Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 10:39 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,547,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Are you moving to California b/c you're frustrated with the political/tax/economic/government policies of New York? There won't be any relief by doing that as they're very similar in that regard -- run by public sector unions, high taxes, high regulations, losing people to domestic migration but growing through immigration, etc.
I'd even argue that Cali is worse than NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 12:15 PM

179 posts, read 156,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Are you moving to California b/c you're frustrated with the political/tax/economic/government policies of New York? There won't be any relief by doing that as they're very similar in that regard -- run by public sector unions, high taxes, high regulations, losing people to domestic migration but growing through immigration, etc.
Maybe. But there are jobs there in my field, and the weather is great, and that is good enough for me. My ultimate goal is to get out of the USA. Baby steps.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:33 AM

33 posts, read 68,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDot View Post
Maybe. But there are jobs there in my field, and the weather is great, and that is good enough for me. My ultimate goal is to get out of the USA. Baby steps.
I feel the same way about Cali vs NY when I hear the similarities.. The weather is enough for me to make the leap! I can't tell you how many days per year I leave my house for work and I'm instantly in a foul mood due to the weather being so gross. Either too hot and humid, rainy, snowy, or too cold. I get it some people like the seasons but for me personally I'll take waking up to 75 and sunny with no humidity over the seasons any day of the week. From Cali you're always a drive away from all the seasons you crave. Snow is best experienced as a short ski vacation not buried in it for 6 months. Plus, Indont think Cali property taxes are anywhere near as ridiculous as NY's. I do agree about the immigration on both sides, however.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:14 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
Just remember that in California you will have the pleasure of years of drought, annual fires throughout the mountains, legendary traffic jambs and housing costs that are driving out the residents California's high housing costs drive out poor, middle-income workers - LA Times.

Of course you can surf and ski in the same day and if you don't like the hilltop view of your home just wait for the next earthquake when your house gets moved into the valley... enjoy.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,402 times
"There are no fast growing parts of the country these days. This isn't the 80s."

I disagree. I'm in the Raleigh/durham area right now and it is exploding down here. The town I live in is made up of a considerable amount of what southerner's call "relocated Yankees". That's me. There are new neighborhoods popping up everywhere, jobs galore, cost of living is super low. We've also seen an expansion to surrounding areas- places that were literally rural 9 or 10 years ago (cows and barns) that are now full of new homes, shopping plaza's, restaurants etc.. Houses are selling sometimes as quickly as 24 hours after being posted for sale.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:10 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy220 View Post
"There are no fast growing parts of the country these days. This isn't the 80s."

I disagree. I'm in the Raleigh/durham area right now and it is exploding down here. The town I live in is made up of a considerable amount of what southerner's call "relocated Yankees". That's me. There are new neighborhoods popping up everywhere, jobs galore, cost of living is super low. We've also seen an expansion to surrounding areas- places that were literally rural 9 or 10 years ago (cows and barns) that are now full of new homes, shopping plaza's, restaurants etc.. Houses are selling sometimes as quickly as 24 hours after being posted for sale.
Is the cost of living actually "super low"? I only ask because the overall COL in that area is on par with Upstate NY areas, give or take. It seems like you just get hit in the pocket in different ways.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:17 PM

284 posts, read 269,573 times
Quote:

YES! I've heard this about the Carolinas as a whole and am planning on moving to SC the end of next year/ beginning of the year after. Everyone is moving there, thus, the need for many more jobs.

Old 09-25-2016, 02:24 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,547,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is the cost of living actually "super low"? I only ask because the overall COL in that area is on par with Upstate NY areas, give or take. It seems like you just get hit in the pocket in different ways.
Well on a micro level I can tell you from personal experience that groceries are more expensive in the Carolinas. It was the same way in Louisiana.

I have no idea why but food is cheaper in upstate NY.

Old 09-25-2016, 03:44 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
" We've also seen an expansion to surrounding areas- places that were literally rural 9 or 10 years ago (cows and barns) that are now full of new homes, shopping plaza's, restaurants etc..
That's cool. Insread of getting some fresh milk you can buy weeks old milk from who knows where from the former farmers's daughter at the Walmart that sits where the barn was.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:19 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
That's ok development of surrounding farms usually mean growth and development of an area, beats a main street with vacant stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York