first and foremost our own families.

So, if I believe something to be detrimental to my family's well-being, like liberalism for example, which is much more aggressive than we can throw at it -- it is my duty to fight it.

I live in NYS, I work in NYS, my kids go to school in NYS, so I have a lot at stake.
Being weary of liberalism in a state like NY where it is to an extreme is entirely understandable.

I do fear for the future state of this... state.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:58 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Very good post, and I agree with all of your points. You'll be better off at least tax-wise escaping NY and taking that financial burden off your back.

You write very well. I realize I haven't been asked, but have you considered working online as a writer? This is what I do, and depending on who your clients are, you can make nice money writing professionally from anywhere.

In any case, good luck and happy trails.
I actually was told by my English professor in college I should pursue short story writing as I was very good with it. I'd love to, but need to find the time as I go to bed by 8pm and up by 3:45am most days.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:04 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Moving to Mississippi with lower taxes won't save the OP. Will she even get a job in Mississippi? Does she have any savings to cushion her when she moves to Mississippi? Does she have a support network that can help her in place in these states until she can get off her feet?

If the answer is no to those questions all she will do is post on this forum and complain and complain.
Well first off I am better off than most are. First we built our house and didn't do like so many-went over our means. So we paid off our house early and own it out right. Long Islander's are gobbling our homes up here in Dutchess County-because they are cheaper than where they live now. Second, I am not stupid enough to move or sell until I have a job offer in hand. That's fool hardy. I do have savings enough to get us through a bit as I sold my later parent's home last year and have been smart enough to invest it so it's making money. But again, it's not wise to move without a job lined up.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:00 PM

179 posts, read 155,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
But again, it's not wise to move without a job lined up.
That is true. But it's a new economy now and almost impossible to find a job remotely. At least I found that in my case. I'm moving to California in November and would have preferred to find a job there before I move, but it is extremely difficult since most companies prefer local candidates and the times of "flying interview candidates out" are long over.

So, I will still move in November even without a job. If I wait to get a job first, I'll be stuck in this miserable state for another miserable winter. Uh, no.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:17 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDot View Post
That is true. But it's a new economy now and almost impossible to find a job remotely. At least I found that in my case. I'm moving to California in November and would have preferred to find a job there before I move, but it is extremely difficult since most companies prefer local candidates and the times of "flying interview candidates out" are long over.

So, I will still move in November even without a job. If I wait to get a job first, I'll be stuck in this miserable state for another miserable winter. Uh, no.
Are you moving to California b/c you're frustrated with the political/tax/economic/government policies of New York? There won't be any relief by doing that as they're very similar in that regard -- run by public sector unions, high taxes, high regulations, losing people to domestic migration but growing through immigration, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York