Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 10:43 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
All you can do is what the NEWS, which is ENTERTAINMENT and not necessarily FACTUAL.

I don't need to watch the news, if I want to learn about a place in depth I can actually go there.

You're the one whose out of touch with reality. You're an angry old fool who is bitter and doesn't have a life. All you could do was leave a crappy town in upstate NY for another dump in the South, and you have no real prospects of seeing the world outside of that.
I'm quite happy in my life, educated, well travelled and not trying to overcome growing up in a tar paper shack down a dirt road the way some posters on here are. Seeing you don't believe in watching the news why don't you travel to North Korea, have a good time and don't forget to post your experiences. Remember to take souvenirs... Bless you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 11:01 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I'm quite happy in my life, educated, well travelled and not trying to overcome growing up in a tar paper shack down a dirt road the way some posters on here are. Seeing you don't believe in watching the news why don't you travel to North Korea, have a good time and don't forget to post your experiences. Remember to take souvenirs... Bless you
I have no interest in North Korea. But I have been to Brazil, Paraguay, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, and Mexico (I speak Spanish), and at some point I will go to China (learning Chinese now).

And yes by learning the languages AND by going to the countries I learn far more than what I could on the evening news. But I can say the same for learning about the different states I have been to in the US, including California.

"Is the media negative? Media studies show that bad news far outweighs good news by as much as seventeen negative news reports for every one good news report. Why? The answer may lie in the work of evolutionary psychologists and neuroscientists. Humans seek out news of dramatic, negative events. These experts say that our brains evolved in a hunter-gatherer environment where anything novel or dramatic had to be attended to immediately for survival. So while we no longer defend ourselves against saber-toothed tigers, our brains have not caught up.

Many studies have shown that we care more about the threat of bad things than we do about the prospect of good things. Our negative brain tripwires are far more sensitive than our positive triggers. We tend to get more fearful than happy. And each time we experience fear we turn on our stress hormones."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...more-good-news

Old 09-29-2016, 06:03 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
/\

Regardless of your experiences or travels when you see live pictures of a disaster as it is occurring that's reality and all the psycho babble really doesn't matter.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:58 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,984,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
/\

Regardless of your experiences or travels when you see live pictures of a disaster as it is occurring that's reality and all the psycho babble really doesn't matter.
Even there no. Live pictures of a disaster is one moment of time that doesn't reflect the ongoing life of what's happening in that place. Sept 11th was horrible, but if that is all you know of NYC then you know very little. (just an example).

Go to these people and interact with me THEN we'll talk.

Learn more about California than what's put on the evening news and THEN we'll talk about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York