Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 11:35 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
The job of every vet is important. Had I played in the Army band, as I almost did, I would still consider myself a vet.
Read up on the 7th Infantry Division Band, they were abandoned on the Yalu River in 1950 and wound up becoming one of the most decorated units in the Division
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 11:36 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownster View Post
How is a PX clerk in the Army putting themselves at greater risk than an ex-cop, or someone teaching in an inner-city school? The vast majority of military personnel are in virtually no danger at all. We spend a lot of time lambasting domestic government workers as being overpaid, lazy F-ers, but we deify those in the military, even if they sat behind a desk and logged in supplies, like a postal worker. It makes no sense.

Moreover, as someone who volunteered for military service 15 years ago, but was turned away due to a congenital heart condition, I am annoyed whenever any veteran holds themselves out to have more "courage" than me.
Look Clownster, I don't beat my own chest as having more courage than anyone else. I agree with you that cops and inner city teachers also put themselves out there to serve their communities, and they deserve some benefits for doing so as well. You're not going to hear me complaining about the pensions and benefits that cops, teachers and other public servants get.

What I disagree with is your statement that the vast majority of military personnel are in no virtually no danger at all. In case you've missed it, we've been at war for the past decade. I haven't seen someone walking around without a combat patch on their right arm in years. (Most have several patches to choose from.) Those who deloyed to combat zones but didn't see action still had to contend with roadside bombs every time they travelled and rockets and mortars being shot at their FOBs night and day.

A few extra points on applications for federal jobs is too much to ask for? Seriously?

Old 06-23-2011, 11:39 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
They have AFFIRMATIVE ACTION in the military, though. Vets get preference, live with it. If it has to be explained, you probably wouldn't understand anyway.
you dont get the point

1. there should be NO SUCH THING as ANY TYPE of affirmative action
2. I am a vet..not only a vet, but a combat vet...not only a combat vet, but a RETIRED after 24 years combat vet

Old 06-23-2011, 11:43 AM

46,311 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
How is a PX clerk in the Army putting themselves at greater risk than an ex-cop, or someone teaching in an inner-city school? The vast majority of military personnel are in virtually no danger at all. We spend a lot of time lambasting domestic government workers as being overpaid, lazy F-ers, but we deify those in the military, even if they sat behind a desk and logged in supplies, like a postal worker. It makes no sense.

Moreover, as someone who volunteered for military service 15 years ago, but was turned away due to a congenital heart condition, I am annoyed whenever any veteran holds themselves out to have more "courage" than me.
Don't know any vet thats says what you have stated....

I don't know what a PX clerk is either? Never seen a green suiter behind a cash register....your telling lies to help you out...so please stop...

The vast majority...what BS, as those guys in Ft. Worth....
99% of the military has deployed...there are few that have not...

Old 06-23-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
you dont get the point

1. there should be NO SUCH THING as ANY TYPE of affirmative action
2. I am a vet..not only a vet, but a combat vet...not only a combat vet, but a RETIRED after 24 years combat vet
As a fellow combat veteran, I agree with you. We're not talking about affirmative action though. We're talking about an earned benefit. I don't think a combat veteran should get a job over someone who is more qualified, but one's past experiences should be taken into consideration.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:45 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
This morning on the news they mentioned a special job fair for vets only.
I believe for many public service jobs you get points added on to your test score for military service.
I think there was a time when we had the draft and young people did not have a choice but to be drafted into the military it was fair.
But does that still hold true in today’s world where we have an all voluntary army.
Yes, it still holds true today. Military reservists and the National Guard, in particular, are prone to lose their job when placed on active duty. Since they lost their job as a direct result of their service to the nation, they are entitled to either be given their old job back, or given a preference when seeking another civilian job.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Yes, it still holds true today. Military reservists and the National Guard, in particular, are prone to lose their job when placed on active duty. Since they lost their job as a direct result of their service to the nation, they are entitled to either be given their old job back, or given a preference when seeking a civilian job.
Of course if they are from so called "Right to work" states, they have no such protection. Companies are free to fire them at will and attribute it to something other than their service to their country.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:51 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Fact is, they still served - as do the cop and teacher.

Quote:
Well, I wouldn't have done that and I don't know any vet with half a brain who would.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:52 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What does one have to do with the other?

They don't get proper care because their own millitary screws them.
I always thought they were OUR military.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:52 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Of course if they are from so called "Right to work" states, they have no such protection. Companies are free to fire them at will and attribute it to something other than their service to their country.
Incorrect. The Uniformed Services Employment And Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (USERRA) is a federal law and applies to all States and US territories. If a military member leaves their civilian job for service in the military, they are entitled to return to that job, with accrued seniority, provided they meet the law's eligibility criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies