Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 09:46 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times

Advertisements

Chores like loading & emptying the dishwasher are fine when kids are younger and eating all their meals at home with the family. But teenagers, especially if they're working, usually have different schedules and don't eat with the family regularly.
In their high school teenage years, I made our kids do their own laundry, clean up their own kitchen messes and of course their own rooms. They weren't allowed to leave the bathroom a mess or leave their stuff cluttering the house. If possible, they helped with special things like raking leaves. But I eased up on the regular stuff like vacuuming because they were hardly ever home and had so many other responsibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 10:01 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,385,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedparent1 View Post
... Shes 16
She is 16. You never had an attitude when you were 16??!! I think it is normal behavior for a teenager. One moment we are telling them to grow up, the next minute we are telling them, "What do you think you are an adult now?" Or we tell them to stop acting like a baby. Confusing time for all. And yes, having an attitude means they are growing up, spreading their wings. They just have to learn how to spread their wings--it takes time.

They are not children, nor adults. It is a tough stage for everyone. Cut some slack and try just sitting down and communicating <--not easy for a teenage, at least try to acknowledge their hormonal roller coaster.

I didn't give my sons' "chores"--I just said we were dividing up things that needed to be done for our home. Just part of being a family--everyone helps out.

She goes to school and works--good for her.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:06 AM

7,334 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
She goes to school and works--good for her.
Not working now. Since her mother refused to drive her 9 miles to work, she was fired.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:08 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
If you agreed to be her mode of transportation, taking that away is not good parenting, and not an appropriate punishment for a bad attitude.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-30-2019, 11:11 AM

47 posts, read 19,811 times
Well, I think I'm in the clear.

She apologized to me for freaking out and slamming doors, says she shouldn't have done it.

she has been doing all two of her chores, AND EATING DINNER WITH US every night, like always. ...

and now she asked for a ride to her boyfriends house this week, which I agreed ...

Seems like a punishment changed the behavior ... not sure what all the hoopla is about just "having talks" ???

We do talk, at dinner, and all the time around the house .... not sure why I need to have these weird "sit down pillow talks" every time they get in trouble, when a simple punishment for the crime seems to do ... ?

Old 10-30-2019, 11:49 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,622 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If you agreed to be her mode of transportation, taking that away is not good parenting, and not an appropriate punishment for a bad attitude.
I agree. It's like taking away the textbooks because the kid left his backpack on the floor instead of putting it away.

Now, the next time she applies for a job she'll either have to lie about her job history, or will have to say she was fired the first week for failing to show up.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:50 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,385,476 times
Quote:
Whelp nope, she'll be moving out the day she turns 18, or sooner.

She can see how slamming doors, screaming, yelling, freaking out works out for her in real life.
I am sure you were the perfect teenager and never did any of that

Quote:
.... not sure why I need to have these weird "sit down pillow talks" every time they get in trouble, when a simple punishment for the crime seems to do ... ?
Because she is on her way to becoming an adult. Talks help to learn proper behavior and build trust.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:52 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,873,703 times
Quote:

She apologized to me for freaking out and slamming doors, says she shouldn't have done it.

she has been doing all two of her chores, AND EATING DINNER WITH US every night, like always.
Well, you vanquished the enemy! Now she's going to a big red mark in her job history. Don't twist your arm patting yourself on the back now.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:16 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,072,689 times
The goof here was causing her to get fired from her job. You knew if she accepted a job 9 miles away, someone would need to transport her. On the day she got the job this should have been discussed (and she could have quit immediately) and worked out. In reality, she will probably just leave this job off her future applications, but learning to deal with the responsibilities that come with employment is a more worthwhile skill than putting away dishes, IMO.

More likely than punishment "changed her behavior" is that, like any other human, their attitude and feelings cycle. Granted there are limits, but I always find it interesting that parents expect their children to always be chipper. I have co-workers, friends, family members, and bosses who have bad days (or weeks) and I have to adjust how I interact with them. Then there are days when I am in a bad mood and I think back "I'm glad people cut me some slack that day."

Quote:

she has been doing all two of her chores, AND EATING DINNER WITH US every night, like always. ...

and now she asked for a ride to her boyfriends house this week, which I agreed ...

Seems like a punishment changed the behavior ... not sure what all the hoopla is about just "having talks" ???

We do talk, at dinner, and all the time around the house .... not sure why I need to have these weird "sit down pillow talks" every time they get in trouble, when a simple punishment for the crime seems to do ... ?

Old 10-30-2019, 01:39 PM

47 posts, read 19,811 times
[quote=GiGi603;56526424]I am sure you were the perfect teenager and never did any of that

I did, then got punished, then stopped doing it.. worked like a charm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting