Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2014, 12:23 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,763,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
I personally am not that impressed with Rainbow Drive in enough to recommend anybody giving it a second try to find it. But if you must...

Once you turn left onto Kapahulu from waikiki you will pass the first gas station on your right. Their gas prices are actually not as bad as other places. I tend to fill up here if I don't want to drive to Costco. Anyway, once you pass the gas station, just keep your eyes peeled to the right and drive slow. When you see the next gas station, Rainbow is immediately before it and you goot crank your neck to the right to catch it. The sign isn't all that big. It's outdoor seating, so I would recommend getting it to go unless you are comfortable in the heat.

TGPILOT - I wonder, were you and your group walking up by Diamond Head last night?
I agree rainbows isnt the best grindz in town but there sticky rice and chili and loco moco is to die for. But stuff like K pig and lomi lomi, poi i would goto Ono Hawai'ian Foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 12:24 PM

FoodTube.net, Hawaiian, Ono Hawaiian Foods, Honolulu, HI - YouTube

Old 09-10-2014, 01:17 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,875,122 times
Aloha TGPILOT, Check out Beachwalk, a couple blocks Diamond Head of you. Dennys on the corner if you're homesick but up the street on the second floor is Cheeseburger Waikiki. Happy hour $3 drinks & pupus at 3 then $4 @4 & 5@5. I go for the Big Wave & kalua pork quesadilla & the mini burger w/fries. They even have mini corn dogs. Tell Michael the bartender you know Scruffy, the dog that comes in. Second time I came in when he was bartending he asks if I want the usual! He takes care of locals & tourists.

Also on Saratoga just across from the post office there's a little walkway along eggs & things that leads to Arnolds the last tiki bar in Waikiki. Local musicians at nite and a good time for all. Let's support old Waikiki while it's here instead of bitchin when it's gone.
Cheeseburger Waikiki also has a $5.99 breakfast.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:43 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,818,921 times
I agree that the Rainbow Drive-In is nothing special unless you are comparing it to McDonald's or Burger King. It's cheap and fast.

I love Ono Hawaiian Foods! For Hawaiian food, it's my favorite. Just make sure you are REALLY hungry before you go there because they give you LOTS of food!
Here's a pic of my wife and her niece during one of our visits to Ono Hawaiian Foods.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...u-img_0907.jpg

Old 09-10-2014, 08:57 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,303,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Aloha TGPILOT, Check out Beachwalk, a couple blocks Diamond Head of you. Dennys on the corner if you're homesick but up the street on the second floor is Cheeseburger Waikiki. Happy hour $3 drinks & pupus at 3 then $4 @4 & 5@5. I go for the Big Wave & kalua pork quesadilla & the mini burger w/fries. They even have mini corn dogs. Tell Michael the bartender you know Scruffy, the dog that comes in. Second time I came in when he was bartending he asks if I want the usual! He takes care of locals & tourists.

Also on Saratoga just across from the post office there's a little walkway along eggs & things that leads to Arnolds the last tiki bar in Waikiki. Local musicians at nite and a good time for all. Let's support old Waikiki while it's here instead of bitchin when it's gone.
Cheeseburger Waikiki also has a $5.99 breakfast.
I never had a bad meal at Arancino on Beachwalk.... The pizza is addictive.

Arancino on Beachwalk - Waikiki - Honolulu, HI | Yelp

Old 09-10-2014, 09:37 PM

293 posts, read 362,128 times
Thanks for the ideas guys. That is a lot of food Frosty....LOL. Went to Hilo Hattie's today and then went around the corner to Koala Moa for lunch. Not as good as the Lahina chicken at the mall. That was a good meal.

Took off the rest of the day and as the kids say "Just chilled"....LOL. Tomorrow the Zoo and back to Wally world.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:53 PM

Hey HBH, my biggest complaint so far from 50 years ago is that now you can take a long nap waiting on the red lights to change. In fact, you could probably take two in the time it takes. I think I aged a couple of years waiting on the one near my hotel. Bet Viper and OpenD are really laid back now waiting on them.

Went to the Aquarium this morning and then Wally World. Resting up for a walk on the beach after while and the big luau tonight here at the hotel. Two luau's in one week means I may be a fat boy going home.....lol.

Any thoughts on these evening dinner cruise's? Thought I might try one and which is better or worse than the other? Thought I would take my daughter to the zoo tomorrow. She and I will have a birthday later this month before we leave, so will have to find something for her.

Hope you guys are all doing well today. Frosty and the rest must still be asleep.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:38 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,818,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPILOT View Post
Any thoughts on these evening dinner cruise's? Thought I might try one and which is better or worse than the other?

Thought I would take my daughter to the zoo tomorrow. She and I will have a birthday later this month before we leave, so will have to find something for her.
I'm not a huge fan of the dinner cruises but other people we have taken on them really enjoyed their time. I've been on two different ones in Waikiki. The Royal Sunset Dinner Cruise on the Navatek I and the Ali'i Kai Dinner Cruise. I enjoyed the first one more. The food was much better. If you go on a Friday you also get to see the fireworks. To me, the Ali'i Kai seemed like a bad luau on the water. There is another one that I know of but haven't done and it's called the Star of Honolulu.

Royal Sunset Dinner Cruise

It would help to know the age of your daughter to be able to make some suggestions for her birthday.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:05 AM

@TGPILOT

Yes please, what age is your daughter?

Old 09-12-2014, 12:29 AM

Hey guys thanks. She will be four on the 19th and mine is the next day. We just got back early from the luau here at the hotel. It was so, so. Don't think I would go back. The one at the Poly ctr. was great. That one I would go back to.

I really appreciate you guys helping me with things to do. It made a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu