Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 12:22 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,881,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
"Dozens", huh?

Why do liberals hate being honest?

It takes less than a minute to write one post.

So even if I did post 36 posts that would be less than 45 minutes per day.

So using your liberal logic anyone who posts here can't have a family because they may spend a half-hour or so on the Internet per day?

Wow.

Liberals...ya' gotta love 'em!
Don't worry about it, he or she was trying that same crap with me, telling me I had no friends or family, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 12:28 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
My grandparents were probably a little racist (to be expected considering when they were born) but mostly because they never had an opportunity to interact with whites in a normal way. As they got older, they were welcoming to other people....even though initially there was hesitation.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:48 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times
Default Do You Have a Family Member Who is a Racist?

I'm sure everybody does, in fact I think there are very few if any who truly are not racist.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I'm sure everybody does, in fact I think there are very few if any who truly are not racist.
Not a whole lot is funnier than a good racial joke, without malicious overtones, of course.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:30 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,555,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
A buddy of mine has a black brother-in-law who, I guess, is a big-time racist. Dude despises white people, yet he married one. LOL!!!! Jokes on you, big guy!!
This is typical. Many Black men have let White women off the hook in regards to racism. They don't view them as racists. White women don't view themselves as racists. Both view White men as racists and oppressors. White women were and still are complicit in the discrimination of Black men, women, and children, but somehow, it's only White men who are viewed as racist. White women have a very difficult time owning up to their own racism, and Black men have a very difficult time viewing White women as racists.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:33 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,395,835 times
I have one relative, but they are sort of distantly related by marriage. I think it would be really hard since the family is basically a rainbow at this point.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:38 PM

31,075 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
My grandparents were probably a little racist (to be expected considering when they were born) but mostly because they never had an opportunity to interact with whites in a normal way. As they got older, they were welcoming to other people....even though initially there was hesitation.
Thats most likely the key. If you don't interact and aren't exposed to others that are different than you, stereotypes can easily control your view (Especially negative Stereotypes). In your grand parents era they may have had real reason to not interact with White people considering the times. I'm most impressed with people of that era that were able to pull thereselves from that mindset, considering much of the media rampantly reinforced negative stereotypes in the 60s and 70s. Actually, you can probably blame Hollywood for much of the perception that White people have of Black people during that time. Some people will just say it was entertainment, but as Germany showed the world, propaganda through the media is a powerful mind control tool. Sorry, I digress, and that is a different subject for a different thread.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:14 PM

31,075 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
This is typical. Many Black men have let White women off the hook in regards to racism. They don't view them as racists. White women don't view themselves as racists. Both view White men as racists and oppressors. White women were and still are complicit in the discrimination of Black men, women, and children, but somehow, it's only White men who are viewed as racist. White women have a very difficult time owning up to their own racism, and Black men have a very difficult time viewing White women as racists.
Interesting. Sounds like Sexism mixed with Racism? Do you think the women are viewed as possessions so they get a free pass? How does that plays out when White women have Black children? Are they, the White women, complicit in racism against their own children then? Are the children harmed in some way?

Old 12-31-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Thats most likely the key. If you don't interact and aren't exposed to others that are different than you, stereotypes can easily control your view (Especially negative Stereotypes). In your grand parents era they may have had real reason to not interact with White people considering the times. I'm most impressed with people of that era that were able to pull thereselves from that mindset, considering much of the media rampantly reinforced negative stereotypes in the 60s and 70s.
I agree. If that were me, I doubt I would ever move past it. I would be one bitter old man.

Conversely, the perceived racism these days in our younger generations is pathetic. They have no clue what racism is, they just know it as a buzzword and bargaining tool.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:47 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,555,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Interesting. Sounds like Sexism mixed with Racism? Do you think the women are viewed as possessions so they get a free pass? How does that plays out when White women have Black children? Are they, the White women, complicit in racism against their own children then? Are the children harmed in some way?
No. White women get a free pass because they are White women. That's how that works. The benefits that "whiteness" can have in a Black man's life is profound. A White women and half-white children in a majority White American society is what many strive for. Attach that desire to women who desire men they were once forbidden to be with, along with the attention they get for being with these men, and you have a very unique match. Furthermore, White women generally do not view their half-Black children as Black. They view them as biracial, separate from Black children born to two Black parents. Historically, the one-drop rule came into existence because the mixed children born at that time were of Black Slave women and White Slave owners. The child was to be the condition of the mother. That is why half-white kids were considered Black. Their status was that of their mother. And yes, at that time, White women were complicit in the oppression of these half-White children, even if these kids had White fathers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies