Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 01:25 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Just remember that in California you will have the pleasure of years of drought, annual fires throughout the mountains, legendary traffic jambs and housing costs that are driving out the residents California's high housing costs drive out poor, middle-income workers - LA Times.

Of course you can surf and ski in the same day and if you don't like the hilltop view of your home just wait for the next earthquake when your house gets moved into the valley... enjoy.
Nobody in California worries about drought.

If need be, they can simply desalinize ocean water and a number of places to do that. Unless you particularly live in a mountain range with fires, they don't effect you . California public transportation better than the nation as a whole except for Northeast, and young people tend to use Uber and Lyft.

It sounds like all you know is what you heard on the news, meaning you know nothing about California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDot View Post
That is true. But it's a new economy now and almost impossible to find a job remotely. At least I found that in my case. I'm moving to California in November and would have preferred to find a job there before I move, but it is extremely difficult since most companies prefer local candidates and the times of "flying interview candidates out" are long over.

So, I will still move in November even without a job. If I wait to get a job first, I'll be stuck in this miserable state for another miserable winter. Uh, no.
Part of the problem is people claim they are going to move and don't, so the only way to know if the person is serious is to meet them in person.

Old 09-27-2016, 02:11 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

If need be, they can simply desalinize ocean water and a number of places to do that. Unless you particularly live in a mountain range with fires, they don't effect you . California public transportation better than the nation as a whole except for Northeast, and young people tend to use Uber and Lyft.

It sounds like all you know is what you heard on the news, meaning you know nothing about California.
Glad to see your out from under your rock again it's a shame you haven't followed what has been occurring out there. Nobody may worry about the drought but the states industries do as well as more people than you think. California's Drought - California is entering the fourth year of a record-breaking drought - Pictures - CBS News

Simple?? Desalinization is not cheap and municipalities are not eager to invest in such a costly technology. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/01/bu...lity.html?_r=0

Your right Fires don't affect lives just those who don't live along the beach ... Hundreds of millions in damage estimated in California fire | Fox News

Their public transportation may be exceptional but their traffic jams are legendary.....

So it would appear that you never got past the tourist stop at Hollywood and Vine, I guess everything looks good through your ruby glasses. Why don't you read a newspaper and get current on what's going on..

Old 09-27-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Glad to see your out from under your rock again it's a shame you haven't followed what has been occurring out there. Nobody may worry about the drought but the states industries do as well as more people than you think. California's Drought - California is entering the fourth year of a record-breaking drought - Pictures - CBS News

Simple?? Desalinization is not cheap and municipalities are not eager to invest in such a costly technology. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/01/bu...lity.html?_r=0

Your right Fires don't affect lives just those who don't live along the beach ... Hundreds of millions in damage estimated in California fire | Fox News

Their public transportation may be exceptional but their traffic jams are legendary.....

So it would appear that you never got past the tourist stop at Hollywood and Vine, I guess everything looks good through your ruby glasses. Why don't you read a newspaper and get current on what's going on..
Actually I've been all over LA and I've worked in LA. Hollywood and Vine is not a place I hang out in. Most of LA is not in the mountains and is not effected by fire.

Most of California does not actually worry about the drought, and none of the major industries are leaving.

And a number of municipalities already use desalinization.

Newspaper articles love to write the sky is falling articles, but if your only understanding of a place is newspaper articles, then you know absolutely nothing about a place.

I've been in and worked in California enough times not to need to read internet links on it, so don't think you're proven ANYTHING by posting them.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:44 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Actually I've been all over LA and I've worked in LA. Hollywood and Vine is not a place I hang out in. Most of LA is not in the mountains and is not effected by fire.

Most of California does not actually worry about the drought, and none of the major industries are leaving.

And a number of municipalities already use desalinization.

Newspaper articles love to write the sky is falling articles, but if your only understanding of a place is newspaper articles, then you know absolutely nothing about a place.

I've been in and worked in California enough times not to need to read internet links on it, so don't think you're proven ANYTHING by posting them.

Your not the only one who lived in la la land, reading your post now makes me laugh, watching the national news tonight they showed a beautiful scene of California as it burned stating "Triple-Digit Temperatures and Record Fires Sweep Parts of California
Tue, Sep 27 · Clip 4 of 7

There are at least 10 wildfires currently burning across California. The fires are being fueled by strong winds and bone-dry conditions brought on by a 5-year-drought, plus a brutal heat wave."

http://www.nbcnews.com/.../triple-di...-774337603837-

But heck what do they know, most people don't care according to you, water is plentiful and cities have no traffic woes because all the millennial are using Uber and public transit. You are out of touch with reality, the state is burning, going broke, electrical shortages, water shortages and some of the largest traffic jams in the country but none of that is factual because you say otherwise.......

Old 09-28-2016, 06:52 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,006,511 times
Quote:

Nobody in CA worries about drought because they all live in their own bubble. You can't take the water from the ocean and desalinate it because it is very very expensive...something Californians know all too much about

Old 09-28-2016, 10:17 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:

If need be, they can simply desalinize ocean water and a number of places to do that.
Then why aren't they doing that instead of destroying 1/4 of the continental landmass' watershed?

Old 09-29-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Your not the only one who lived in la la land, reading your post now makes me laugh, watching the national news tonight they showed a beautiful scene of California as it burned stating "Triple-Digit Temperatures and Record Fires Sweep Parts of California
Tue, Sep 27 · Clip 4 of 7

There are at least 10 wildfires currently burning across California. The fires are being fueled by strong winds and bone-dry conditions brought on by a 5-year-drought, plus a brutal heat wave."

http://www.nbcnews.com/.../triple-di...-774337603837-

But heck what do they know, most people don't care according to you, water is plentiful and cities have no traffic woes because all the millennial are using Uber and public transit. You are out of touch with reality, the state is burning, going broke, electrical shortages, water shortages and some of the largest traffic jams in the country but none of that is factual because you say otherwise.......
All you can do is what the NEWS, which is ENTERTAINMENT and not necessarily FACTUAL.

I don't need to watch the news, if I want to learn about a place in depth I can actually go there.

You're the one whose out of touch with reality. You're an angry old fool who is bitter and doesn't have a life. All you could do was leave a crappy town in upstate NY for another dump in the South, and you have no real prospects of seeing the world outside of that.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Nobody in CA worries about drought because they all live in their own bubble. You can't take the water from the ocean and desalinate it because it is very very expensive...something Californians know all too much about
Israel takes the majority of it's water from the ocean these days and desalinizes it for drinking water, ditto for other middle eastern countries. And yes Israeli companies are involved in the expansion of desalinization in California.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Then why aren't they doing that instead of destroying 1/4 of the continental landmass' watershed?
Some municipalities are already doing that, and others have their desalinization plants under construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York