Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2012, 10:52 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by readitnweep View Post
I remember that cartoon with the not-very-flattering rendition of Mrs. Caskey there. I was at NAU at the time it all went down, but yes, I remember hearing about it. I think that happened the year after I graduated ('84).

Roosevelt, I can't help you with the 1980 photo, though it looks like a couple of buildings I remember being near the Scottsdale civic center before they drastically changed it (back when Scottsdale HS still existed). In fact, I think the above-mentioned Mrs. Caskey was previously principal at Scottsdale before she moved over to Chaparral when Colonel Tom Smith moved on.
The 1980 photo looks like it was out on the north side somewhere. For 1980, there's not enough around it to have been in a fully developed area. As a restaurant, it doesn't look familiar, but it looks like it's in a slightly high spot, with a lot of open land behind it and some space between it and what looks like houses to the left.

Yes, as I recall, Mrs. Caskey was principal at Scottsdale, it would have been well after my time there, 70's or early 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 06:16 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,155,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
For those of you old enough to remember. What's the newest car you can spot?

Attachment 104130 Keep clicking on image, it gets larger.
Hard to tell what's what, but I did see a Studebaker,probably '51 or so, it has the "suicide doors".

The newest one looks like the yellow one making a right hand turn, but can't tell what it is.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:22 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,620,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
Hard to tell what's what, but I did see a Studebaker,probably '51 or so, it has the "suicide doors".

The newest one looks like the yellow one making a right hand turn, but can't tell what it is.
I think the yellow car is a '49 Buick; hard to tell with linen postcards, they are not very sharp. The old postcards printed in Germany before 1915 are a lot sharper.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Who knows where this popular place was. Photo is 1980.

Attachment 104129

More hints, a restaurant in Scottsdale.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:34 AM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Quote:
Who knows where this popular place was. Photo is 1980.

Attachment 104129
Could it be the restauarant that was up at the Scottsdale Airport all by its lonesome, "Tiger" something? Off of Butherus Drive, about a block east of Scottsdale Road and across from the Dial HQ. The building is very familiar, but also very generic. Otherwise, McCormick Ranch someplace?

Last edited by SluggoF16; 11-27-2012 at 08:50 AM..

Old 11-27-2012, 10:09 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Hungry Tiger? Don't think so, I thought that was more in McCormick Ranch area. I'm a little stumped on this one, although being by the Scottsdale airport is a possibility. I don't remember when that area got more built up.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:18 AM

6 posts, read 22,417 times
Observer53: I'd say Mrs. Caskey moved to Chaparral in 1983-84. Definitely my junior or senior year.

The only restaurant I can think of that was on McCormick Ranch in those days was the Monterey Whaling Company on McCormick Pkwy - other than the McDonalds.

Roosevelt: You've got me stumped (which isn't tough, I grant you). Popular restaurants I can think of from the 80s in Scottsdale don't fit the picture (Quilted Bear, Lunt Ave, The Other Place...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bob View Post
I recall ice skating (well, trying to anyway) in about 1960, perhaps before the Tower Plaza rink was built, in a big free-standing building on the north side of Thomas around 28th to 30th St, pretty much across the street from what's now Bourbon Street Circus (not that I'd know anything about that!).
You're probably thinking of Arcadia Ice Rink, which was there in the early 1960s and is still there at 36th St & Thomas. The building is now mostly hidden by the large strip mall with Walmart nearly blocking it from Thomas Road, but it's back there. My kids had lessons there last year.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:48 PM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Hungry Tiger? Don't think so, I thought that was more in McCormick Ranch area. I'm a little stumped on this one, although being by the Scottsdale airport is a possibility. I don't remember when that area got more built up.
I Bing and Google-mapped the airport, definitely not the Hungry Tiger (but thanks for reminding me what that name was). I learned to fly at Scottsdale in 1977 and there was NOTHING out there... Greenway was the northern boundary of anything until Pinnacle Peak Road. Where the Hungry Tiger was at the airport is now El Santo Cantina.

As for McCormick Ranch there was a place on the west shore of the northern lake by the parkway, which may be mentioned above as the seafood place but it wasn't Santa Fe style like Roosevelt's picture. If it was an upscale restaurant in the pic, then in 1980 I definitely did not eat there, I was a soph/junior at ASU driving a Pinto.

Need a better geographic reference to isolate the picture.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 11-27-2012 at 12:57 PM..

Old 11-27-2012, 02:09 PM

285 posts, read 904,334 times
Quote:
DesertSkies:

I do recall desert parties off 124th Street/Shea when I was at Chaparral HS at an area called "the ruins" which were the remains of a stone house off into the desert, north of Shea.

It is interesting to wonder how things could have been different. Not sure if the house your dad nearly bought is still there as they've taken out so much right in that area as they've built the shopping center where Steinmart is after the 101 went through.
Actually, the home he purchased is in the Sundown Ranch Acres subdivision. Our school bus stop was at 82nd street and Shea. Many a cold winter morning, it was common to build a small fire to keep warm while waiting for the bus to pick us up and off to Cocopah for the day. One morning, a lone fire truck from the Rural/Metro station came by and a fireman, with a striking resemblance to Captain Kangeroo (I kid you not), pulled up, he climbed from the cab and quietly (not even a simple "good morning kids") grabbed the hose and extinguished our little fire, though we had it under control (built against a stone wall with a sign that read "Sundown Ranch Acres"). He replaces the hose, climbs back into the truck and drives away .
The home my Dad nearly bought is at around 53rd (?) street and Shea. I can point it out if I'm driving by it, for it faces Shea Blvd. As for desert parties (boondockers!) we would go to around Bell and Pima Rd's, about where the CAP is currently running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBradley View Post
Same here! Hayden & Shea, also went to Chaparral!
Know anything about the large cocaine ring at Chaparral during the mid 80's?
Nik Richie + Dirty Army intel, opinions, gossip, satire, and celebrities | Chaparral High School In Scottsdale, AZ
After Chaparral opened (1973?), a lot of the students were brought over from Saguaro (myself included). Saguaro HS did have a party reputation. Seeing that the north portion of Scottsdale was growing, another HS was needed. I have memories of sitting out in the field with a large group of fellow students, just chatting and passing a joint or two. Teachers had to have seen this happening, but nothing was done to discourage the activity. Funny thing is all the cliques kinda got along during these few minutes. After a daily toke, everyone went their certain ways until the next day.

Last edited by desertskies; 11-27-2012 at 02:21 PM..

Old 11-27-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:

The only restaurant I can think of that was on McCormick Ranch in those days was the Monterey Whaling Company on McCormick Pkwy - other than the McDonalds.

Roosevelt: You've got me stumped (which isn't tough, I grant you). Popular restaurants I can think of from the 80s in Scottsdale don't fit the picture (Quilted Bear, Lunt Ave, The Other Place...)
The restaurant is Garcia's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area