Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2014, 12:28 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Hawaii in general isn't known for shellfish. Think about it - what shellfish do you crave from Hawaii? Just isn't the right geography.
Ever had Opihi? Oh addicting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 12:56 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Ever had Opihi? Oh addicting.
Not exactly something you'll typically find a menu in Hawaii.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:53 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,039 times
I still cringe when we hit up a fast food place and pay $20 for two people. Over time we have found places with much healthier food for about the same price. Not very helpful to TGPILOT at this point though.

The Ala Moana Shopping center is walking distance from your hotel, 5-10 min. Easy drive from your hotel. If you take the second ramp into the parking structure it drops you right near the downstairs food court area. LOTS of food choices in there. There are two starbucks in there, about $.80 less per drink than the one at the Hilton. The Waikiki Starbucks prices are crazy. The mall itself if great for all the shops as well as people watching.

Rainbow Drive-In is 'ok', but there are two places on Kapahulu I would recommend if you want some really good food:
Uncle Bo's - Spendy, but VERY good food. You have to get there early.
559 Kapahulu Ave, Honolulu, HI 96815
Link

Yakitori Glad - Everything on the menu is $3.90, small beer, large beer, same price.
766 Kapahulu Ave.Honolulu Hawaii 96816
Link

Have fun at the PCC tonight!

Old 09-08-2014, 01:15 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPILOT View Post
Thanks HBH, yeah, their in house menu was a lot higher than what was on their flyers in the books. Went to Micky D's that day out past Diamond Head and that was $23.00 and some change. We were way out of Waikiki. Like you guys said, it's expensive here now.
If you are looking for a cheap meal close to Waikiki, I'd suggest you walk to the Regal Diner in McCully Center just outside of Waikiki. From Hale Koa it's about 3/4 of a mile and would take you 10 to 15 minutes to walk there.

Most Plate lunch/dinners run $7 to $9. You can get a breakfast of an omlete with 2 pancakes for $7.

It's not high quality food. But it is a reasonable price and close to Waikiki. I have not stopped there for quite a long time but have occassionaly stopped there.

Here is a link to their menu (starts with catering, so scroll down):

http://regalfoodsusa.com/wp-content/.../Take-out2.pdf

Old 09-09-2014, 03:02 AM

293 posts, read 361,647 times
Hey all, just got in and I'm beat. I kick myself now because I didn't get on the ole treadmill a few months and get in shape for all this. Instead I was a major couch potato. Went to the Poly Ctr today and spent all day there.......long day it was. Tomorrow early, the Arizona Memorial if I survive. Later all...........

Old 09-10-2014, 01:21 AM

293 posts, read 361,647 times
Hey HBH, went to the Arizona Memorial this morning. Been fifty years since I last set foot on her. Myself and a navy vet went back into the memorial wall and came to attention and saluted our fallen comrades in a moment of silence. Felt good to pay them honor.

You guys are sure silent here today, must have worn you all out...LOL. Frosty, tried to find the Rainbow yesterday, GPS kept trying to go in circles. Guess it was lost too.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Hey HBH, went to the Arizona Memorial this morning. Been fifty years since I last set foot on her. Myself and a navy vet went back into the memorial wall and came to attention and saluted our fallen comrades in a moment of silence. Felt good to pay them honor.

You guys are sure silent here today, must have worn you all out...LOL. Frosty, tried to find the Rainbow yesterday, GPS kept trying to go in circles. Guess it was lost too.
I understand being a navy vet myself. The Battleship Missouri and the Pacific Aviation Museum are all new and wasn't there in the 70s. Mighty Mo must of been a sight? Hope you really enjoyed it?

So whats on your plans for today? Naw we no stinkin tired lol.

Since your staying in Waikiki, to get to Rainbows Drive In just find Kalakaua Ave follow it heading to Kapahulu Ave. Turn left on Kapahulu Ave follow kapahulu until you hit Kanaina Ave, then turn right onto Kanaina Ave. You should see rainbows on your left.

If rainbows not your style?

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 09-10-2014 at 10:51 AM..

Old 09-10-2014, 10:53 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,252 times
Quote:
Sure, but going in a straight line on an Island for too long does tend to have it's drawbacks.

Glub, glub, glub, uuuurrrrpppp

Old 09-10-2014, 11:00 AM

@TGPILOT

Cont from my last post:

then stay on Kapahulu and follow it, you will hit uncle bo's, zippys, side street inn and ono hawaiian foods(a must for best athentic hawaiian foods). If you keep following Kapahulu you will run into Genki Sushi and Leonards Bakery (best malasadas)

Let us know if you need help etc uncle?

Old 09-10-2014, 12:03 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,039 times
I personally am not that impressed with Rainbow Drive in enough to recommend anybody giving it a second try to find it. But if you must...

Once you turn left onto Kapahulu from waikiki you will pass the first gas station on your right. Their gas prices are actually not as bad as other places. I tend to fill up here if I don't want to drive to Costco. Anyway, once you pass the gas station, just keep your eyes peeled to the right and drive slow. When you see the next gas station, Rainbow is immediately before it and you goot crank your neck to the right to catch it. The sign isn't all that big. It's outdoor seating, so I would recommend getting it to go unless you are comfortable in the heat.

TGPILOT - I wonder, were you and your group walking up by Diamond Head last night?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu