Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 08:21 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times

Advertisements

I think it's easy to throw out anecdotes and stereotypes, but women tend to have much stronger social networks and support for one another than men do, which is a big reason we usually live longer. Women who don't have any female friends because they "don't like drama" simply don't like women, and they were probably taught from a young age that women are catty manstealers and should be avoided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 09:03 AM

983 posts, read 995,187 times
I have worked in healthcare for a very long time too. Plus, I've seen these "mean girl" threads on C-D for a long time. No, it's not just the OP with the problem. The problem is us.

I think this goes back into how we are raising our daughters. Are we providing a good example to them, or are we teaching them the very cattiness we compain about? Part of raising a child is not just feeding, clothing, and sheltering, it's teaching them to be a happy, productive citizen in society.

Women have been in the kitchen for thousands of years, and it's been just four decades or so since a significant number of women have been in the workforce. Women want to be CEOs, in combat roles in the military, hold the office of President of the United States? Well, it's time to start acting like it. A board of directors meeting can't be turned into a gossip fest, a three women in a bunker during war can't start gossiping and exluding the third, a cabinet meeting in the White House can't turn into a catfest. (I'm not talking about Mrs. Clinton either, but any woman who wants to be president.) If we can't be good citizens in the workplace, in war, in the highest political office, then we went wrong somewhere.

Think about how our little girls are being raised. How are they getting along with friends who come over to play? Talk to teachers, are they behaving like a good citizen in school? How are they behaving to people in their teen years?

And yes, I know guys can be jerks too. I guess it comes down to good parenting, and having good role models.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:48 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
I'm wondering what age group they're in? I've found a lot of the young women I've had to endure at work were catty, mean, lazy, and entitled. Most of them were annoying to the point that I didn't talk to them unless it was work related. The older women were nice, worked hard and fun to be with which baffles me about the younger ones because it's my generation that raised these rectums.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:06 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,669 times
My girlfriend works in a call center that employes mostly women. I always ask her why she isn't close friends with any of them, and basically she says she doesn't trust them. She's nice with them, and they are nice with her, but outside of work friendship relationship would be a disaster. The women there in the past have told on others to their bosses about outside of work activities, and in some cases this has gotten them fired. No loyalty in terms of what a friendship means.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:09 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I think it's easy to throw out anecdotes and stereotypes, but women tend to have much stronger social networks and support for one another than men do, which is a big reason we usually live longer. Women who don't have any female friends because they "don't like drama" simply don't like women, and they were probably taught from a young age that women are catty manstealers and should be avoided.
I don't think this is the case anymore like it used to be, especially those women who are career driven, and thats more and more these days.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:52 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
I don't think this is the case anymore like it used to be, especially those women who are career driven, and thats more and more these days.
I don't know. It seems like the typical criticism of "career-driven" women is that they are are unfeminine by being direct, bossy, assertive, dominant, etc., whereas the OP and others seem to think that malice and spite are feminine traits.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:18 PM

56 posts, read 68,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I'm wondering what age group they're in? I've found a lot of the young women I've had to endure at work were catty, mean, lazy, and entitled. Most of them were annoying to the point that I didn't talk to them unless it was work related. The older women were nice, worked hard and fun to be with which baffles me about the younger ones because it's my generation that raised these rectums.
Sadly this has been my experience as well although I haven't worked in the health care field I am at 29 a millennial and even I look at women my age and younger and shake my head.

I used to work several jobs back to back with mostly/all women and though I have a great job now working mostly with/for men I would sooner get a job at McDonald's before having to work for a mostly/all female office or the sort again.

I've always been different though, when I was young probably around 12 or so I asked my dad why my mother was always crying and he replied "That's just how broads are" LOL thanks dad!

Yeah men can certainly have their problems as well but I certainly find it a lot easier to deal with. I'm sure there are great women out there that are quite capable of keeping their emotions in check and seperating business/personal life but I haven't found one yet and am not going to take a chance I do. My last female boss needed a daily dose of Prozac I swear.

Anyway, I agree with your assessment of, sadly women in my age group and younger, when I worked in female-dominated business/office 90% of the time I kept thinking "Please. shut. up!".

Honestly it kind of scares me thinking about getting a female president.

No offense to other women like me that aren't at all like what I described it may not be every younger women but it sure as hell is a lot. I don't know why but women+hierarchy=disaster.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:28 PM

371 posts, read 637,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy739 View Post
Generally speaking, if a man wants to hurt you, he will be quick about it. A mean woman could wait years to hurt you for something you never did.
This!

I've been privileged to work with some fantastic women who were professional and straightforward. But I've also worked with women who pretended to be friendly for a couple of years only to turn right around and start bullying me badly.

No doubt there are women who don't have female friends out of some competition issue, but there are also many women who don't have female friends because they've been burned too much in the past. I do have some female friends, but I've learned to be skittish about releasing personal information to women I haven't know long because my experience has been that at any time, they can turn it all against me and become the worst gossips.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:42 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
In my early 20s I worked in the stockroom of a large organization and the only way to advance was working in an open office - no cubicles - of women; about 50 of them. A lot of men said it must have been great.

I saw so many miserable and insane women I dislike most today for the reason. I saw women bully each other until they broke out into shouting matches and then fighting as in the halls at HS. They especially picked on the ones who made it known they were seeing a psychiatrist on a regular basis for some various reason. Probably for being locked in a room with 50 other stark raving mad cows.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:53 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariez149 View Post
Sadly this has been my experience as well although I haven't worked in the health care field I am at 29 a millennial and even I look at women my age and younger and shake my head.

I used to work several jobs back to back with mostly/all women and though I have a great job now working mostly with/for men I would sooner get a job at McDonald's before having to work for a mostly/all female office or the sort again.

I've always been different though, when I was young probably around 12 or so I asked my dad why my mother was always crying and he replied "That's just how broads are" LOL thanks dad!

Yeah men can certainly have their problems as well but I certainly find it a lot easier to deal with. I'm sure there are great women out there that are quite capable of keeping their emotions in check and seperating business/personal life but I haven't found one yet and am not going to take a chance I do. My last female boss needed a daily dose of Prozac I swear.

Anyway, I agree with your assessment of, sadly women in my age group and younger, when I worked in female-dominated business/office 90% of the time I kept thinking "Please. shut. up!".

Honestly it kind of scares me thinking about getting a female president.

No offense to other women like me that aren't at all like what I described it may not be every younger women but it sure as hell is a lot. I don't know why but women+hierarchy=disaster.
There have been many women presidents and prime ministers around the world. It seems you have a very narrow worldview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships