Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2012, 05:08 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Mandating what private corporations have to offer is well, unconstitutional and not what our founding documents suggest.
I must have missed which Article and Section that says what private corporations can and can't offer. Can you direct me to that section?

The reason why I mention it is that courts have ruled that health insurance is part of interstate commerce, and area Congress has full domain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 05:10 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Why is it that America is the only Country that has heated debates about health care??????????????????
When are you and others going to figure out that this thread topic has absolutly nothing to do with healthcare and everything to do with resistance to increasingly totalitarian state seeking to infringe upon Constitutionally affirmed rights?

Old 02-10-2012, 05:20 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
I agree with you on the mandating... but on the part of what health insurance should or shouldn't cover should be negotiated between the insured and the insurer, should NOT be told what to cover by the government. If I don't want to have birth control coverage I shouldn't have to pay for it, if I don't want emergency room coverage, or urgent care, then I should be able to opt out of those things.

That's the problem with employer based insurance, the employer decides what's best for everyone, which is rarely actually correct. YMMV!
I'm saying that either the federal government should stay out of healthcare, or nationalize it.

All in, or all out.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I must have missed which Article and Section that says what private corporations can and can't offer. Can you direct me to that section?

The reason why I mention it is that courts have ruled that health insurance is part of interstate commerce, and area Congress has full domain.
No power explicitly given to the federal government within the constitution is relegated to the states.

Where does it say that the federal government can mandate that a private business must do what they say?

Old 02-10-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
No power explicitly given to the federal government within the constitution is relegated to the states.

Where does it say that the federal government can mandate that a private business must do what they say?
Quote:
The Congress shall have Power To

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;
If you try to argue that insurance is NOT interstate commerce, you have a steep legal hill to climb. This is settled law.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
If try to argue that insurance is NOT interstate commerce, you have a steep legal hill to climb. This is settled law.
I'm not saying it isn't settled law. I'm saying that the precedents that lead up to that being settled law were wrong, and if they wanted to regulate it, then there should be an amendment specifically granting them the power to do that.

Regulating commerce is not dictating that if you run this business, you must supply this service.

Whats next, tire salesmen must offer free mounting and balance by federal law?

How about a Republican President saying that if you offer abortions, then you must provide an ultrasound first?

This is why federal oversteps are such big problems, they cause more problems then they solve.

As I have said, numerous times now, I don't necessarily have a problem with health insurance companies having to provide contraception coverage. I think its not actually a bad idea, but its the next thing down the pipe that worries me.

Which is why it should be a power regulated to the states. The federal government shouldn't be used early and often. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying it isn't settled law. I'm saying that the precedents that lead up to that being settled law were wrong, and if they wanted to regulate it, then there should be an amendment specifically granting them the power to do that.

Regulating commerce is not dictating that if you run this business, you must supply this service.

Whats next, tire salesmen must offer free mounting and balance by federal law?

How about a Republican President saying that if you offer abortions, then you must provide an ultrasound first?

This is why federal oversteps are such big problems, they cause more problems then they solve.

As I have said, numerous times now, I don't necessarily have a problem with health insurance companies having to provide contraception coverage. I think its not actually a bad idea, but its the next thing down the pipe that worries me.

Which is why it should be a power regulated to the states. The federal government shouldn't be used early and often. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
If you think these laws and regulations are all unconstitutional, you are free to be the Orly Taitz of regulations and try to overturn centuries of rulings. Be my guest.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
If you think these laws and regulations are all unconstitutional, you are free to be the Orly Taitz of regulations and try to overturn centuries of rulings. Be my guest.
I try all the time, write the President and my elected officials to complain. Even if I didn't vote for them, they are still my elected representatives, and I ask them to do my bidding.

BTW, most of my opposition comes so that more abuse isn't done. But that doesn't seem to do any good.

Like I said, this kind of federal over reach can lead to a ton of things that liberals and conservatives won't agree with.

I think of the federal government as the nuclear option. It should be used rarely, if ever.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:14 AM

994 posts, read 725,041 times
Quote:
1) I don't know the Vanderbuilt College situation to speak on it.
2) Yes, schools, the hospitals, and universities in question are owned by the church. That doesn't take them under the blanket of religious organizations. They are indirect businesses. If the church happened to purchase all of IBM's stock, that wouldn't make IBM a religious organization. The vale of the church does not extend beyond the church itself.
First of all, IBM is not a nonprofit. Catholic hospitals are nonprofit organizations. As I said, there's a difference between a business owned by Catholics and an actual Catholic organization.

They are running it as an outreach/mission/charity/service organization. They dont' personally gain anything by running the hospital. So if you make operating the organization within the confines of their belief impossible, then it no longer serves any purpose to them. They might as well just say "Okay, bye"

I mean think about it. If you see a bunch of homeless people and walk up to one of them to give him $5 and he goes "no, give me ten" are you going to give him ten or are you going to give him nothing and go find another person who will be grateful for your $5?

That's essentially what you and the other "It's a War on Women!" people are doing. They're offering you free or discounted medical services in all areas except birth control and you're going "*********! Either give me birth control pills too or you can take your misogynistic diabetes care, heart surgeries, and cancer treatments and get out!"

And all the while you pat yourself on the back for how enlightened and tolerant you are, and call them bigots

It's really quite remarkable.

And by "you" in this message I am not referring to MTAtech personally, I'm meaning "you" in general.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:20 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
courts have ruled that health insurance is part of interstate commerce, and area Congress has full domain.
Sure it's part of interstate commerce, just like banking
is. That only means health insurance can be regulated
to protect consumer rights.
It does not mean it can be "mandated for purchase
by a citizen". Just like the federal government can't
mandate I put my money in a bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies