Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2010, 10:58 PM

785 posts, read 619,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
All one would have to do is read a history book to know that this is true.
Which part? Your friend made some many whoppers its hard to know which reality he's tryng to live in. You really dont want to take up his positions on the history of racism. You do know, dont you, he just basically denied the history of the Roman Empire, Ancient Greece, and so much more. He's an idiot brainwashed by extreme politics. I do not suggest you follow suit.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:59 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,762,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtruth View Post
First, if Blacks see a white in a black area and assume its them buying drugs, thats an amazingly ignorant and racist assumption. Second, um, have you ever been to NYC? If not, you need to talk about what you know about. Whites have every right to go to a black neighborhood, NYC or Oakland or wherever. I have been to both places, as well as MOST major cities in this nation.

Also, this part by me:
it IS more dangerous for a white person alone in a rough black area at night than for a black person. The reason is simple and obvious, as there is the added element of racism from some thugs that would happen to be black (notice, i didn't say all blacks, or that all blacks are thugs).

I should have qualified by saying in a racial context. Put another way, it is more dangerous for a white person to walk in a bad black area alone at night in terms of racial violence than the reverse. That remains true.

Also, how did you get from this:

"Lastly, yes, you could be in danger in a racist white town, just as I am in Bed-Stuy, or the South Bronx, or Harlem, or Newark, or...take your pick."

to this...

"Do you really think there aren't an abundance of racist white towns? "

Either your comprehension is all wrong, or you are putting words in my mouth, projecting an arguement onto your opponent to then debunk the argument. Sorry, that won't work with me. I never said there are not an abundance of racist white towns. The burden of responsbility is now on you to show a qoute where I suggested such a thing. Feel free to duck the challenge. The only cost is your credibilty here. And your pride.

To break you down some more, however, lets define the terms. Is it a town that is MOSTLY racist? If so, how do you prove that? Is it a town where racists are the VOCAL and ACTIVE minority of the population?

I also notice you didn't deny that it is dangerous for a white person in the areas I listed, as well as their counterparts nationally. That alone drives a stake through your position.

Further again, yes, racism is found everywhere in America. In Black America, in White America, in Hispanic America, in Asian-Americans, etc.

Obviously the way you put it:

"Lastly, yes, you could be in danger in a racist white town, just as I am in Bed-Stuy, or the South Bronx, or Harlem, or Newark, or...take your pick."

was designed to convey that there are more dangerous black neighborhoods than there are racist white towns.

And who said white people don't? Your assertion that whites are in more danger than blacks in poor black neighborhoods is completely baseless and is based on your own prejudices as opposed to reality. You ASSUME that you're putting yourself in danger by going to a poor black neighborhood because of racism which you obviously won't put a statistic on because it would prove your assertion wrong. The reality is that white people more often than not don't get touched in the hood because they're seen as potential customers. Who is it that's actually buying the cocaine again?

And Harlem is dangerous for anybody, ESPECIALLY BLACK PEOPLE. You have no proof to stand on because you have none.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtruth View Post
Which part? Your friend made some many whoppers its hard to know which reality he's tryng to live in. You really dont want to take up his positions on the history of racism. You do know, dont you, he just basically denied the history of the Roman Empire, Ancient Greece, and so much more. He's an idiot brainwashed by extreme politics. I do not suggest you follow suit.

I'm studying the Roman and Greek empire this year in history... there was no proof of there being racism. There was certainly classism and nationalism but not racism. Plebeians are not a race.

And the position he took up is not a radical black panthers position either. I suggest you actually buy a recent European history BOOK. See what you find. Look particularly at the Portuguese and the British Empire.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:02 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Quote:
Great job at enlightening me about a city you've more than likely never set foot in. I guess that's why Oakland's a majority white city. Because none of them would ever set foot in it... oh please. Don't add your pure ignorance of Oakland into the mix.
Apparently you do need some enlightenment about your own city because you're wrong about the population breakdown by race.

Oakland CA population breakdown by race

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Race

Population by Race
White31%
African American36%
Native American1%
Asian15%
Hawaiian1%
Other/Mixed16%

RACE

One Race Percent in Oakland, CA
At the time of the last census survey, the number of people of one race in Oakland, CA was 379,573.

White Population in Oakland, CA
The estimated White population in the Oakland community is 125,013, which is 31.3 percent of the total population (The U.S. average is 75.10%).

Black Population in Oakland, California
The estimated Black/African American population is 142,460, which is 35.7 percent of the total population in town (The U.S. average is 12.30%).

American Indian and Alaska Native Population in Oakland, CA
In 2000, the number of American Indians or Alaska Natives in Oakland, CA was 2,655.

Asian Population in Oakland, California
At the last survey, the total Asian population in the community was 60,851.

Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islander Population in Oakland, CA
The number of Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islanders living in Oakland was an estimated 2,002.

Let me know if you need any more enlightening about your city, I'd be happy to educate you.

Last edited by Yac; 12-28-2011 at 05:20 AM..

Old 11-13-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Apparently you do need some enlightenment about your own city because you're wrong about the population breakdown by race.

Race

Population by Race
White31%
African American36%
Native American1%
Asian15%
Hawaiian1%
Other/Mixed16%

RACE

At the time of the last census survey, the number of people of one race in Oakland, CA was 379,573.

The estimated White population in the Oakland community is 125,013, which is 31.3 percent of the total population (The U.S. average is 75.10%).

The estimated Black/African American population is 142,460, which is 35.7 percent of the total population in town (The U.S. average is 12.30%).

In 2000, the number of American Indians or Alaska Natives in Oakland, CA was 2,655.

The number of Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islanders living in Oakland was an estimated 2,002.

Let me know if you need any more enlightening about your city, I'd be happy to educate you.

Notice how your source is from 2000. Try being up to date for a change:

"According to the 2006-2008 American Community Survey,[79] the racial composition of the city were 36.9% White (Non-Hispanic Whites: 25.4%), 29.8% Black or African American, 0.6% Native American, 15.6% Asian, 0.8% Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander and 3.7% from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos (of any race): make up 25.2% of the total population."

Oakland, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-13-2010, 11:08 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post

Race

Population by Race
White31%
African American36%
Native American1%
Asian15%
Hawaiian1%
Other/Mixed16%

RACE

It's pretty shameless goal-post moving for you to make the claim that "white people know there's a 100% chance they'll get shot at if they're seen in Oakland so they try to stay away from Oakland" considering that white people in Oakland are a plurality and then criticize him for erroneously stating that they are the majority.

So, let's get back to your claim that white people, who comprise 31% of the population of the city of Oakland, have a 100% chance of being shot in Oakland? Wouldn't it logically follow that 100% of white people in Oakland are dead right now and thus there are zero white people in Oakland? Perhaps there is a huge conspiracy by ACORN and the Black Panthers to pay white people from other parts of the county to pretend that they live in Oakland to cover up the huge ethnic cleansing of white people that backspace believes has occurred?

Old 11-13-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Obviously the way you put it:

was designed to convey that there are more dangerous black neighborhoods than there are racist white towns.

And who said white people don't? Your assertion that whites are in more danger than blacks in poor black neighborhoods is completely baseless and is based on your own prejudices as opposed to reality. You ASSUME that you're putting yourself in danger by going to a poor black neighborhood because of racism which you obviously won't put a statistic on because it would prove your assertion wrong. The reality is that white people more often than not don't get touched in the hood because they're seen as potential customers. Who is it that's actually buying the cocaine again?

And Harlem is dangerous for anybody, ESPECIALLY BLACK PEOPLE. You have no proof to stand on because you have none.

waah hahahahah!

You are serious? FIrst, I was looking for the stats, but got sidetracked. I did find something which I will post. Second, this is laughable:

is designed to say the hatred is the same, and there are dangers for both whites and blacks. For you to get this:

...out of that is just reaching on your part. I listed dangerous black areas, it doesn't even comment as to the number of dangerous white areas. If so, please point out how. We will be here a long time waiting. Try and not put words in someone's mouth, that wont work with me.

Sigh...I was actually starting to respect you, but you blew it:

YOU:
And who said white people don't? Your assertion that whites are in more danger than blacks in poor black neighborhoods is completely baseless and is based on your own prejudices as opposed to reality. You ASSUME that you're putting yourself in danger by going to a poor black neighborhood

ME:
Not, its a fact. The simple fact is that interracial crime is far higher BLACKS ON WHITES than the reverse. The designation of a hate crime is determined politically, by DA;s. Those same DA's dont dare go against the very biased DOJ (New Black Panther case any one?). Pure interracial black on white is far more numerous than the reverse, and isn't called a hate crime usually, to avoid the ethnic special interest groups/leaders. What, you thought we didn't know this?

because of racism which you obviously won't put a statistic on because it would prove your assertion wrong. The reality is that white people more often than not don't get touched in the hood because they're seen as potential customers. Who is it that's actually buying the cocaine again?

YOU:
Actually, in black nabes, its not usually whites buying it openly, they set up pick up points. Second, your own statement denigrates Blacks. The OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of Blacks do NOT have anything to do with the drug trade, even in the worst black areas. So, for them to leave whites alone as potential customres doesn't wash. In short, they dont stand to gain by those whites coming into their areas. To whit, there is more backlash against whites for their presumed purchase of drugs. Proof? See your OWN POST. You just stereotyped your own people. Wow.

The truth is, there is simply a higher percentage of racist blacks than racist whites in the modern age. I know you dont want to admit it, but its true.

YOU:

ME:
Yes, Harlem is dangerous for everyone, but for the simple act of walking through the neighborhood, far more dangerous for me than you. Your use of the stat of black males being shot 15 times more than whites is true. what kills your argument is that those same victims are ALREADY INVOLVED IN ILLICIT ACTIVITIES. Remember your own post about gangs in Oakland? That if you aren't involved, youre mostly cool? Yeah, that one. It applies here too. Comparing apples to apples, I am more in danger in a downtrodden black area than you in the converse.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:13 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,950,065 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=braQe...eature=channel

Old 11-13-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
I'm studying the Roman and Greek empire this year in history... there was no proof of there being racism. There was certainly classism and nationalism but not racism. Plebeians are not a race.

And the position he took up is not a radical black panthers position either. I suggest you actually buy a recent European history BOOK. See what you find. Look particularly at the Portuguese and the British Empire.
This:

I wasn't commenting on who started racism there, I was commenting on his bizarre remark that before roughly the year 1500, all whites were savages living in the caucaus mountains. Go read the post before commeting, ok?

Oh, I know history VERY well. The truth is he is wrong on the facts and history. Go look it up. I notice again, you avoided particulars taht kill your position. Dont care to comment on the fact that Africans started the Trans-Atlantic slave trade? If I was you, I wouldn't either. It just negates your ability to use the victim card.

Ooops.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:18 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
It's pretty shameless goal-post moving for you to make the claim that "white people know there's a 100% chance they'll get shot at if they're seen in Oakland so they try to stay away from Oakland" considering that white people in Oakland are a plurality and then criticize him for erroneously stating that they are the majority.

So, let's get back to your claim that white people, who comprise 31% of the population of the city of Oakland, have a 100% chance of being shot in Oakland? Wouldn't it logically follow that 100% of white people in Oakland are dead right now and thus there are zero white people in Oakland? Perhaps there is a huge conspiracy by ACORN and the Black Panthers to pay white people from other parts of the county to pretend that they live in Oakland to cover up the huge ethnic cleansing of white people that backspace believes has occurred?
Not a big fan of sarcasm I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies