Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 02:02 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Nope, not hardly. Like I said, I wish they'd disappear, because I've seen the damage they can do. Take that however you want. The term has a broad definition, and I've explained what I consider assault weapons.

I don't repeat myself often, usually to my 3-year-old grankid, just before I whack his butt.

I wish cops and federal law enforcement would disappear too, somehow I dont think either of us will get what they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 02:04 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,298,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Why does someone need a 1000cc Ninja racing bike that can go 150 mph when they can have a moped? Fortunately wants vs. needs nor the law are determined by what your feelings are regarding what other people should be allowed to own. Since you don't understand what an assault weapon is it's impossible for you to understand why people do or do not need them. A simple classic .22 caliber rifle that young kids use in Boy Scouts can be an assault weapon under the law with about five minutes work altering it with parts I can buy online.
Fair enough. Again, I'm not really fighting for or against assault weapons. Just thought maybe if you answered this question it would advance the discussion along...

Old 02-09-2012, 02:07 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,349,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
nope, an assault weapon/rifle is only a rifle that is a carbine cartridge rifle capable of firing both semi-automatic and automatic fire.

not one or the other, but both.

dude...still wrong. If you want to debate this at least look up the actual legal definition.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:09 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,172,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
boys and their toys? why not tell that to the millions of female firearms owners in the USA.
My point was that THE REAL GUN (PEOPLE) can't stop talking about them. No matter how much some anti or metro tries to shut US up. I've had guys I haven't seen in a year... The first thing out of their mouth was... "what did you buy last?" You can sit for hours, days on end talking with others who love them too. "Rambo" can't do that. He's full of hot air and the broads that think he's so damn cool. Well...their just clueless and think a football player is bulletproof. You want a tough guy? Pick one that can defend himself and his family NO MATTER WHAT. Their mouth is completely bulls***! Buy a gun!

Old 02-09-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Since these pictures do nothing to explain what the difference between the two ACTUALLY IS, and since you seem to assume that people are aware of the differences (since the pictures look virtually identical), ALLOW ME TO EXPLAIN:

One of those is a Colt/FN/Bushmaster M4 Carbine. It has a 14.5" barrel (which is not allowed for civilian ownership unless special permits/tax stamps and a lot of time are invested), special "bolt carrier group" (which contains the firing pin), and a trigger pack that allows for fully automatic/ burst fire.

The OTHER firearm is a Colt 6900-series AR15. It more than likely has a 16" barrel (legal minimum barrel length for a rifle), a SEMI-AUTOMATIC-ONLY trigger, and a "bolt carrier group" that DOES NOT ALLOW FOR AUTOMATIC FIRE.

One is used for military/law enforcement ONLY, the other is legal to own by civilians in MOST jurisdictions .

If anyone has any *specific* questions regarding AR15-pattern rifles, feel free to PM me and ask. I'm not going to clutter up this thread with information that's readily available to anyone with a simple Google search.

As an aside, even gun owners occasionally make mistakes in their arguments for gun ownership and related issues.

Feel free to PM him if you want incorrect info on the assault weapons ban. can you cite the section of the assault weapons ban law that specifies barrel length? Links?

Old 02-09-2012, 02:13 PM

15,096 posts, read 8,639,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
OK, a question, some person has just pulled a gun on you, are you honestly telling me you don't feel stress? If you don't, I'd like some of the drugs you're taking.

I'm not, nor was I, talking about TRAINING, shooting at a gun range is light years away from actually having to pull your gun on an armed perp.

I don't think I mentioned anything about debilitating adrenaline.
It's particularly stressful when you're forced to have your firearm unloaded, locked in a box, with the ammunition secured in a secondary location.

Rather inconvenient as well ... not so bad for the perp though ... me thinks he likes that scenario.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
Oh... I'm SO sorry for not making insinuations about how I could take out posters on this thread with my .22, or listing calibers and the number of rounds of ammo in my mom's basement! I'll do better at sounding like a mercenary next time, I swear! It's just hard for internet tough guys like me to make my point without propping myself up as some sort of John Wayne figure!

sorry man, my mother passed away in 2009, and my father in 1998. please dont go there.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
I'm curious though. After you're done with this little game, will you proceed to answer the initial question posed to you regarding why you need one (An assault weapon, regardless of what it is or isn't) to go hunting or targeting?

Or is this just a big shell game to take everyone's eyes off the fact that you really never answered that?

the answer was already given.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:16 PM

15,096 posts, read 8,639,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
Hmm, my girlfriend, her brother, her step-dad and I get to the range frequently. I am just suspect of people who make wild claims online, regardless whether said claims are about weapons or comic books or what-have-you.

I like talking guns too but what some people on this thread are engaging in is simply posturing.
And some of that posturing includes the idea that we should all cower in a corner, clutching a telephone begging for the police to hurry because the bad guy is now in the house and making his way upstairs.

I prefer the Clint Eastwood posture myself.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Fair enough. Again, I'm not really fighting for or against assault weapons. Just thought maybe if you answered this question it would advance the discussion along...

The point is an assault weapons ban is useless in trying to limit dangerous firearms. All it does is obstruct legal gun owners from owning certain guns.

Once again for all that missed it:

An assault weapon as defined under the law is a semiautomatic rifle that accepts a detachable magazine and has 2 or more of the following features:

Pistol grip
Bayonet lug
Adjustable stock
Flash hider
Grenade launcher

If I put this stock on a classic .22 rilfle, which is less powerful than some air rifles, it becomes an assault weapon and is a felony in my state right now.

Tapco® Ruger 10/22® T6 Stock, Stocks, Grips, & Accessories, Firearm Components, Shooting : Cabela's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies