Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 01:03 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,360,627 times

Advertisements

"I'm gonna make Attila the Hun look like a ******!" (Frank Rizzo, 1975)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 01:04 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,886,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I agree. I’m often embarrassed when I read Sandy’s measured and thoughtful posts after weighing in myself.

It’s good we have at least one person classing up the joint.
Haha!

Old 06-01-2020, 01:13 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,277,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
My biggest problem with Rizzo was how he seemed to not notice the decline in our life's blood: manufactoring. And, as I said, the out migration from the city picked up steam while he was mayor. For those 2 reasons it baffles what so much of the Rizzo love is about.
On CD, one of the things I’ve noticed is that most posters in love with him are white males (in as far as I know individual poster’s race and gender). The poster you quoted cares enough about the late mayor’s legacy that he posted from all the way out in Denver. That’s reverence!

I’ve not seen a great deal of love for Rizzo by POCs on CD. But this is a tiny sampling of the overall populous. Are you aware of many AAs who look back on Rizzo fondly? Most of the whites I know are not big fans, but you know: birds of a feather, and all that.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:15 PM

712 posts, read 702,864 times
Quote:
I can think of one thing he does not really get credit for because all the other stuff about him gets in the way: convincing the federal gov( Dept of Transportation) to support building the commuter train tunnel under Center City. One of the best things to happen to Phila. area transit.

Not every Democrat is a progressive, btw. And most progressives are not really Democrats. Proof? Bernie Sanders.

My biggest problem with Rizzo was how he seemed to not notice the decline in our life's blood: manufactoring. And, as I said, the out migration from the city picked up steam while he was mayor. For those 2 reasons it baffles what so much of the Rizzo love is about.
In fairness to Rizzo the manufacturing decline was inevitable though he did nothing effective to either strengthen the economy in other areas or to slow the decline.

His popularity at the time was mostly from his stance social issues combined with him being the little educated white working-class guy who made good. That plus he did use the city budget to reward his supporters and made no effort to thwart corruption. And you can’t underestimate how much his supporters valued Rizzo’s opposition to things such as school desegregation or his brutal “law and order” policing. He massively raised income and property taxes but as long as he made sure that blacks knew to stay out of the Northeast he was a hero.

His popularity now is entirely because of his stance on social issues. There is a significant portion of the white population that wants to roll the clock back to the pre-civil rights era on everything from race relations to women’s rights which is what Rizzo himself no doubt would have preferred.

Quote:
On CD, one of the things I’ve noticed is that most posters in love with him are white males (in as far as I know individual poster’s race and gender). The poster you quoted cares enough about the late mayor’s legacy that he posted from all the way out in Denver. That’s reverence!

I’ve not seen a great deal of love for Rizzo by POCs on CD. But this is a tiny sampling of the overall populous. Are you aware of many AAs who look back on Rizzo fondly? Most of the whites I know are not big fans, but you know: birds of a feather, and all that.
Rizzo had a small number of black supporters and he was a smart enough politician to know that it was in his interest to work with the rising group of black politicians at the city and state level periodically. He worked with Hardy Willams and others to get funding for the African American Museum for example. It was a jobs project for the unions and earned him goodwill with politicians whose support he needed on other issues. Rizzo didn’t have much formal education but he was a shrewd politician. That said, Rizzo got elected twice solely because blue-collar white voters were a majority of the electorate at the time. The 1970s were the last time someone like Rizzo would be able to win a mayoral election in Philadelphia.

Last edited by BR Valentine; 06-01-2020 at 01:27 PM..

Old 06-01-2020, 01:26 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,779,402 times
Quote:

I didn't notice about the Denver location because that poster is a Phila. native, came back here, and, has ,apparently, moved to Denver. I thought he was still in the Phila. area.

My ex-brother-in-law( a POC) was in the PPD when Rizzo was the commish. Not sure what his feelings were(he's passed away) about Rizzo. Nope, not aware of any big shout-outs for Rizzo among the AAs that I know.

Old 06-01-2020, 02:31 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,277,687 times
Quote:
I didn't notice about the Denver location because that poster is a Phila. native, came back here, and, has ,apparently, moved to Denver. I thought he was still in the Phila. area.

My ex-brother-in-law( a POC) was in the PPD when Rizzo was the commish. Not sure what his feelings were(he's passed away) about Rizzo. Nope, not aware of any big shout-outs for Rizzo among the AAs that I know.
That’s what I thought, but I didn’t want to make assumptions.

I wasn't aware of the poster’s roots in Philadelphia, but I have a handle on his politics.

Old 06-01-2020, 02:58 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,566,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
What about the good Rizzo did for Philadelphia? Bury that too? Why do you want to erase history. Because YOU don't like ti nobody else should be able to see it??? Progressives are control freaks. Very LAME.
so it's a very human condition that many folks will always remember the bad and one of the issues with Rizzo was most of his terms were controversial.

Now my family is African American so definitely no love lost and think the statue is the dumbest thing especially considering all the people philly could have chose from.

anyway I agree with as much problems the statue has had, why not just move it else where? it's always being defaced. it truly is like the confederate flag, he will always be associated with the bad

Old 06-01-2020, 03:03 PM

48 posts, read 58,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Um, no.

"MAGA" stands for "Make America Great Again," the slogan of Trump's 2016 campaign; you still see people wearing the signature red baseball caps emblazoned with that phrase. It's been shortened to an acronym to describe Trumpistas in general, or at least the core Trump crowd....

...not all of whom are Caucasian, at least not anymore. You must have been asleep while Kanye West was speaking.

And in the past couple of months, I've met several black men who live near me who are themselves fans of Trump, including one who despises his character but likes the results of his policies. Shoot — I think he has done some things that either needed to be done, are praiseworthy, or both. Yet I think his character and temperament make him unfit to hold the highest office in the land, regardless whether or not I agree with or applaud his specific achievements.
I didn't come here to be political, but this is a bit misleading. Kanye represents something in the neighborhood of 1/50000000 of the black people in this country, so maybe he is statistically insignificant. More statistically significant is Trump's polling vs. Joe Biden among blacks, which is currently hovering around 3%. Yes, you read that correctly, 3%.

https://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/wa...rs-83729989937

Now, to be fair, 16% of black respondents are undecided, so maybe the undecideds will jump his way like they did in 2016 he'll crack double-digits. But considering he lost the black vote 89/8 to HRC in 2016, and Obama's popularity has only risen in the last three years (not to mention the pandemic, record unemployment, and severe racial tension that is brutalizing us right now), I find that unlikely.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:33 PM

14,244 posts, read 9,132,787 times
Quote:
I can think of one thing he does not really get credit for because all the other stuff about him gets in the way: convincing the federal gov( Dept of Transportation) to support building the commuter train tunnel under Center City. One of the best things to happen to Phila. area transit.

Not every Democrat is a progressive, btw. And most progressives are not really Democrats. Proof? Bernie Sanders.

I think the simplest explanation I can think of is:

He's what Donald Trump wants to be when he grows up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
In fairness to Rizzo the manufacturing decline was inevitable though he did nothing effective to either strengthen the economy in other areas or to slow the decline.

His popularity at the time was mostly from his stance social issues combined with him being the little educated white working-class guy who made good. That plus he did use the city budget to reward his supporters and made no effort to thwart corruption. And you can’t underestimate how much his supporters valued Rizzo’s opposition to things such as school desegregation or his brutal “law and order” policing. He massively raised income and property taxes but as long as he made sure that blacks knew to stay out of the Northeast he was a hero.

His popularity now is entirely because of his stance on social issues. There is a significant portion of the white population that wants to roll the clock back to the pre-civil rights era on everything from race relations to women’s rights which is what Rizzo himself no doubt would have preferred.
(emphasis added)

What was it that I just said above?

Put another way, he had the Trump magic figured out years before Trump. He has this over The Donald, however: he did not insist on fawning sycophancy from those who worked for him, and he wasn't as petty and vindictive in dealing with those who criticized him.

Quote:
Rizzo had a small number of black supporters and he was a smart enough politician to know that it was in his interest to work with the rising group of black politicians at the city and state level periodically. He worked with Hardy Willams and others to get funding for the African American Museum for example. It was a jobs project for the unions and earned him goodwill with politicians whose support he needed on other issues. Rizzo didn’t have much formal education but he was a shrewd politician. That said, Rizzo got elected twice solely because blue-collar white voters were a majority of the electorate at the time. The 1970s were the last time someone like Rizzo would be able to win a mayoral election in Philadelphia.
We complain about politicians, but they serve a purpose. Again, Trump is a pretty lousy politician, even when he does work with others he doesn't care much for to get something done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.w. View Post
I didn't come here to be political, but this is a bit misleading. Kanye represents something in the neighborhood of 1/50000000 of the black people in this country, so maybe he is statistically insignificant. More statistically significant is Trump's polling vs. Joe Biden among blacks, which is currently hovering around 3%. Yes, you read that correctly, 3%.

https://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/wa...rs-83729989937

Now, to be fair, 16% of black respondents are undecided, so maybe the undecideds will jump his way like they did in 2016 he'll crack double-digits. But considering he lost the black vote 89/8 to HRC in 2016, and Obama's popularity has only risen in the last three years (not to mention the pandemic, record unemployment, and severe racial tension that is brutalizing us right now), I find that unlikely.
Indeed he did, but HRC lost because a sizable minority of black voters who turned out for Obama enthusiastically twice stayed home rather than vote for her in '16. Had she gotten as many black votes as Obama had four years earlier, she would have won Pennsylvania, and we wouldn't be having these discussions now.

True, 3 percent is a tiny fraction of the black electorate. But I hear more blacks (including a friend of mine I value highly; he's actually half-African-American, half-Dominican) openly stating their support of Trump this time around than I did four years ago. Trump is actually losing some support among his base, in particular older voters dismayed by his handling of the coronavirus crisis, but if he can pick off 2 percent of the black vote, he could win Pennsylvania narrowly again if blacks turn out for Biden in Hillary Clintonesque numbers.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:44 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,779,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
lol, I almost chocked on my pepsi reading this. You are pretty much the only one here spewing nastiness and name calling.
Like I said upthread, a big chunk of my family is white. And, I'm well, a mongrel, so he doesn't even know who he's talking to or about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia