Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 09:34 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
Not every civil service worker makes enough to live here. The school district I work for historically under pays it's support staff. Most of the people who are monitors in our district all are on some sort of state aid. I make under 40K a year. I pay out almost 9,800 a year JUST for my dental and health insurance. There is nothing for optical. As a public employee, there is no disability insurance since we are paid by the public. God forbid you or your spouse gets cancer and can't work. You are just broke at that point.

I bring home after medical, taxes and dues- $425.00 a week for 40 hours. I get no retirement benefits when I retire-which if I stay here will be never. I have to pay the full amount to get COBRA for health insurance at that time.

So tell me again how GREAT these civil service tests are and great jobs. It's a crap shoot into what district you land in after taking the test. I've not even been able to make a lateral move to another district because no one in the higher paid districts are leaving. They have it much better. I work a split shift to boot dispatching school buses. 5am to 9am, then off until 12 when I work til 4pm. But it never ends out that way, I always end up there for longer hours. And when the letter comes down for no more over-time, I get to stay for free. It's that great?

Our house is up for sale at the end of next month. There IS NO construction here in the mid-Hudson Valley. My spouse worked as concrete dispatcher, his company sold out to a big company and everyone lost their jobs. So he's only been able to get part time work-at Wally World for under 11hr. How is that helping pay our $8k in taxes? It's piddly. He worked for one company for 21 years. It's sad.

So we are taking the money from the sale of our house-we own it out right as we paid it off-and taking our money to where it'll go much further. Yes, we'll take a salary cut. But where we are looking, it'll be more in line with what salaries are there in that area. I can fully afford property tax on WITH ANY job when taxes are about $1000 a year. And lo and behold-they have nicer parks and get this-they support their students in their school and root for that high school team to win the championship. Not hate them like it is here. I'll have some disposable income again. All I do is work, sleep, repeat as there's NOTHING left for entertainment or enjoyment. We went from making over 70K to 48K. Big difference. The median income right now where I live is 82K a year. Just for a person to afford a 1 bedroom apartment. My kids moved out of NYS two years ago because of lack of living wage jobs. They couldn't afford studio apartments that were running over $1200 a month. It's stupid around here.

So we are joining that long line of people leaving. I am 50. I want to work another 15 years. Then be able to enjoy my family as I age. I don't want to drop dead at 80 in NYS working in the school bus garage dispatching school buses. There's more to life that than.

Please turn off the lights when ya all get smart too ok?
I respect you coming on here and explaining your situation. I gotta tell ya, though, $425 a week is going to be hard anywhere that you go. It might stretch in Mississippi, but then also a $10 an hour job might be considered a good job in Mississippi. Obviously, that is your take home pay and a lot if being paid out in healthcare.

Point being, you could have the same luck if you relocated to one of the major metros in NY as you would a major metro in Mississippi or Arkansas. A full time job in Albany or Buffalo could come with healthcare benefits the same as anywhere else. I think the issue for you is living in the NYC metro, even as far out as the mid-Hudson valley. Just like the far flung areas here in NJ/PA (Sussex County, Poconos, Orange County, etc) these areas are dying and nothing is being constructed because no one is moving here. Unless and until people start moving to the ex-burbs again, it will be hard to live in these areas. Unlike places like Raleigh, where the ex-urbs are doing well simply because the inner ring suburbs are filling up and there's no place else to go.

As for taxes, yes, you'll be better off in a lot of other places than NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 11:09 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,578 times
Quote:
Not every civil service worker makes enough to live here. The school district I work for historically under pays it's support staff. Most of the people who are monitors in our district all are on some sort of state aid. I make under 40K a year. I pay out almost 9,800 a year JUST for my dental and health insurance. There is nothing for optical. As a public employee, there is no disability insurance since we are paid by the public. God forbid you or your spouse gets cancer and can't work. You are just broke at that point.

I bring home after medical, taxes and dues- $425.00 a week for 40 hours. I get no retirement benefits when I retire-which if I stay here will be never. I have to pay the full amount to get COBRA for health insurance at that time.

So tell me again how GREAT these civil service tests are and great jobs. It's a crap shoot into what district you land in after taking the test. I've not even been able to make a lateral move to another district because no one in the higher paid districts are leaving. They have it much better. I work a split shift to boot dispatching school buses. 5am to 9am, then off until 12 when I work til 4pm. But it never ends out that way, I always end up there for longer hours. And when the letter comes down for no more over-time, I get to stay for free. It's that great?

Our house is up for sale at the end of next month. There IS NO construction here in the mid-Hudson Valley. My spouse worked as concrete dispatcher, his company sold out to a big company and everyone lost their jobs. So he's only been able to get part time work-at Wally World for under 11hr. How is that helping pay our $8k in taxes? It's piddly. He worked for one company for 21 years. It's sad.

So we are taking the money from the sale of our house-we own it out right as we paid it off-and taking our money to where it'll go much further. Yes, we'll take a salary cut. But where we are looking, it'll be more in line with what salaries are there in that area. I can fully afford property tax on WITH ANY job when taxes are about $1000 a year. And lo and behold-they have nicer parks and get this-they support their students in their school and root for that high school team to win the championship. Not hate them like it is here. I'll have some disposable income again. All I do is work, sleep, repeat as there's NOTHING left for entertainment or enjoyment. We went from making over 70K to 48K. Big difference. The median income right now where I live is 82K a year. Just for a person to afford a 1 bedroom apartment. My kids moved out of NYS two years ago because of lack of living wage jobs. They couldn't afford studio apartments that were running over $1200 a month. It's stupid around here.

So we are joining that long line of people leaving. I am 50. I want to work another 15 years. Then be able to enjoy my family as I age. I don't want to drop dead at 80 in NYS working in the school bus garage dispatching school buses. There's more to life that than.

Very good post, and I agree with all of your points. You'll be better off at least tax-wise escaping NY and taking that financial burden off your back.

You write very well. I realize I haven't been asked, but have you considered working online as a writer? This is what I do, and depending on who your clients are, you can make nice money writing professionally from anywhere.

In any case, good luck and happy trails.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:46 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I respect you coming on here and explaining your situation. I gotta tell ya, though, $425 a week is going to be hard anywhere that you go. It might stretch in Mississippi, but then also a $10 an hour job might be considered a good job in Mississippi. Obviously, that is your take home pay and a lot if being paid out in healthcare.

Point being, you could have the same luck if you relocated to one of the major metros in NY as you would a major metro in Mississippi or Arkansas. A full time job in Albany or Buffalo could come with healthcare benefits the same as anywhere else. I think the issue for you is living in the NYC metro, even as far out as the mid-Hudson valley. Just like the far flung areas here in NJ/PA (Sussex County, Poconos, Orange County, etc) these areas are dying and nothing is being constructed because no one is moving here. Unless and until people start moving to the ex-burbs again, it will be hard to live in these areas. Unlike places like Raleigh, where the ex-urbs are doing well simply because the inner ring suburbs are filling up and there's no place else to go.

Moving to Mississippi with lower taxes won't save the OP. Will she even get a job in Mississippi? Does she have any savings to cushion her when she moves to Mississippi? Does she have a support network that can help her in place in these states until she can get off her feet?

If the answer is no to those questions all she will do is post on this forum and complain and complain.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:

You clearly aren't an union public sector worker in NYS. They get pensions, good benefits, etc. The support staff that is often contracted to outside entities do get paid far less than the actual union public sector workers. There is definitely a big difference.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Are you still living here?

I've only been in NYC for 7 months and am already planning to leave NYS ASAP. It's a little tough right now as I'm still new in my current job but it should be possible later this year or next year.
Goodbye and good riddance.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Yes, you bet. Liberalism / Progressivism is the mortal enemy of a civil society. When I say mortal, I actually do mean literally. Look at European societies who are literally dying.

NYS politicians are hara-kiri (voluntary dismemberment) politicians. We can't stand-by and let them take us with them.
Liberalism/progressivism is what creates a civil society. If you don't like those things you can always moved to Somalia. No liberalism/progressivism.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:45 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,547,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Liberalism/progressivism is what creates a civil society. If you don't like those things you can always moved to Somalia. No liberalism/progressivism.
It's fine until it runs rampant and unchecked and suddenly people are going to jail for insulting feminists and expressing opinion the wishy-washy left find offensive.

Liberalism and conservatism need each other to keep the other in check. Otherwise we end up with thought police.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:38 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post

What's sad is that my 37K salary isn't enough to keep us afloat in NY. But the district I work for has not been fair with it's full time workers. Health care that's as high as that with as many people in our district, it should be lower for my costs.

We are in the Mid-Hudson Valley area of Dutchess County. Nothing is cheap here. I can earn a better rate of pay out of NYS. My counter parts in the same civil service job that I have-same test-same duties, make 20K more a year than I do. My district pays the lowest in the county. We are losing employees by the droves.

Let's face it. Moving to a new area out of NYS, I'll be saving right off the bat.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:42 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You clearly aren't an union public sector worker in NYS. They get pensions, good benefits, etc. The support staff that is often contracted to outside entities do get paid far less than the actual union public sector workers. There is definitely a big difference.
Um, yes i am. I work for a public school district in Dutchess County. I took a civil service test and landed in a low paying job. CSEA Local 1000 represents us and they negotiate my salary at contract times. We are all district employees, no one is a contractor there. Everyone has a misguided perception of union workers that we all get great deals. We don't. The district actually owns their own fleet of school buses. I dispatch them.

Go to SeeThroughNY.org then you can see every salary in NYS.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:16 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Quote:
What's sad is that my 37K salary isn't enough to keep us afloat in NY. But the district I work for has not been fair with it's full time workers. Health care that's as high as that with as many people in our district, it should be lower for my costs.

We are in the Mid-Hudson Valley area of Dutchess County. Nothing is cheap here. I can earn a better rate of pay out of NYS. My counter parts in the same civil service job that I have-same test-same duties, make 20K more a year than I do. My district pays the lowest in the county. We are losing employees by the droves.

Let's face it. Moving to a new area out of NYS, I'll be saving right off the bat.
You might. I have been searching out of state and I'm appalled at how abysmally low salaries are in so many areas of this country. $37k is not uncommon for pretty skilled jobs in other parts of the country. As a rule, I have found that the more scenic the place is, the lower the salary. Denver, Portland, ME; Phoenix, and areas near Portland / Seattle have some really bad salaries compared to the cost of living. Much of the South can be included as well, although you might luck out depending on their desperation as the area is growing so fast, that certain industries are enticing new people with higher salaries. I know a healthcare worker that doubled her NJ salary in moving to GA.

Indianapolis, for example, is one place that I can think of that has reasonable salaries and a pretty darn low cost of living. Again, not a scenic area but it is growing somewhat, low taxes, and there are nice, new houses there for a steal compared to NYS. It all depends on what you want, though.

I think you could do well outside the mid-Hudson valley, even in other parts of the state. Its an area with NYC metro costs but without NYC metro salaries. Like the Poconos or the ex-urbs in NJ. Its also why people are fleeing these areas like the plague.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York