Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2017, 08:20 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,152,312 times

Advertisements

I still remember an issue of Mad magazine I read as a kid in the '80s, which said, "If there really is an afterlife, I'll bet the best way to contact it is through a plastic, mass-produced board game from Milton Bradley!"

I'm very lucky to have read a lot of Mad magazine in my youth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 09:01 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,077,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Wait, you're a Christian? That means that you're pretty sure there's exactly one god, right? Don't you realize that believing in the other evil spirits that can supposedly be summoned by the Ouija board is idolatry?

Theology fail.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:34 PM

389 posts, read 422,884 times
I had one as a kid, and it was just goofy fun. However, in my early 20's, there was a movie about a Ouija board, and it creeped me out. I had nightmares about that movie for weeks after, so I never wanted to touch one again. Kind of along the lines of a creepy clown in a movie makes me not want to see clowns hanging around. So no to Ouija boards in our house, even though I still think someone was always moving the piece.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:06 PM

509 posts, read 486,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion777 View Post
I'm "rude & obnoxious" because I called you out on your ignorance? (I learnt my manners from my preacher father & Scripture teacher mother, thanks for asking) Bit of a drama queen then are we?

Your opinion is typical of those who can't consider any possibility outside of their own limited experience.
If you don't like to have your ignorance exposed for all to see, then maybe you should heed my grandfathers advice; "It's better to have others think that you're ignorant, than to open your mouth & remove all doubt."
Took you all day to get up the nerve to reply, eh?

Your preacher father and Scripture teacher mother obviously did a poor job of teaching you manners. What did they do? Beat you or something? What makes you such an angry person?

I answered the OP (who does not seem to believe in ouija boards either) with a very sensible reply. I told him kids get interested in them for awhile and then lose interest.

That is accurate and is an attack on nobody. You came out of nowhere and attacked me for it, teling me what personal experiences I haven't had and calling me "ignorant" multiple times. Now you call me a "drama queen", yet I started no drama; you did, O Beatific One.

How in God's holy name would you know what my experiences are? You don't know me from Adam.

So how about dropping the "ignorant" crap? I could just as easily and with more justification call you ignorant, for thinking you know anything about me.

If you disagree with my post, why not say so nicely? Like "Perhaps you haven't considered all the possibilities...let me tell you a story" That would be polite.

I am entitled to my opinion just as anyone is, and don't need to be harassed over an opinion that harms nobody.

Your personal attacks are a breach of the forum's terms of service. So, do yourself a favor and stop opening your mouth and calling me ignorant over a very innocuous and reasonable post. Lest you "remove all doubt."

Nitwit. Go talk to the dead and leave me alone.

Last edited by Maliblue; 03-06-2017 at 10:30 PM..

Old 03-06-2017, 10:48 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,422,697 times
I am a Christian. Don't go to church EVERY Sunday but a believer. I played with one and knew I shouldn't (I was 13 and now 45) and what I believe it did was invite a spirit into my life. Just a small wave to come in. Bizarre things have happened in my life. They scare me, she did the right thing. For non-believers...probably won't affect you.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:28 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,713,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
I've been trying to get Satan to talk to me for weeks with this damn thing and it isn't working.

Suggestions?
Prime the pump with drugs and debauchery. There's nothing like hot nookie to pique Satan's interest. Sex is bad, 'mKay? I saw it on South Park, so it must be true. I saw Jesus there too. Satan and Jesus are buddies who go on talk shows together. When he's not working, Satan hangs out in church. Take the Ouija board to a church at midnight with a couple hookers, make some noise because Satan would probably be sleeping, and give it a try.

Take cookies and milk. Oh wait, that's Santa.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:13 AM

18,543 posts, read 18,794,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
We played with Ouija boards when I was a kid in the 60's and 70's with no ill consequences, other than scaring ourselves. We also had seances to speak to the dead, but as far as I know, no communication was ever achieved.

I wouldn't care if my daughter had played with one.
You should.. they were banned as toys in the UK many years ago.. be very careful.... I remember a so called friend of mine many years ago asking me if she could do one in my house as in a girls night out, I said to her "why not your own house?".... she said .."Oh my tables not large enough for us to sit round".... I declined . and this is why. http://www.ghostresearch.org/articles/ouija.html

Old 03-07-2017, 03:15 AM

18,543 posts, read 18,794,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
I am a Christian. Don't go to church EVERY Sunday but a believer. I played with one and knew I shouldn't (I was 13 and now 45) and what I believe it did was invite a spirit into my life. Just a small wave to come in. Bizarre things have happened in my life. They scare me, she did the right thing. For non-believers...probably won't affect you.
Ive heard many stories from the past about this boards and what they can bring out.. no thanks

Old 03-07-2017, 04:53 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,422,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post

So it seems the trick is not to believe. Don't have faith in a board game because then you give it power. Play it for fun and you won't have a problem.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:17 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,929,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I would.

In my day, we would cut the head off a goose and let it flap around the yard. whichever direction it landed dead, we would watch the sky and interpret the flight patterns of birds.

Otherwise, we would cut chips from the branch of a birch tree and inscribe runes thereon. We would prick our fingers and stain the runes with blood before casting them upon a cloth to reveal their secrets.

Some piece of plastic crap from Milton-Bradley that you buy at Toys 'R' Us? You must be joking.
Brilliant. And what that had to do with anything we will never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting